Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting an apartment in Leixlip

Options
  • 08-07-2009 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to rent an apartment in Leixlip, but I don't want to house/flat share, I only want somewhere with 1 (or 2) bedrooms where the rent isn't extortionate. I will be the only person living/renting the flat.

So far, I've found places in the following area's, but apart from the Main Street, I have no ideas where any of the places are.

Beechpark
    Louisa Park
    Barnhall
    Main Street
    Riverforest
    Liffeyview
    Louis Bridge
    Easton
    Gleneaston
    Castletown

I'll actually be attending the V.E.C School there from September (as a student) and was hoping maybe someone could tell me where that is exactly? And what areas would be near to there for renting?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Heya,

I don't know where the V.E.C is, is there a full name for it?

But i am renting in Leixlip, you can expect to pay around 750 a month (1 bed apartment) and upwards. Leixlip is quite small, so it won't really make a difference where in Leixlip you take an aparment, just find one you like. There's busstops outside, if not very close to all those places you mentioned.

If you take a look at google map here you'll be able to have a look at Leixlip, zoom in and you'll find pretty much all those places you mentioned.

If you have any other questions, ask away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Hi,
    Thank you. I actually don't know for sure where abouts exactly the V.E.C is - all I can suggest is maybe looking here at this websites & it might give some indication: Kildare V.E.C

Do you know how far out form/close to the town/main street are those places though? I understand Leixlip is small, but I'm actually looking for somewhere as near to the town as possible because some of my classes are from 8-10pm, so I don't want to go walking through housing estates & the like at that time of night, especially alone, because I am not familiar with Leixlip, I've never even been there, so I wouldn't know which estates are good/bad etc.

Hey, how's things.

The place you're looking for is down the Mill Lane.. The Mill lane is just off the main street, see here. You could walk from the traffic lights in the centre of the village, to the mill lane in 5 minutes or less.

If you wanted to be close, best bet would be an apartment on the main street, there's some above Alvitos (Resturaunt at the corner of the traffic lights).

Would be worth your while driving around (or having someone drive you around) Leixlip, so you can see the distances for yourself.

Thanks for your help.

I think I will actually take a trip up there (I'd need to go up anyway to view some places lol) in the next few weeks and see the distances & then look at a few places.

Thanks again, you have been very helpful.

I just got an email from them with directions to the center...
    We are situated in Mill Lane. Coming from Dublin side, pass Springfield hotel, cross the bridge and take immediate right. Reach firestation, veer right, continue to end ofroad and turn into the right. (small business park) The centre is there on your right.

Is this far out from the town/village? I know you said Mill Lane is only 5 mins or less form the traffic lights, but this seems a bit further than 5 mins, but maybe I'm wrong, as I've said, I've never been to Leixlip...

• Advertisement

Really, its not that far at all. Don't forget you're probably going to make friends at these classes anyway, and you'll probably end up walking with someone from the class.

Don't be freaked by the fact its called a "lane", there's houses, a firestation and a housing estate down there.

Bring a friend with you, take a trip down during the day, see for yourself.

Thanks again, you've been very helpful.

I'll go up with my Mum soon and see how we get on.

Cool, let us know if you've any questions or whatever.

Good luck with the course!

Quick question about rent allowance.

Do I have to go Leixlip/Kildare Social Welfare Office/County Council or do I go to my local one?

Thanks.

PS: I didn't think I needed a new topic for the question, so asked in this topic (obviously, haha!), apologies if I was wrong.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'd imagine you would have to go to Kildare CoCo

It may take a good while tho

have you settled on a place?

• Advertisement

i'd imagine you would have to go to Kildare CoCo

It may take a good while tho

have you settled on a place?
    Thank you.

No, see a few places I've found on the net don't accept Rent Allowance/Social Welfare, only a small few do. So I'm gonna ring Kildare CoCo tomorrow and see what they say. Depending on what they say, I am thinking of going to Leixlip next week and maybe book viewings for the places that do accept rent allowance.

My only worry that is, as the rent in Leixlip is €700+pm they'll tell me to sod off (not in those words obviously lol) because I am not from Kildare, I'm from Westmeath and a student loan/alowance isn't an option as I'm not going to a uni.

Anyway, as I said, I'll give 'em a ring tomorrow morning and see what they say.

Thanks again for your answer.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i think realisticly, a 1/2bedroom apartment on your own will hamper you.

anyway, its fun sharing with people!

i think realisticly, a 1/2bedroom apartment on your own will hamper you.

anyway, its fun sharing with people!
    What do you mean "hamper me"?:confused::o

I know ot might be fun sharing with people, but I'd like to know who I'm sharing with, what they're like, they're background etc, cos I don't want to end up living with people who may use drugs etc.:o I know it might sound stupid, but anyway lol...

Can anyone help me find anything on the Kildare CoCo website about rent allowance please or even a phone number?

I have spent at least an hour looking and cannot find anything useful to me.

The only thing about student grants I can find are for 3rd level eduction, but I'm not going to 3rd level so those pages are no use to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

-Orlaith- wrote: »
    Can anyone help me find anything on the Kildare CoCo website about rent allowance please or even a phone number?

I have spent at least an hour looking and cannot find anything useful to me.

The only thing about student grants I can find are for 3rd level eduction, but I'm not going to 3rd level so those pages are no use to me.
    These links might be of some use,
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

And heres a link to where you can go to speak to the community welfare officer in Leixlip or give them a call and they should be able to help you,
    http://findaddress.citizensinformation.ie/service_finder/query.py?category=Citizens+Information+Centres&county=Kildare&town=Leixlip&submit=FIND+ADDRESSES

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Thank you so much, much appreciated.

Advertisement