Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering in Africa

Options
  • 08-07-2009 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi there,

Im looking for help/advice/tips you name it!i have been seriously considering going volunteering in africa for a while now. I hope to go next year around april/may time as i am currently on placement with college.

Firstly, I don't know where i want to go or what i want to do.

do i have to be qualified in any particular area?

do i have to raise much money to go on a trip?

what experiences have you had in africa and would you recommend the whole experience?

anyway.....im open to any advice at all.....something to get me in the know!!!

thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Well if you give more info I can suggest a few things.

First up, what are you qualified to do, and how long would you like to go for?
    You could do things that require no qualifications, but you'll generally get charged a lot for that. Taking volunteers can need a lot of admin work so they have to be worth the effort for projects to take you.

Look into Suas if you're in college, VSO, VSI, Goal etc if you're not. General rule of thumb is more qualified you are less you have to pay. If you're not qualified then it's a case of the more adventurous you are the less you'll pay. So if you want something totally safe and planned i-to-i will make you re-mortgage your parent's home to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cathalosullivan

i dont have my degree yet but i will hav completed 3 years doing accountancy including a 7month placement. ideally id like to spend between 4-6weeks out there but i am fairly flexible!

il have a look into those places, hopefully they will have something appropriate for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Suas are a superb organisation, and are Irish, and run programs in both Africa and India. Their placements are 10 weeks long, however start in June so if you were willing to go a little later then I'd look into applying for one of their places. Well worth it.

The other global (gvi, i-to-i etc) ngos will offer a wider variety and will be more flexible with when you go. You also have the added bonus of getting to volunteer with people from all over the world.

You almost certainly will have to raise money, no matter who you go with but you have plenty of time. Bag packing is a gold-mine. If only I could set up the "WeeBushy Foundation" I'd never have to lift a finger again :D seriously though they are a great way of raising money, but book early as places fill up all year quickly in a lot of the bigger supermarkets.

Just some things to consider!
    Good luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I think maybe you should look into Suas for next summer.
    These things take time. No decent charity will take someone who hasn't spent months preparing.
    I've had to deal with unprepared volunteers in the past, total nightmare!
    Also, with regards the accountancy - I know for a few charities I've worked with they would love someone to look after their accounts, but it would have to be for 6 months, maybe a year. We'd never let anyone coming for 4 weeks touch the books in case they changed things or something.
    It's up to you, if you can afford i-to-i and want to go fast, off you go. If you can wait, Suas are more genuine.

Advertisement