Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle finish - Effect on hunting?

Options
  • 08-07-2009 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question for those of you who have used a few rifles over the years. Do you feel that the rifle finish has any implications in the field?
    I know some people who refuse to use stainless or plated barrels for hunting as they insist that the shine or glare from them can scare off various animals? Yet other insist its just superstition?

So, i'm looking for evidence based on expierence? Have you found animals to be spooked by a nice shiney barrel?
    So any opinions on blued, matt, stainless, nickel finishes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

I think the only time this would ever have any adverse affect on hunting would be in a hide or a tree stand situation,beyond that I couldnt see how one would have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I think that a barrel sporting a deep lustre blued finish can have as much glare as a shiny stainless job in certain light conditions ie. midday winter sun in a clear sky. I honestly don't think it make any difference with regard to rabbits and foxes But that said, i carry a light scrim net which i drape over the rifle while i lay in wait. Pigeon and members of the crow family i find are much more canny about stuff like that, your barrel could be rusty as hell and they would still spot it.
    Whats much more important is to keep still and not create a outline in your backdrop.

Hezz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

hi mellor, thats a very interesting question .

in todays market of real tree this, mossy oak that ,i even had the privilege or taking off a thong in kammo not to long ago:;) .

you would think stainless barrels might be a no no .i have used a 75 s/s from the time there were out in ireland and have had no problems .

i re barreled my rifle and its covered in duracoat now and my other stalking rifle is a standard blued gun.

have no worries about a stainless gun just worrie about the big fat head hanging over it .

on the pluss side it does not rust as quick .

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Polished SS and nice wood would effect your hunting but only because you'd be too afraid to scratch it:)
    So yes i do think finish does have implications in the field but maby not for the reasons you might think IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I have a stainless steel barrel, wouldn't change it for the world. Although, I did notice that the wabbits were running away quite a lot. I had a blued barrel before. Been hunting for about 15+ years, so experience is not an issue.

I covered up the stainless steel barrel with some camoflague tape, noticed the differance.

The modifier I use is big and bright too. On a sunny day it does stick out like a sore thumb.

There is a differance, but it's difficult to prove since I can only speak from experience.

Logically enough, if a deer, fox or rabbit see a shiney long thing comming for them, they are not going to stick around to see what it does. Are they?

• Advertisement
Advertisement