Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing up in Navan!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jazzy cian

- bo - wrote: »
    I never really got in to the whole laps of the shopping centre thing. I loved The Maze though, our mams would head shopping and we'd be content for hours in The Maze.

The BC diner, loved the place, me mam used to take me there a lot. I don't really remember much about it, mainly the American car regiatration plates on the walls. Every Sunday we'd go to either The Valley or Burger Express. Still fairly fond of The Valley every now and again, lovely grub.

Chrissy Weldon, everyone knows Chrissy. I remember being in the shop on Brews Hill on my sister's communion day in 2000, Chrissy came in and saw my sister in her communion dress and gave her 10p.

Did my knacker drinking under the bridge between the fire station and Abbeylands, good memories.

:pac:

go on the maze!! And them fish tanks! Chrissy roared**** OFf into my face on brews hill one day! Mental bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jazzy cian

top ten video, video-vision, the food basket beside Claremont, nctv and does anyone remember when everyone was into cb radios and doing quizzes on them? No mobile phones or internet back then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

lukesmom wrote: »
    hahaha lunatic. google his name there and look what comes up! My brother knew him. Crazy mo fo!:D

Yes, I googled him there, What a head case, I see he never got sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rockynavan

charlemont wrote: »
    Knew a mad c*nt from Navan, Paschal Wall. Only meet him once, but left an impression as a mad thing.
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shinney81

I remember the old shopping centre, remember the swimming pool, remember the huge bonfire in claremount at halloween. Remember bosco (old man, used to drink a lot, usually be outside finnertys on the corner) remember the video games in the pool room in the tailtean. Remember when mc d's was the post office. Chrissy is still on the go, my mum and mil worked with her though and she was apparently totally normal until something horrific happened, that caused her to be like she is now. REmember damien english serving chips. Remember a chipper on the corner under army value?

Remember how the library used to look inside..... oh wait, its still the bloody same lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Yeah they spent a fortune on the Solstice but the library still looks exactly the same. Dull, gray depressing building. Definitely needs a lick of paint. Also Corpus Christi - Haven't a clue why but everybody would go down to the centre o town and walk around? That has stopped now.

Going for sunday dinner to the Beechmount restaurant. It was burned down in a fire years later.

St. Patrick's day in Navan is a sight to behold and still almost exactly the same, although they have introduced a more festival market feel by injecting a bit of culture in there. Everyone waits for the floats to pass which are usually tractors and fca marching etc. Then a walk through cornmarket over to the amusements. Always a rough feeling over there. Brought my son (9) last year and still feels as rough as ever.

Meeting down the lane on trimgate street beside dunnes for a smoke in the morning. All sitting on our hunkers. Don't know what we were thinking. Getting a teachers son from st.pats to do fake ID's for us and he got caught and we had to give them all back. They cost us 30 quid each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Anyone else remember the video juke-box in the Shopping Centre?

Had such timeless classics as Frankie by Sister Sledge and The Heat is On by Huey Lewis and the News.

A couple of jaunts around the maze followed by a tune on the video juke-box and everyone goes home happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

paulocon wrote: »

The Heat is On by Huey Lewis and the News.

That was Glenn Frey :D

I remember that restaurant beside Army Value, it was in a basement with a low ceiling. It was beside a material shop which is now Albany.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vincentdunne

shinney81 wrote: »

Remember how the library used to look inside..... oh wait, its still the bloody same lol.

It has just had a facelift inside, mmm .... still not that different but hey! automatic doors, wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

kelle wrote: »
    That was Glenn Frey :D

I remember that restaurant beside Army Value, it was in a basement with a low ceiling. It was beside a material shop which is now Albany.

Jaysis, so it was... how have I gone through life thinking that was Huey Lewis? Must have also had The Power of Love on it.

Don't think I ever saw a video juke-box anywhere else before or after!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TheeItcha

I was on boards for I can't remember now, but came across this thread and it has made me very homesick.

I'm 22 and have been living in Asia for the past two years.

A lot of things already mentioned, the Giraffes, everywhere closing early on a Sunday, the Valley. The Maze, the laps. I worked in Hartens actually for two years from 2007-2009 on weekends when I was still in college.

Few things to add, shoes always came from Jacksie Kiernans, Uniforms from Geoghans or jesus whats his name again directly across the road in trimgate street right beside the church where the old xtra vision was? Buying all your books and stationary from MJ's arguments over whether we should eat at Macari's or the Valley before settling on the China Garden. Haircuts in Aidan Barrys.
    Sunny days spent on the hilly green beside the library and st finians terrace

I used to sometimes deliberately forget my lunch at home in the hopes my Mam would bring me in a roll from Connelly's(Still adamant there the best rolls ever) worked about 8 times out of ten.
    Sometimes dreading nice days, as I knew it meant a trip out to the Commons hardware and a hard days grafting in the garden with my Dad.

Always straight into the flat house after getting of the bus for a whizz.

Jesus, I'd give anything just to walk around the town for a day.

Them were the days

Speaking of Chrissy and Characters. Does anyone remember small Rosy I think her name was. and of course mad Eddie!

Just to say the Dot is the best teacher ever bar none!

"Does anyone remember small Rosy I think her name was. and of course mad Eddie!"

Aw wee Rosie died last year I heard. Who is Eddie???????

I went to Scoil Eanna the all Irish school in Navan. We first had school where the 'old tec' is, which is now where youthreach is. Then for a year we were sent to school on church hill in a room, just us in 4th class. This was due to refurbishments I think. Was strange all the same. Loved the library. Remember the no-name club? I only went a couple of times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

"Does anyone remember small Rosy I think her name was. and of course mad Eddie!"

Aw wee Rosie died last year I heard. Who is Eddie???????

Used to have brekkie in the coffee shop in Clark's supermarket over the sports den, buttery toast - yummy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayquinn1

Remember the public jacks on Kennedy road. About where supermacs is now.
    Remember Suzie's cookhouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

TheeItcha wrote: »
    I was on boards for I can't remember now, but came across this thread and it has made me very homesick.

I'm 22 and have been living in Asia for the past two years.

A lot of things already mentioned, the Giraffes, everywhere closing early on a Sunday, the Valley. The Maze, the laps. I worked in Hartens actually for two years from 2007-2009 on weekends when I was still in college.

Few things to add, shoes always came from Jacksie Kiernans, Uniforms from Geoghans or jesus whats his name again directly across the road in trimgate street right beside the church where the old xtra vision was? Buying all your books and stationary from MJ's arguments over whether we should eat at Macari's or the Valley before settling on the China Garden. Haircuts in Aidan Barrys.
    Sunny days spent on the hilly green beside the library and st finians terrace

I used to sometimes deliberately forget my lunch at home in the hopes my Mam would bring me in a roll from Connelly's(Still adamant there the best rolls ever) worked about 8 times out of ten.
    Sometimes dreading nice days, as I knew it meant a trip out to the Commons hardware and a hard days grafting in the garden with my Dad.

Always straight into the flat house after getting of the bus for a whizz.

Jesus, I'd give anything just to walk around the town for a day.

Them were the days

Speaking of Chrissy and Characters. Does anyone remember small Rosy I think her name was. and of course mad Eddie!

Just to say the Dot is the best teacher ever bar none!

Shut the **** up Joycey.......Smell of ye

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DarrenLamb

Father Phantom.

He was a great priest. His chalice work was effortless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

DarrenLamb wrote: »
    Father Phantom.

He was a great priest. His chalice work was effortless.

He used to say a great mass....He also went to 1994 world cup!!...Superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DarrenLamb

He used to say a great mass....He also went to 1994 world cup!!...Superb!

Triffic priest. Best priest bar none.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joedared

some thread. I rekon everyone knows each other here. An earliest memory of Navan was going to the matinee in the Lyric cinema on a Sunday afternoon. Buying a bag of pineapple chunks of Mrs denning next door.
    Before the shopping centre was there it was wasteland used by local travellers. Full of horses and Romany caravans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Not from navan but as kids we were bought there for our weekly shopping. I remember the maze, there was a short way out of it and a longer way. Beside it was the record shop, The Record Sleeve I think it was called. It was before CDs came out and I can still remember the revolving cassette tape holders on the back wall. Also beside the maze and on the wall beside the talking parrot was a poster of Sir Francis Beaufort and the importance of the Beaufort Scale.

Also remember bailieboro co-op, I think it's called, it was a hardware store as you come into town on the N2. I remember mishearing my mum and thinking she said "bailieboro blew up", "I'm not going there" I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sakinah

Buying pirate tapes at the Friday market, 3 quid for 1 or 2 for 5 pound and hopefully they hadn't been raided by the gardai

The maze and the barometer. When Penny's was expensive.

Sunday lunch at the Beechmount hotel.

When Clogherboy park was called 'Little Beirut'

Walking to Johnstown village on a sunny day hoping Mam would buy me a pack of Frosties in the one shop. Walking in woods in Johnstown on Sundays before it all became housing- picking up birds eggs in spring and trying to see the deer on the land beside it the woods

Getting my school coat bought in Buy Right Stores to my shame

Trying to sell schoolbooks to MJs for a good price

The excitement when Cordners shoes first opened followed by the disappointment that we couldn't afford anything in there

Apple drops by the quarter for 50p from the shop acrosst he road from the library (gone now).

Going to the movies in the Palace and getting a colouring sheet with puzzles on it for free for kids

Buying smelly soaps as Xmas gifts from Valueland

The year Hartens opened the upstairs at Xmas time and filled it with toys- I was wishing for a vtech computer

Worked in the Coffee Dock and i was the first female altar server in st Mary's.

Mercy vs Loreto

Walking the 'backtracks'

When the takeaway became Ezios :(

Blagging ur way into Oisins and before that into buck mulligans.

When the garage on the Dublin road was the Statoil

Playing on the weir in the Boyne during the summer

The BC diner

Thems were the days

Sakinah wrote: »
    Buying pirate tapes at the Friday market, 3 quid for 1 or 2 for 5 pound and hopefully they hadn't been raided by the gardai

The maze and the barometer. When Penny's was expensive.

Sunday lunch at the Beechmount hotel.

When Clogherboy park was called 'Little Beirut'

Walking to Johnstown village on a sunny day hoping Mam would buy me a pack of Frosties in the one shop. Walking in woods in Johnstown on Sundays before it all became housing- picking up birds eggs in spring and trying to see the deer on the land beside it the woods

Getting my school coat bought in Buy Right Stores to my shame

Trying to sell schoolbooks to MJs for a good price

The excitement when Cordners shoes first opened followed by the disappointment that we couldn't afford anything in there

Apple drops by the quarter for 50p from the shop acrosst he road from the library (gone now).

Going to the movies in the Palace and getting a colouring sheet with puzzles on it for free for kids

Buying smelly soaps as Xmas gifts from Valueland

The year Hartens opened the upstairs at Xmas time and filled it with toys- I was wishing for a vtech computer

Worked in the Coffee Dock and i was the first female altar server in st Mary's.

Mercy vs Loreto

Walking the 'backtracks'

When the takeaway became Ezios :(

Blagging ur way into Oisins and before that into buck mulligans.

When the garage on the Dublin road was the Statoil

Playing on the weir in the Boyne during the summer

The BC diner

Thems were the days

Is Clogherboy not considered to be a 'little beirut' still? Maybe it quietened down a bit.

Yeah I remember my brother coming home telling me about poor Ezio :( all the pats lads love that place.

Is the coffee dock in the shopping centre yeah? Or is that the coffee garden? I know two sisters who worked there :)

Ah god yeah hartens upstairs I remember that well.

Didn't one of the Harten kids have a clothing store, really popular in the centre. Bought a couple of things there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Didn't one of the Harten kids have a clothing store, really popular in the centre. Bought a couple of things there.

I think it was in the unit that's Jack & Jones now....

It's a shame that places like the Trimgate Arcade was let go to loss really, it used to have a few little different shops before Albany took over - I used to really look forward to going to Mary's (aka The Blue Hole) there was something so olde worlde about it. I hear it was gutted in a fire a couple of years ago :(

I really miss The Pepper Pot too...the brown bread pizza, the chicken curry and Connie. There were 2 spinster sisters who came in every day and ordered the same thing for as long as I can remember - 2 slices of ham & a boiled potato.

Pretty sure it is Jack n Jones, Cormac's shop, not sure if he's still involved.

Used to adore the Pepper pot's brown bread pizza!

Feel like I've missed out on this brown bread pizza I don't remember it. I used to get an open chicken sandwich and a coke. Ah down the blue and the smell of chicken and fags combined. An entity never to be repeated :) sitting by the fire drinking tea from those cheap white tiny cup and saucers, Mary cooking away in the background. You had to go through their little kitchen to use the toilet.

Feel like I've missed out on this brown bread pizza I don't remember it. I used to get an open chicken sandwich and a coke. Ah down the blue and the smell of chicken and fags combined. An entity never to be repeated :) sitting by the fire drinking tea from those cheap white tiny cup and saucers, Mary cooking away in the background. You had to go through their little kitchen to use the toilet.

It was quite a thick base with a helping of tomato, onion & mystery meat topping. I always suspected it was luncheon roll.:rolleyes: In all fairness Jimmy & Jackie were very obliging when it came to getting something not on the menu - e.g. on Good Friday, they used to make me a Crostini with mushrooms instead of ham.

In Mary's when you asked for Cream Buns a plate with a selection would come to the table, you took you pick & brought the plate back up to the counter. Kip and all that it may have been, it was a lovely little hideaway.

washiskin wrote: »
    It was quite a thick base with a helping of tomato, onion & mystery meat topping. I always suspected it was luncheon roll.:rolleyes: In all fairness Jimmy & Jackie were very obliging when it came to getting something not on the menu - e.g. on Good Friday, they used to make me a Crostini with mushrooms instead of ham.

Something tells me it was salami, topped with loads of cheddar, can't be sure, just adored it though, my nan used to bring me every saturday :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 xena

Wow, know it's old but only found this now. My dad used to own Walsh & Kealy's so I grew up around Market Square. Remember the Beaufort bar, Henry Loughran's etc. McDonagh's where you could get Tvs repaired, Spicer's on the corner, hairdressers up Metges Lane Heatons, banks, Clowry's butchers, LOL. I remember a guy coming into shop in a hurry, asking for eggs. I asked ordinary or free range? He looked at me like I had two heads. Turned out, he was part of a group after tying a stag to a lamp-post , stripping him and wanted to throw eggs at him!
    I think the shop was also the only one at the time to sell escargots!
    And yes, it was called the clinic because it opened at 9.15am ....but it closed at 6pm each night. Stories to tell..
    And don't start me on Watergate Street where my dad grew up - Robert Walsh's jewellers, Mohan's clothes, Lorenzens butchers....And my grandfather used to be one of the few to possess a radio so he used to play it to all on the street when Lord HawHaw used to come on during World War II.
    Anyone remember the Mollies, Hughie meehan-quinn, McGeeney, 'cup of tea', the list of characters goes on....all gone now.

• Advertisement

xena wrote: »
    Wow, know it's old but only found this now. My dad used to own Walsh & Kealy's so I grew up around Market Square. Remember the Beaufort bar, Henry Loughran's etc. McDonagh's where you could get Tvs repaired, Spicer's on the corner, hairdressers up Metges Lane Heatons, banks, Clowry's butchers, LOL. I remember a guy coming into shop in a hurry, asking for eggs. I asked ordinary or free range? He looked at me like I had two heads. Turned out, he was part of a group after tying a stag to a lamp-post , stripping him and wanted to throw eggs at him!
    I think the shop was also the only one at the time to sell escargots!
    And yes, it was called the clinic because it opened at 9.15am ....but it closed at 6pm each night. Stories to tell..
    And don't start me on Watergate Street where my dad grew up - Robert Walsh's jewellers, Mohan's clothes, Lorenzens butchers....And my grandfather used to be one of the few to possess a radio so he used to play it to all on the street when Lord HawHaw used to come on during World War II.
    Anyone remember the Mollies, Hughie meehan-quinn, McGeeney, 'cup of tea', the list of characters goes on....all gone now.

Was it your Dad's place that was commonly known as The Clinic?
    I loved that shop also the Wool shop that used to be on Watergate St. I reckon it's the last "original" street left in the town now with Byrnes, Walshs & Mullens still trading.

Advertisement