Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

western union payment

Options
  • 08-07-2009 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hey

I have never used western union. I was told I can go to a bank (AIB) and ask to transfer money using western union. And that I only need full name+address of the recipient. Then I would be given a number in return that can be used by the recipient.

Can anyone confirm that it is possible? This looks very light (no account number of the recipient ...)

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I don't think AIB do Western Union. Most main Post Offices do though.

The basic process is as you outlined, which is why it makes it quite a vunerable system. The whole idea of WU is that you can wire money to anyone (no accounts needed). Unless you trust the person involved, I wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Thank you. This is what I needed to know :)

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

You can actually do this pretty easily online using your credit card. I transferred money to a friend of mine in the US. The only "issue" I had was that I had to phone them up to authorize it and they also wanted a copy of my passport I think so I had to email them off a copy of that. But once they had it, it went through straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

As a previous poster said, be sure you know or trust the person you are sending the money to. A lot of scammers use western union as a method of payment as they cannot be traced. If it is for a product you are selling and you have to send back remainer of money for overpayment, avoid it like the plague.

Advertisement