Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Script Reader Wanted

Options
  • 08-07-2009 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find a script reader/Editor to work with here in Ireland. I'd preferably like to work with someone with a bit of experience although I wouldn't have the funds to pay someone full time. It's for a first time feature length script which I've done a lot of work on but which needs an input from someone other than myself. Any help would be greatly apprreciated, Thanks.
    TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Terror O'Hara

To anyone who's interested, I haven't had any luck finding an Irish based script assessment service but have found this service in the US. Their fee works out at around €43 and they sent me coverage within 72 hours which included synopsis and comments.

http://screenplayreaders.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Was the feedback any good? I don't mean did they think the script was good but were you happy with the critique you got? Did they go into enough detail etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Terror O'Hara

The synopsis part is a bit superflous as it's not telling you anything you don't already know although it would be handy in identifying the main plot points if you were writing a treatment. The comments section was very useful, it basically starts off with a couple of positive points, the **** scene was very amusing etc. it then goes on to point out where the script is going wrong and goes into character, pacing and structure. It also points out areas where the script could be improved (e.g. expand on this theme more or bring this conflict into the story earlier). The comments section runs to about 2 pages and while the script reader pulls no punches it's done professionally and constructively rather than the usual 'I don't like this genre of film so I'm just going to trash your script'. Overall I'd have to say for the price I found it well worth the money, I found out a lot about my script that I would never have picked up on my myself. It's just a pity that such a service isn't available in Ireland (especially one so impartial). Hope this helps, if you do decide to use their service let me know what your impression was.
    Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Sounds like a pretty good and standard script report so. That's pretty good value. The synopsis is less for you and more for people you send the script to, or what they'd hand up to the agent or production company if they were working in one of them.

I'm surprised there's no Irish based script-reading service. Makes me tempted to set up one myself, I guess it's because there's fewer oppurtunites here, so people generally end up in the UK to get experience in script-reading etc. and just end up staying there.

Seems like a good deal for that price though, especially if you found it helpful. The biggest thing I learned in Uni was how to take criticism (and give it :P) and getting professional reports back on your work always helps. It's also why you always start with the positive comments in script reports, to soften the blow of the negative feedback. The other major thing I learned in Uni! Also it's the negative feedback that you need to remember, so that's last. Negative feedback is always the most helpful I find, because it makes you think about your script in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

For future reference www.scriptwrite.tv And I'm based in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement