Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Characters Real and Fictional

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Clanket wrote: »
    Rathmines is full of characters. The rather large woman who drags around an old school dublin trolley, dressed in shiny pink dresses, always wearing tehnicolour socks and some sort of knited hat.

The tall man who can only be described as having a funny walk. He drags his left leg as though it's a dead weight and moves his whole body in a circular motion. He moves about 10 foot a minute. Every time I see him I wonder how long it takes him to get where he's going.

There's plenty more. Spend a half hour in the charity shops and you'll see some interesting people.

Have to say I love Rathmines though. Full of all sorts

i know a lot of people from rathmines and have drank in every pub there, there certainly is a lot of 'characters' in the area, some of the pubs are nut houses. i could mention names but you probably know them already. do you know the tall country fella from belgrave square that goes by the nickname 'big foot'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Rathmines has a great mixture of people from different backgrounds .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭bb1234567

paddyandy wrote: »
    Rathmines has a great mixture of people from different backgrounds .

Ye if feels like london there at times, id say about 50% or more of the people in rathmines are of some ethnicity other than white irish.Quirkey sort of area...a bit run down though..would be nice if some of the buildings were maintained better . All the georgian houses(or what look like georgian houses)along the road are in a very bad way.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Ye if feels like london there at times, id say about 50% or more of the people in rathmines are of some ethnicity other than white irish.Quirkey sort of area...a bit run down though..would be nice if some of the buildings were maintained better . All the georgian houses(or what look like georgian houses)along the road are in a very bad way.
    I was thinking of irish backgrounds ; education, wealth ,people on the dole, counties are well represented returned emigrants and a few real looking pubs .I live in what is too working class .No mix at all .
    I had a bedsit in grosvenor sq ....a tiny place which needed heating almost all the year round ...i don't miss that but old houses are cold .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Anyone know the old man from the Beech Hill estate who walks round Donnybrook wearing a long beige mac and carrying a plastic bag and shouting stuff at people? I engaged him in conversation once and he told me he's from Tipp. He's harmless but I couldn't get much sense out of him. I'm curious as to his story.

The Streets need characters to give a place something ........character .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Clanket wrote: »
    Rathmines is full of characters. The rather large woman who drags around an old school dublin trolley, dressed in shiny pink dresses, always wearing tehnicolour socks and some sort of knited hat.

The tall man who can only be described as having a funny walk. He drags his left leg as though it's a dead weight and moves his whole body in a circular motion. He moves about 10 foot a minute. Every time I see him I wonder how long it takes him to get where he's going.

There's plenty more. Spend a half hour in the charity shops and you'll see some interesting people.

Have to say I love Rathmines though. Full of all sorts

there's a guy I see all the time. bout 40ish, tall, curly hair , often times wearing a fishermanhat , jeans and blazer, talks to himself all the time looking dazed and confused.

also, the GILF, really glamourous looking oul wan always dolled up.

In London years ago (1960s & 70s) the street characters got nothing if they had no address and there was very little else .Here in Dublin i'm told they don't have to have an address to get the welfare .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

orl677 wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in on the reminiscing with a question but..

Has anyone spotted the following character around over the last few months, i've seen her a few times myself, twice up around Dorset street and once walking down O'Connell Street.
    Its a woman, maybe late 30s, who looks, hmm i'd say content in her own world. Im not being mean now when I refer to her at all, im simply intrigued. She wears (im not joking) PINK, head to toe. Same outfit everytime i've seen her. She was wearing a pink wooly hat, pink jacket, top, trousers, leg warmers, runners.. quite a sight to behold I must say. For some reason I would just be fascinated to know anything about her, fair play to her and her love of the colour :)

She spoke to at the bus stop last year, seemed harmless enough ha

• Advertisement
Advertisement