Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the U.S. with an Irish phone - how do people with American phones call me?

• 08-07-2009 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi folks,

I'm in the U.S. for the summer and I have an Irish mobile with me. I can't seem to work out the prefix that people with Amercian phones need to use to call me while I'm here. I know that to call American numbers I just dial their number prefixed by 011. I thought that in order to call me people would dial 00 353 86 xxxxxxx, but that doesn't seem to work. Does anyone know the answer? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If they're dialing from a mobile, they can just put +353 instead of 00353.

If they're dialing from a landline, they need to dial 011353<number>

The "00" is an international access code which tells the exchange that the next number is a country code. In the US the international access code is "011".

The easiest way around this is to store all numbers in your phone with a + instead of a 00. This means that the network knows it's an international number, you don't need to know the actual access code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

skybluejay wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm in the U.S. for the summer and I have an Irish mobile with me. I can't seem to work out the prefix that people with Amercian phones need to use to call me while I'm here. I know that to call American numbers I just dial their number prefixed by 011.

You shouldn't need to dial 011. The American number should work as is (including the initial 1 which isn't always quoted as part of the number.

But, yeah the best practice is to store the number as (for example) + 1 456 ......

And when you're ringing back to Ireland, make sure the number is in the form + 353 so that it definately works.

Oh, and I'm sure you know this, but if people in America ring you now they'll be charged an international call, and you will also be charged roaming costs for receiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

As Richard points out those calls cost extra so it could just be that their (US persons) mobile account doesnt allow outbound international calls and thats why its not connecting.

Advertisement