Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car just serviced

• 08-07-2009 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Howdy people,

Just had my passat serviced last week.

Two things I wanted to ask

1) roughly, what would it cost for a set of rear brake pads & rear brake discs (ball park figure parts and fitting if possible thanks)

2) Battery might need to be replaced (so I 'm told) -
    whats the general lifespan of a car battery, almost certain a new battery was only installed last year.
    So, if its the case that a new battery was only put in last year and there meant to last 5 years, i'll be looking to have it replace under warranty or something along those lines

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

You're not supplying much information, but my first impression is that you've been had.

1) At a guess it would be ~€250 for pads, discs and labour. Instead of asking what you should have been charged, you should ask if the pads and even more so the discs needed to be replaced at all.

2) IMHO theres no such thing as a battery that 'might' need to be replaced. It needs to be replaced when you park the car on friday evening with a charged battery and it doesn't turn over on monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Snookered

Gurgle wrote: »
    You're not supplying much information, but my first impression is that you've been had.

1) At a guess it would be ~€250 for pads, discs and labour. Instead of asking what you should have been charged, you should ask if the pads and even more so the discs needed to be replaced at all.

2) IMHO theres no such thing as a battery that 'might' need to be replaced. It needs to be replaced when you park the car on friday evening with a charged battery and it doesn't turn over on monday morning.

Thanks Gurgle
    apologies for lack of info - without naming names etc...

I haven't had the work carried out yet

What I was told was the rear pads and discs were worn low and need to be replaced - still a few miles left on them

Regarding the battery, I understand what you are saying - that has not happened,
    what I was told is that it is leaking slightly and may need to be replaced shortly (but again should be ok for the moment)

Hence I was asking about the lifespan of a battery, becuase I only have the car a year and was told the battery was only replaced before I got the car???

Any ideas
    Cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Snookered wrote: »
    Thanks Gurgle
    apologies for lack of info - without naming names etc...

I haven't had the work carried out yet

What I was told was the rear pads and discs were worn low and need to be replaced - still a few miles left on them

Regarding the battery, I understand what you are saying - that has not happened,
    what I was told is that it is leaking slightly and may need to be replaced shortly (but again should be ok for the moment)

Hence I was asking about the lifespan of a battery, becuase I only have the car a year and was told the battery was only replaced before I got the car???

Any ideas
    Cheers

doesnt matter how long you have it tbh, the battery is a consumable item, which means you need to replace it and it wont be covered under warrenty unless the car was bought brand new, then you may have a chance of it being replaced for you.

in regards to the leak, it could be only small now but bad next week and unless you keep a good eye on it you'll never know so for the sake of a 50e-60e battery which you can swap over yourself i would get the new one as soon as you can imo.

the rear pads should set you back about 50e, the discs mabe 100e so about 200-250 for a full fitted service although that price can drop significantly depending on if your using a garage or getting a nixer done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

kceire wrote: »
    in regards to the leak, it could be only small now but bad next week and unless you keep a good eye on it you'll never know so for the sake of a 50e-60e battery which you can swap over yourself i would get the new one as soon as you can imo.

If a battery is leaking it should be replaced under warranty.

Also take a close look at the battery tray and clean it well or it may not be there the next time you look due to the acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Snookered wrote: »
    If its damaged, lifespan isn't relevant.
    Generally 3-6 years would be reasonable, can be longer with good maintenance.

I still don't understand the "might", if it's leaking you need a new one. If its over-filled it will splash out a bit until its not over-filled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement