Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGonigle

• 08-07-2009 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know this irish watchmaker?
    I find the tourbillon very interesting and it s worth a look definitely...pity it costs 120K :eek:

mc-platinum.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭Origipolo

Hi folks, yes I know the two guys. John was a few years ahead of me, but I was in the same year as Stephen. We usually meet up once or twice a year, mostly at the fete des vendagnes in Neuchatel. Check out the link below, Ron DeCorte (who lives down the road from Stephen in Neuchatel) does a nice introduction to the first watch. This is the pinicle of watchmaking, the tourbilion is the finest made I have ever seen. Some good pics of it, and a picture of the lads with coffey at the end..... not!! If yer ever in Neuchatel, dont forget to pop into cafe du cerf, you should run into Steve there, and the Guinness is top notch...

http://www.timezone.com/library/rdnotebook/200512184599
    http://www.cafeducerf.ch/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Did he have to put his name on it though - McGonigle is a piss take character in the simpsons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭Origipolo

MooseJam wrote: »
    Did he have to put his name on it though - McGonigle is a piss take character in the simpsons

As far as I'm aware the Simpsons is an American cartoon about a disfunctional family. I can't see the horological link though...? Oh right MooseJam, I think I get it now!?!. I'm not sure if the lads are aware of the Simpsons but I'll pass on your observational prowess with regards to animation to them. I'll let John and Steve draw their own conclusions with regards to your horological prowess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Origipolo wrote: »
    . I'm not sure if the lads are aware of the Simpsons

Perhaps they aren't but everyone else is and McGonigle is a frequently occuring piss take character in it, it's nothing to do with horology it's brand recognition ! I would be very surprised if they consulted a marketing firm before deciding on the naming of their watch.

I would imagine anybody wearing a McGonigle watch would find themselves asked about the Simpsons a lot.

It's a very fine watch but the name is unfortunate, just my opinion but when i hear McGonigle I think of the character and I'm sure it's the same with many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Regardless of the Simpsons connections, like all Irish names, McGonigle lacks the elegance that a watch like that deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭TurloughT

Watchmakers at their level are expected to put the makers name on the dial. Its not like creating a brand name where you can pick anything you like and make up a history and/or brand values.
    If they were to choose another name it would cheapen their watches in the eyes of collectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

There's no reason why they couldn't have given the watch an individual name while keeping the McGonigle as the atelier so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Blancpain means 'white bread'

The McGonigles are at a level most people in Ireland can't even comprehend.
    The Simpsons indeed:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

D'oh!

Advertisement