Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jacket potatoes?

• 08-07-2009 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi guys just a quick question :) I'm not trying to lose weight really but I'm trying to cut down on bread as I feel it's making me bloated and also eat healthier in general. Instead of a sandwich for lunch, I've been having a jacket potato with tuna. Is this actually healthier than a brown bread sandwich? I find it fills me up for longer but is it bad eating this most days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

It depends who you're asking. I am a big fan of the potato in general. It's very nutritious, low in calories and satisfying. They are rich in vitamins and minerals, particularly folate and potassium, and even contain a few grams of protein! Potatoes eaten in moderation also do not hinder weight loss, contrary to popular opinion. The best kind of potato you can eat (with the lowest glycaemic index) is a baby new potato. Your average jacket potato weighs 225g. 200g of baby potatoes looks like much more food and is better for your blood sugar levels. However low-carb advocates will tell you to avoid potatoes and they will make you fat.

As for whether it is better or worse than brown bread, it depends on the kind of brown bread you are eating. If it is a processed sliced pan, then yes, your spud is much better, as brown sliced pan is nutritionally vapid. However if it's a good wholegrain bread, small stodgy slices, that's just as good in my opinion.

Also I would advise you to vary your lunches if you want to stay interested in your food. I hope this has been helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Miskatonic

Thanks for that info neuro-praxis :) (newbie so can't use thanks button!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Yeah neuro was pretty much spot on there :) Tbh if you enjoy one potato a few times a week, and that's your biggest sin, you're probably doing ok ;)

Recently I got into ryvita which is also another decent alternative to bread, and adds a bit of variety. It works great with Smoked salmon and tuna in particular I find, and it doesn't bloat me like bread would.

Advertisement