Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

17 year old: Steps required in Learning how to Drive

• 08-07-2009 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭

Good morning,

I turned 17 in May, so at the time of writing this that would put me at around 17 years and 2 months old.

Without an abundance of preamble, here are my questions.

What are the steps required in learning how to drive? Bear in mind that I'm starting from scratch - I don't even have my theory test done.
    How long is my theory test valid if I do it this summer? I would like to get it finished before I go back into 6th year (September) as I'll have enough to study with the Leaving Cert than to be studying for the theory test.
    What is the average waiting time between booking and actually sitting the theory test? Should I study for it, then book it? Or should I book it, and then study for it?
    After finishing the theory test, do you have to apply separately for a Provisional? Do you apply for insurance at the same time as getting the Provisional? My knowledge becomes a little hazy when it comes to Provisional and insurance.

Thanks for reading - I hope you were able to decipher my post :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

[Edit: Looks like Donegalfella got in before me :-) ]

Hi,

Well it seems you have some idea of the initial steps but just to clarify.

Booking the Driver Theory Test:
    I'm assuming you are going driving a car so you will be doing the Cat B test. The waiting time depends on the center you do it in but it is generally not too bad and there is a online booking system so you can see the free slots available. You can choose the center so if you are willing to travel you may be able to find a date soon. Check out www.dtts.ie for all the info - you are looking for the DTT section.

Studying for the Theory Test :
    The theory test consists of 40 multiple choice questions of which you need to get 35 correct in order to pass. The complete question bank is published in book format and CD format. The CD allows you to do a 'mock-test' where it will generate 40 random questions and limit the time so its the same as what you will do on the day itself. There has recently been an update to the set of questions so when buying ensure you get the 4th Edition of the book or CD. Personally I would get the CD. Both are approx €18 I think. Depending on your current rules of the road knowledge it will take anything from 1 week to 1 month to study for this. Some questions are easy, some are not so easy and some you just have to go with the answer they give in the book :D I would suggest getting either the book or CD first, do a sample test without much study and see how you get on....if you get 10 out of 40 then give yourself time, if you are getting 38+ then book a date!

Getting a Learner Permit:
    Once you pass the theory test your cert is valid for 2 years but in reality you may as well get the Learner Permit immediately. Note, Provisional Licences no longer exist and you will be applying for a Learner Permit! The application process is straightforward, forms available in any Garda station or Motortax office, you need an eye sight report, 2 passport photos, the Theory Test cert, the completed application form and the fee! You can either post it or go in person to the Motor Tax Office.

Insurance :
    You can only get insurance once you have the Learner Permit. Now I'm assuming you dont have a car and wont be buying one immediately. Therefore, insurance will either be being added as a 'named driver' on to either your parents/brothers/sisters car etc. This can be expensive so check it out. If you are only going to do lessons with an instructor using the instructors car then you dont need separate insurance - the instructor pays - you must however hold the Learner Permit first.

Getting Lessons :
    Once you have the Learner Permit sorted book a few beginners lessons with an ADI instructor and you have started learning to drive!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

just to add, id recommend gettin the Theory Test CD and rules of the road book.

The theory test book is a bit of a waste imo: on the CD ya can go through every single question, and it generates random tests that look and feel exactly like the real test.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 amy-marie

Just to add, since you'll be on your first permit you'll have to wait 6 months before you can take your test. I didn't know this before I started, and it was a real pain in the arse to find out weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jc2008

Thank you for all the replies, they were all extremely helpful.

I'll get the CD then for the theory test. I have Windows XP SP2 so it shouldn't be a problem. I already have the Rules of the Road booklet (I don't know what version it is - but it still mentions 'Provisional Licence' so it's quite outdated).

Is Version 4 the newest version for the Theory Test CD?
    Is the Theory Test CD and the Rules of the Road booklet enough to study all the material necessary for the Theory Test?

Thanks for all the replies

Hi,

For the theory test purposes all you really need is the CD.

The Rules of the Road book will be useful when you start to drive and is a useful reference at any stage as it has lots of info on all aspects of driving including some info on the driving test etc. I would not be too concerned if its slightly out of date - its possibly one of the copies delivered free to every house a few years ago. If you do want to purchase a new one they are cheap - last time I checked it was €4 in Easons.

Good luck with the theory test.

Declan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Forsaken1

Did a search and found this site which has only reputible instructors on it

http://www.roadready.ie

Sent one an SMS for a quote.

Forsaken1 wrote: »
    Did a search and found this site which has only reputible instructors on it

http://www.roadready.ie

Sent one an SMS for a quote.

Just to clarify that site is simply an advertising site for instructors (they pay a fee to be listed) and while the instructors on there will be ADIs I think learner drivers are better directed to the full ADI list published by the RSA rather than a subset.

Thanks for all the replies everyone

For the theory test: Do I have to book it online or can I go to the testing centre and book it in person?
    Do I pay for the theory test when I am booking or when I am taking the test? Also how much is it at the moment?

Thanks

• Advertisement

The easiest way is to book online but it is possible to book by phone or via a postal application form.

The fee is €35.60 and is payable by credit card/laser card when booking.

This page should answer all of your questions about the procedures for the Theory Test :

http://www.dtts.ie/english/driver-theory-test/faq.php

Sorry for dragging my thread up again, but it is relevant.

OK I did my theory test - it went fine.

When applying for my Learners Permit, I need to submit an Eyesight Report. Do I have to bring a form to any opticians for them to do this? Would I need to get this form from the Motor Tax Office or will printing it off the internet suffice?

Thanks for reading and replying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

The optician will supply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

I just got an eye test done by my GP and supplied them with a GP note

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Donegalfella, you're a mine of information! :)

I went into the opticians today. They did supply the form and were able to give me my eye test straight away. It went fine and my eyes are ok to drive without corrective lenses. It only cost €9.50 - I expected it to be dearer.

I also got passport photos and visited the Motor Tax Office and applied for my Learner's Permit. I got a receipt and told my Learner's Permit will arrive in the post in 10 working days.

Hi all

I received my Learner's Permit in the post today. My mother is on about booking lessons shortly.

As usual, a few questions :o

1): I believe you have to wait 6 months between receiving learner's permit and the actual test. Does this mean 6 months before applying for the test or 6 months before actually doing the test?

2): Is it better to get a lesson, then practice a bit before getting the next lesson, or to get a 'block' of lessons and then practice? I'd hate to pick up bad habits before I learn otherwise!

3): A Learner Permit holder has to be accompanied by a full-licence holder (who had it for over two years) at all times. Does this person have to be the person who has you as a named driver on their insurance?

Thanks for reading.

jc2008 wrote: »

1): I believe you have to wait 6 months between receiving learner's permit and the actual test. Does this mean 6 months before applying for the test or 6 months before actually doing the test?

You can apply anytime but you may not do the test for 6 months so as soon as you are nearing the standard apply even if it's in 3.5 to 4 months time as 6 months will have passed before your test date, don't worry about that for a while yet anyway ;)
    2): Is it better to get a lesson, then practice a bit before getting the next lesson, or to get a 'block' of lessons and then practice? I'd hate to pick up bad habits before I learn otherwise!

I would just get one hour lesson to see how you get along (or not) with the instructor and if the instructor is good then book a block of lessons most instructors will give you a deal on a block ;)
    3): A Learner Permit holder has to be accompanied by a full-licence holder (who had it for over two years) at all times. Does this person have to be the person who has you as a named driver on their insurance?

No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RSA ADI MARK

hi jc2008,remember leaning to drive is a life skill so dont rush,take lessons and practice,and enjoy your new skills.

• Advertisement

Thank you for all the replies!

Is it possible to get L-plates that are easily removable? The reason I ask is because I will be sharing a car with my mother (common enough) and as she has been a full-licence driver for about 30 years I thought it'd be better if I took the L-plates down after I drove the car (although she said she wouldn't mind). I don't mind buying in a shop or buying online - I'd just like ones that are easily removable.

Thanks.

hi jc2008 you can buy magnetic ones easy on easy off

hi jc2008 you can buy magnetic ones easy on easy off

Can you get ones that work tough???

The usual shop bought ones are crap and fall off. I had one "good one :)" on the back for a few weeks then lost it then put on the second one to replace it and it lasted for part of a 5 mile trip it was gone when I arrived at the other end :rolleyes: May-be buy 2 sets then take the magnets off one and superglue them on to double up the magnets on one set.... They are not really suitable for the front of most cars either as most of the metallic areas point skywards.

There are 2 types of magnetic L plates - ones which just have a 2 strips of magnetic material either at the top and bottom or left and right hand side. These ones are pretty crap :eek: and as you say will typically blow off if its windy or if you are driving at any speed > 50km/hr.

The other kind are printed on a fully magnetic sheet so the whole surface area is a magnet. These will stay on under most conditions - you can get them in Halfords for about €7 I believe - just make sure they are the fully magnetic ones as they sell the strip ones also.

I have booked my first driving lesson for tomorrow. I know I still have to wait ~6 months before I can take my test but I'm just booking one so I can get the basics and then I'll do a bit of practice when I get insurance.

What should I expect from my first driving lesson? I am being picked up at my house but I assume I won't be driving on the road the first time.

hi jc2008,the first thing should be the cockpit drill,then the controls understand the pedals ,moving off and stopping ,gear change ,you should go somewhere nice and quite to start,mirrors and signal can come later,and ask to see the instructors badge,its big with their picture,goodluck and enjoy

Thanks for the replies!

I had my lesson today - I was nervous before but as soon as I started driving the nerves went away - my instructor was very nice.

He took me to a low traffic road to start out with, and we practiced moving out and pulling in. Then we drove more, onto heavier traffic roads. I actually really enjoyed the lesson - driving can be fun!

Despite having very little driving expierence, I do have a few bad 'habits'. I tend to keep signalling before checking mirrors, but I think I have that one sorted now. If I wasn't concentrating on my hand position on the wheel, sometimes my hands would cross over, but he said practicing on a circular bread board or something can easily fix this habit. Also, sometimes I'm so caught up in thinking about gears, brakes, clutch, signalling, mirrors as I'm turning onto roads I forget to look at the speed limit sign. He always asks about 1km up the road what the speed limit is and it's only then I realise I didn't look :o

I only cut out once, and that was on a slight hill start (I didn't press the accelerator in enough).

Besides from that, I thought it was a good first lesson. Next week I am going to do a lesson in town.

As a side note, he had a Toyota Yaris. I found this a very good - extremely forgiving. I was slowing down off a main road and put the gear in second (tight turn to the left that I was taking). However, I accidentally put it in fourth (I was in fifth when I was slowing down) instead of second but it still made it around the turn ok - my mother's old Starlet wouldn't have!

He said when stopping, you do not need to work down through the gears (which my dad does) - he said that was only done with older cars where the brakes weren't that good but nowadays the disc brakes are good enough to stop the car without using the engine to stop it as well. Is this true? I thought you could be marked down in the test if you stop in sixth gear or any gear that isn't second.

hi jc2008,good to see you enjoyed yourself,some testers will mark you down for stopping in any gear higher then 3rd,but enjoy yourself for now,[no thinking of test]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭J_R

hi jc2008,good to see you enjoyed yourself,some testers will mark you down for stopping in any gear higher then 3rd,but enjoy yourself for now,[no thinking of test]

Hi,

If they do then you have a word with their supervisor. You can stop in ANY gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have to disagree there, there is no reason to be marked down for stopping in a higher gear. If anything i'd argue it's safer and better for your car.

hi jr & alanstrainor if you take your test in waterford and stop in 4th you will be marked [not making proper use of gears ] you should not get used to stopping in higher gears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

hi jr & alanstrainor if you take your test in waterford and stop in 4th you will be marked [not making proper use of gears ] you should not get used to stopping in higher gears

You still haven't provided a reason for this being the case. It seems absolutely ridiculous to me. Provided you must come to a complete stop, surely stopping in a high gear ie the gear you were in before starting to brake, would be the best practice. As has been said on this forum many times before, gears to go, breaks to slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭J_R

You WILL NOT be marked for not changing down. If a pupil of yours was marked for gears it was not becase they did not change down, but for some other reason.

If an examiner did mark, then as I said in previous post you should immediately contact the supervisor for your area. Failing that, Ballina.

Even the manual for my car says you should not change down.

Hi, thank you for all the replies.

I'm relieved that you don't have to change down through the gears - it makes it easier for me if I can stop in 4th gear etc.

I've got an insurance quote from Axa of €1420 for one year as a named driver on my mother's car (1998 Toyota Starlet 1.3L engine).

However, this is a lot of money (although I expected it to be that expensive as I am a 17 year old male). I'm thinking I might just take lessons, not get insurance, and do my test in my instructor's car (09 Yaris). Do many people do this? I understand that without practice outside of lessons I will make it more difficult to pass, but I'm hoping I might be still able to. (Besides failing the first time isn't the end of the world - lots of people fail first time and I would consider them to be good drivers now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

That €1420 is very reasonable for your first insurance quote.

Mine was about the same when I was 18 on a 1l corsa. That was with FBD (We also had home/business/public liability/motor policies with them hence discount)

I would advise against insuring yourself for a year with the temptation to drive unaccompanied etc. Get a good few lessons and you should pass the test, it really isn't that hard.

Save your money, get your insurance when you have a full license. (I found it impossible to get a rebate when I passed my test (3mths remaining). Insurance companies seemingly don't like writing cheques!

Thanks for the reply!

I suppose it's not a bad price for insurance, but it is as a named driver. I've decided not to insure myself until I've taken the test (taking lessons in the meantime). If I pass my test, I will get insurance then for hopefully a bit cheaper. If I fail, I will only be down €75 (it would have been a lot more had I gotten insurance).

The date of issue, according to my Learner Permit, is 22-07-09. I assume it's six months from this date that I have to wait before I take my test, which would mean that I can take my test after 22-01-10.

Should I book my test now? I am nowhere near prepared for my test at the moment and I have no way of knowing if I will be by then, but if I book it now, I will get to choose a date and therefore the 10 week wait won't bother me, if you know what I mean.

Will I be able to take the driving test in my instructor's car (obviously paying him!)? I believe you have to sign a form stating that you are insured to drive the vehicle when taking the test, but if my instructor isn't in the car, am I still technically insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Just a quick question.It says on the citizensinformation website that when you apply for a learner permit,you need to have either a birth cert or a passport.If your applying by post would a photocopy of the birth cert suffice?

The earliest date I can take my test is 22nd January (due to the mandatory 6 month wait after receiving the Learner Permit).

If I book my test soon online, can I choose a date or will it just add me to a waiting list automatically?

I was thinking if I book it now the 10-week wait (the average waiting time for my test centre) wouldn't affect me as I have more than 10 weeks to wait anyway.

Advertisement