Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy food info

Options
  • 08-07-2009 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

hi has anyone on here ever used feedwell foods for your puppy is it any good ?????
    just asking because i can get it at a fraction of the price of what i am giving her she is on purina beta at the moment......
    obviously if it is sh1t then she wont be gettin it
    sorry if im not allowed to post brand names

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The reason its a fraction of the price is because it wouldnt be as good a quality.

I would always feed the best i can afford, if you cant afford beta then thats fine, but if you can afford it then i would stick to it. Is your dog doing well on the food at the moment? There are so many foods on the market now at all diff prices.
    I dont know much about Feedwell, but i do think its quite a cheap food.

What breed is it as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

paulbhoy wrote: »
    hi has anyone on here ever used feedwell foods for your puppy is it any good ?????
    just asking because i can get it at a fraction of the price of what i am giving her she is on purina beta at the moment......
    obviously if it is sh1t then she wont be gettin it
    sorry if im not allowed to post brand names

Beta is the price of other high quality foods but isn't near the same quality if you ask me.

Arden Grange, Nutro, James Wellbeloved and Orijen are all better quality foods for in or around the same price IMO.

Lemlin, all those foods you mentioned are way higher in price than Beta, some nearly twice the price, so im guessing if they are looking for a cheaper option the OP wont be looking for something thats nearly twice the price, which Orijen and Nutro are, Jameswell beloved isnt as dear but still dear enough, dearer than Beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

What you're forgetting is that the better quality food is more concentrated and you have to feed less of it, which means that it's actually a lot cheaper than it seems. A 13.5 kg bag of Orijen lasts my dog about 4 months, which comes out at something like 60 cent a day! (He's a 12.5 kg dog btw.)

I know what you are saying blueprint, but if its a big dog, eg a rottie, a 15kg bag will only last about a month, so if you are paying 30 now and then get orijen which is about 60-70 then thats double the price every month.

Not everyone can afford expensive food, OP, what would be your budget a month for food, we could recommend one thats very good for that price range.

Redmills is very good and it only between 30-40 for a 15kg bag, i would highly recommend it over Beta.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Lemlin, all those foods you mentioned are way higher in price than Beta, some nearly twice the price, so im guessing if they are looking for a cheaper option the OP wont be looking for something thats nearly twice the price, which Orijen and Nutro are, Jameswell beloved isnt as dear but still dear enough, dearer than Beta.

My local shop is €45 for a 15kg bag of Beta. Last month I got a 15kg bag of James Wellbeloved off Zooplus.co.uk for €44.90.

I don't think Orijen is twice the price of Beta either. It's about €55 from Brenda's Pets for a 13.5kg bag. Anywhere I've seen Beta its been €45 to €50.

James Wellbeloved is available for €60 even from shops, which is hardly twice the price.

Arden Grange is also €60 for a 15kg bag. Again, that's not twice the price of Beta.

I thought it was only around 30, think i had my rottie on it for a month or so about 2 years ago, so maybe prices have gone up. Id never pay 50 for Beta and ive never sene it at that price.

I see Beta online for 35, and Orijen for about 60 on Brendas pets, so its nearly twice the price, plus the Orijen is only a 13.5 kg bag where as most are 15kg.

andreac wrote: »
    I thought it was only around 30, think i had my rottie on it for a month or so about 2 years ago, so maybe prices have gone up. Id never pay 50 for Beta and ive never sene it at that price.

I see Beta online for 35, and Orijen for about 60 on Brendas pets, so its nearly twice the price, plus the Orijen is only a 13.5 kg bag where as most are 15kg.

It's definitely €44.99 in my local shop. The Orijen is only about €55 in Brendas Pets and that isn't twice the price of Beta at €35. Also, as pointed out above, it will last twice as long even it is a smaller bag.

Also, I included James Wellbeloved and Arden Grange in my original post. You've forgotten all about you saying they were twice the price too. They are both about €45 online which is far from twice the price of Beta.

Anyway, as pointed out above, a bit of info on what breed of dog it is would help? I'd definitely recommend Arden Grange or Orijen if the OP can afford and they are better value as a higher quality food lasts longer than a lower quality food because the dog doesn't need to eat as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Lemlin wrote:
    Anyway, as pointed out above, a bit of info on what breed of dog it is would help? I'd definitely recommend Arden Grange or Orijen if the OP can afford and they are better value as a higher quality food lasts longer than a lower quality food because the dog doesn't need to eat as much.

Plus you save on vet bills and poo picking etc!

I've also found that with the Orijen, I'm feeding way below even the recommended amount, as my dog got rather chubby on the full portion - I can't praise it enough!

If you read back Lemlin, i never said James wellbeloved or Arden Grange were twice the price, i said James Wellbeloved was bit dearer than Beta, i never mentioned Arden Grange being twice the price so please be careful what you say.

Im not trying to argue with you here, ive just bever seen Beta at 45-50 and i certainly wouldnt pay that for it. I only ever paid around 30 for Beta and orijen is around 60 so thats why i said around twice the price.

There are plenty more foods at around that price that are much better quality than Beta.

What price is the OP paying for Beta at the moment, then we can recommend something in and around that price range if thats their budget as there are plenty around that price that are much better quality.

• Advertisement

Blueprint wrote: »
    Plus you save on vet bills and poo picking etc!

I've also found that with the Orijen, I'm feeding way below even the recommended amount, as my dog got rather chubby on the full portion - I can't praise it enough!

I was feeding James Wellbeloved for the past two months as my dog is only just gone 9 months and didn't want to give Orijen to a puppy.

My cocker didn't seem mad on it so I've a bag of Orijen on the way now. Waiting for it to arrive but I've heard nothing but good press.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paulbhoy

hi everyone cheers for the replies!!!!
    got my dog last monday from homeward bound she is from a pound and is a 4-5 month old retriever X she is a bit thin at the moment so im trying to get her to fill out a bit too........... was told that she had been eating beta and seems to like it..... i went to buy it last night and it was 9.60 for a 3 kilo bag a friend of mine can get the feedwell for 18 for a 15 kilo bag im sure you can see the difference is vast...... how much should i be feeding her, how often and what is best for her. im new to all this as she is my first dog so any input is appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

A note - just because a brand is the most expensive - does NOT mean it's the best you can get. You need to read the ingredients etc because some of the mid-high priced ones are just as bad as the cheap ones.
    Also some foods won't suit certain dogs. I have two Lhasas and they get different foods because the pup breaks out in an itchy scalp on the other.

Regarding feedin OP - my pup is 6months and she still gets 3 feeds a day, small and often for pups is the key. Were you given any information from the pound? As to the dogs appetite or if they soaked their food still?
    The dog food packs usually have a feeding list thing (can't think of the word) on the side or back of the pack, stating for what size/age/weight your dog is and how much to feed per day in grams etc. Check that out for your dog too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 laceyl

well done for taking her in Paulboy. :)

It should state on the back of the food how much you should be feeding her (it goes by weight so get her weighed). As shes skinny maybe give her a little bit more for awhile, but dont over do it.

I always feed my dogs twice a day, so i meaure out the amount they are meant to have per day and just split it in half.

With regards food as people have mentioned, get her the best food you can afford, what seems expensive now could save you alot in veterinary bills in years to come.

Definatly dont put her on Orijen food though, not until she is a good bit older, but even then I would be wary of it, this food depends very much on the dogs lifestyle whether or not they should be on it, and it should never be given to puppies, especially bigger breeds.

in need of a quick answer
    jsut noticed that my dog is scratching an awful lot she is biting her own tail and the top of her hind leg ok iknow it is more than likely fleas she is booked into the vet on friday morning is there anything i can do for her before then ?????
    she is getting into bad humour barking and snapping alot ????

can i use normal human shampoo on her as i dont have any dog shampoo or flea shampoo

please reply asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 teckster

If you need something to relieve the itch right now that the shops are closed - you can grind up some oatmeal (you don't need much) to a fine powder and dissolve same in water. Then rinse her with that, but don't rinse the oatmeal off.

Fleas can be got rid off with the pet neem shampoo by Junglesale, available in several health food stores.

With more time you can order their stuff from their UK website, the pet insect spray is fabulous and free from chemicals.

Agree with above, oatmeal is the best for reducing the itch.
    Also I've used Calendula cream (very very sparingly) on my pups skin when she was very bad. Have you looked at the skin?
    Also don't use human shampoo

sorry for starting a new thread about the above question i dont have any oatmeal or calendula i just thought some one else might have something else to say

Most common answer would be oatmeal - are there no shops you could pop to?
    Also without knowing the cause of the itching, you might make it worse by trying something. I don't know if bathing plain is a good idea as it will dry out their skin even more.

cheers starpants
    im just panicking a bit she was barkin and growling and snappin at me jumping up on me she seems to be grand now just lying in the sitting room with me now going asleep
    just worried about her as this time last week she was in a pound after being strayin for god nows how long

• Advertisement

She may have caught fleas or something in the pound, or been near something she's allergic to. It's not nice to watch them be so itchy - my pup had a reaction to her food and was so so itchy for ages. Brushing her may help a little, my pup loved being brushed when she was itchy as it helped get spots she couldn't reach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

please take her off beta its a very low quality food.
    burns arden grange jwb orijen solid gold are some of the good ones
    zooplus has deals on jwb at the mo

gave er a wash about an hour ago in a flea shampoo she is still scratchin and licking but no biting does the shampoo take time to kick in ???
    i know its not great but is just short term

Depends on what the exact cause of the itching is, plus how bad it is.
    At least it's relieved her somewhat for the moment. You're bringing her to the vet tomorrow so hopefully they'll have a better solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Rosie13

I have a 12 week old beautiful maltese puppy. I am feeding her puppy pedigree chum (dry food).
    Is this brand one of the best for growing puppies?
    Has anyone heard of the quality of Husse Valp? read a very negative review about it on an independent website.

Please help, I want to give her the best start!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

My friend has both her pups on Husse Valp - it's brilliant food. You can get a free sample from Husse online.

OP, itching could be due to an allergy. Have a word with your vet, food may have an impact. Husse are very good (www.husse.ie). It's human grade ingredients. It's €50 for 15kgs of the Valp (puppy) food, but if you find the pup has allergies they do and Lamm & Ris (Lamb and Rice) or Lax & Ris (Salmon and Rice) for €50 as well. It's low feed rate, so it works out cheaper than supermarket brands and makes glossier coats and more solid stools.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Hi Paul,
    I wormed and deflead her when I took her out of the pound....I'm sure I did mention that to you. Also bathed her, and switched her to Beta from the high cereal grain food the pound uses - I did also mention that IMO the Beta isn't a great food but I couldn't afford what I would have liked to have given her; Orijen.

There's every chance that the flea treatment wasn't effective enough....she may have a severe infestation. Please mention to your vet that she was treated for fleas very recently- it may be a factor in what he treats her with- that's if the problem is fleas. Her symptoms could be indicative of early stage of mange....or a reaction to any food she's had (dinner scraps?) or treats (some are high in additives and can cause hyper or strange behaviour)....allergy to grass or pollen....adaptation to indoor living...or it could be a repetitive stress induced behaviour.
    It could be anything, but as her hair is thinning as well- my guess is stress. She's had an awful lot to deal with, and a lot of change to cope with already in her short life.

Let us know how things go for her at the vet in the morning...?

Advertisement