Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Hand - Show Down or Declared

Options
  • 08-07-2009 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Posted on the Poker Room Celbridge - Main Event - Live Update thread

High hand so far Aces over Jacks, that will never last. Brendan Byrne had quad kings but bet it out and everyone folded and it didn't go to the show down.

Jose Lamb just flopped quad jacks and it went to a show down so that is the best hand now.

I was at the table when Quad Jacks hand went to a show down against a full house of Jacks over Kings. How the Quad Jacks hand was played was determined by the High Hand prize rather than the hand itself in that in the normal course of events the Quad Jacks would have gone ALL-IN but declined to do so because he was afraid that there would not be a show down - and thus not qualify for the HIGH HAND prize.

If the HIGH HAND prize was based on best hand declared then it would not have affected the way the hand was played - Is this better ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Yes, those big hand v hand situations don't come along that often and it's wrong that you cannot extract maximum chips for fear of losing a high hand prize.

Was actually thinking about this myself the other day.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Caesars in Vegas have high hand jackpots, cards just need to be shown, doesnt need to go to a showdown.

Also in some places you will get a time penalty for checking behind with the nuts on the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

I dont think any tournament should have a prize for getting ridiculously lucky and hitting quads. The art of poker is getting paid with a worse hand when you have quads, so i'd be trying to extract the max chips, and should the hand go to showdown, then i'll take a prize on offer.

The prize in Cellbridge for the high hand was a mini quad or a tag heuer watch both valued at ~€600 which is a fairly decent offering for a high hand so some players cant be faulted for playing slightly slower to try and incorporate the high hand showdown into extracting chips with the nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

In fairness the guy should have shoved the river as no one would ever do that with quads and a high hand prize at stake would they??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

Is there any benefit whatsoever in the " you must get to showdown " rule?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bigbadpat

ollyk1 wrote: »
    In fairness the guy should have shoved the river as no one would ever do that with quads and a high hand prize at stake would they??? :rolleyes:

This is what I understand happened to Brendan Byrne who "had quad kings but bet it out and everyone folded and it didn't go to the show down." :eek: :eek:

bigbadpat wrote: »
    This is what I understand happened to Brendan Byrne who "had quad kings but bet it out and everyone folded and it didn't go to the show down." :eek: :eek:

That'd be me Pat.:(

A couple of things,
      we had just discussed it at the table and contrary to the consensus on my previous visit to the Poker room, it was stated that showdown wasn't necessary for hand to qualify.
      I had raised from the button again, BB was well pissed off and likely to take a stand
      Not betting here 300 BB's deep would be ridiculous IMHO, first and foremost I was there to try and win a tourney.

we had just discussed it at the table and contrary to the consensus on my previous visit to the Poker room, it was stated that showdown wasn't necessary for hand to qualify.

Yeah but as was said at the time, you only discussed it between yourself and a dealer that wasn't fully tuned in. The question was never directed John, Ross or one of the other lads helping run the tournament.

If playing a tournament, unless i'm told otherwise, you can be 99% sure that the hand will have to go to showdown to claim any high hand prize.

Flushdraw wrote: »

Yeah but as was said at the time, you only discussed it between yourself and a dealer that wasn't fully tuned in. The question was never directed John, Ross or one of the other lads helping run the tournament.

If playing a tournament, unless i'm told otherwise, you can be 99% sure that the hand will have to go to showdown to claim any high hand prize.

That's totally correct, I have no problem with the ruling at all and didn't argue it at the time.

The rule on the other hand has many flaws and as I asked earlier, what is the benefit in ruling out non showdown hands?

The rule on the other hand has many flaws and as I asked earlier, what is the benefit in ruling out non showdown hands?

This is precisely why I started this thread :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭zsoulking

Hi all,

As promised Ross and I spoke about this after and Ross suggested that we make it a highest bad beat hand instead, that way it won’t affect play.

So if you have a full house Aces over Jack’s beaten for example then you could win unless someone gets a worse beat.

I believe this is a better idea and I think that this is what we will run with the next time.

John.

While the rule has many flaws IMO a prize for Bad Beat, Best Hand Declared, Best Hand to Show Down makes the tournament more interesting and therefore more enjoyable.

zsoulking wrote: »
    Hi all,

As promised Ross and I spoke about this after and Ross suggested that we make it a highest bad beat hand instead, that way it won’t affect play.

So if you have a full house Aces over Jack’s beaten for example then you could win unless someone gets a worse beat.

I believe this is a better idea and I think that this is what we will run with the next time.

John.

Do you have to use one/both your cards?
    When are you going to start to keep track? Straights beaten? Flushes?
    If you are going down this road, suggest maybe have a minimun bad beat hand of at least a house using both of your hole cards.

bigbadpat wrote: »
    While the rule has many flaws IMO a prize for Bad Beat, Best Hand Declared, Best Hand to Show Down makes the tournament more interesting and therefore more enjoyable.

Couldn't agree more Pat.

Also, to be clear and fair to The Poker Room. It is plainly obvious when you play there, the staff and management of the club are pulling out all the stops to cater for their punters every need.

Also, to be clear and fair to The Poker Room. It is plainly obvious when you play there, the staff and management of the club are pulling out all the stops to cater for their punters every need.

+1

Advertisement