Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera shop and photo printing irritation

Options
  • 08-07-2009 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

This is not a huge issue but I like to share good and bad experiences. As a photographer the amount of pictures I print are high enough. I often print 8x10 shots, weekly really. I have facilities to print these in high quality at home although I prefer the lab prints, the chemicals used and the finish is superior although it costs more than twice what it would cost to do it myself I like to be sure I produce quality.

I took a liking to a certain shop in Blanchardstown, their quality was great and even when I had one issue with them it was corrected immediately. They are not too close to me, many closer but I preferred them and one of the driving forces was the special offer over the last few months. I have recommended people to them based on this offer through pm and also on the photography forum, they were offering 5 8x10 prints for €10. I have also recommended any clients who bought a disc to go there too. Like I said I like to say when I have a good experience.

Anyway yesterday I needed prints asap for a client whose daughter was returning to Australia this morning. She really wanted to see them before she left so I was in a rush. I went in to my usual place and was met by a member of staff I had not dealt with before. I know he has been there on previous occasions I just have not dealt with him. I always ask first the price so I asked again Is this offer still available. He said yes so I said grand I'll do it now so and he went on to say it was only available in 24hours.

Well I returned to say I had always gotten it in an hour before, honestly i usually collect them within 30mns. He said, not in here you havent, yes I have I said. Again not while we have had this equipment so not within the last year anyway. Again I replied yes I have, I have gotten it 3 times in the last few months. He said it is €3 extra to have it in an hour. Well I said it is not worth my while so as I can print them at home. (Iam already doubling my costs witht he €10 charge) . Again he said well you havent gotten that offer here, I replied yet again, yes I have, mostly off the blonde girl who works here, and he said well you must be someone special then. This irritated the hell out of me, I returned to him by raising my disc and saying I have 15 8x10s here to print that will be taken elsewhere, I turned and walked away, irritated to hell that someone would argue an offer that I have received 3 times.

I did hear mutters as I walked away, I also caught the eye line of another member of staff I have dealt with before who seemed a bit surprised, I'm not sure, I know they have now lost my regular business and my very regular referrals. It just annoys me how sales assistants can argue a price with you like that. Had he said, no I amafraid that offer is no longer available then I would have accepted that and considered the dearer price but the fact that he denied it ever took place has gotten to me. I most likely still have receipts to proove the price also as I need to keep these as business expenses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

That is annoying. I had over 1,000 photos from a year travelling around the world, obviously I didn't print them as I went, so when I came home I went into a local photo developing place in the town where I live, and asked them if they could do any kind of deal for this amount of photos. The lady said no way they didn't do any kind of reductions for increased volume of photos. I try my best to support local businesses but I got all of my photos printed through photobox.ie instead for about 1/5th of the cost. I did go back into the same shop once for a reprint, and the colour of the photo was terrible, everyone's skin looked really flat and pale pink - I showed it to the same lady and she said it was because I had too many photos on my memory card! I'd brought the photo down on a cd, and it was the only one on the cd. I'm not very technically minded, but this sounded like total rubbish and I haven't been back in the shop since (it's actually closed down now which doesn't surprise me if that was the level of their customer service).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

E.T. wrote: »
    I showed it to the same lady and she said it was because I had too many photos on my memory card! .
    What a load of balls! It was obviously the print fairies in their archaic machinery that caused that!

As for the OP, I imagine he may not have been fully aware of the offer that was being afforded to you, all he had to do was ask another staff member though, arguing with any customer never ends well.
    I would return to the store and ask them to clarify the offer you we using and see if anyone else bar the man with the attitude could share any further light on the situation, that is unless you want to ignore the store from now on which I think we could all understand! Irish Customer service has a long way to go really as this is far from an isolated incident throughout the retail and service sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

majiktripp wrote: »
    that is unless you want to ignore the store from now on which I think we could all understand! Irish Customer service has a long way to go really as this is far from an isolated incident throughout the retail and service sector.

Well I think it may just be the push I need to do printing myself or go right around the corner where they do the printing instantly for 12.50 rather than 10.

Customer service is disgraceful, I have worked in both customer service and management before and I would say I would be disgusted with myself for arguing with a customer, this man did not attemot to ask any other member of staff. However I have a good mind to root out my receipts and turn up with them just to proove my point. The mutters after me said it all really, and I hate the thought that someone can think they have gotten the better of you unjustly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

However I have a good mind to root out my receipts and turn up with them just to proove my point. The mutters after me said it all really, and I hate the thought that someone can think they have gotten the better of you unjustly!

I know how you feel and sympathise. If you still have the receipts (and the time) why not gather ALL of them up for ANY business you've ever given them and provide the total in a letter that explains your dissatisfaction. Maybe even mention that you've put it up on Boards? As an example of the business they will be losing, along with the ongoing recommendations, it should give the manager or the owner (not the stroppy salesperson) food for thought.
    If nothing else, it will get it out of your system :D

Advertisement