Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugeot 407

• 08-07-2009 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

What do people think of these cars and specifically the 1.6 diesel

appear cheap enough second hand. is this a warning sign? currently driving a peugeot (405, its a beast) and cant complain about it at all

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

its not a too bad... the 1.6 HDi does strugle a bit carrying the large size car.
    but I don't expect you where going for a perfomance car.. so in normal day to day driving it will manage quite fine...
    The car looks good, can't deny that one... the ride is ok, a bit stiff but nice..
    you should get around 50MPG ... so not bad there...
    some electrical issue seem to haunt them... so make sure you do a full check of all the electricals..
    all in all not a bad car, IMHO, better than a vectra, and the mazda, and nearly there with the mondeo...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

robtri wrote: »
    its not a too bad... the 1.6 HDi does strugle a bit carrying the large size car.
    but I don't expect you where going for a perfomance car.. so in normal day to day driving it will manage quite fine...
    The car looks good, can't deny that one... the ride is ok, a bit stiff but nice..
    you should get around 50MPG ... so not bad there...
    some electrical issue seem to haunt them... so make sure you do a full check of all the electricals..
    all in all not a bad car, IMHO, better than a vectra, and the mazda, and nearly there with the mondeo...

cheers interesting you mentioned the electrics. my mechanic said the exact same thing to me. they can be dodgy in that respect apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

A guy I work with drives Limerick to Cork everyday in one. Changes every 2 years with about 120k km up. Wouldn't buy any other car. Only problem he had was with his current cars bluetooth system that refuses to recognise his phone properly and drops calls. A different phone would more than likely solve it though.

Not mad on French cars myself but there is an awful lot of them going about with pretty high mileage

EPM wrote: »
    A guy I work with drives Limerick to Cork everyday in one. Changes every 2 years with about 120k km up. Wouldn't buy any other car. Only problem he had was with his current cars bluetooth system that refuses to recognise his phone properly and drops calls. A different phone would more than likely solve it though.

Not mad on French cars myself but there is an awful lot of them going about with pretty high mileage

yeah thats true they seem to be good for high mileage alright i have seen a few over 150 k miles and 406s over 250k

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My golf clubs (the Driver specifically) won't fit in a 407 boot. Genuinely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

You can't beat French cars for comfort. I had a 405 that I drove from Dublin - Shannon and return every week and I got out of the car perfectly refreshed each time - it was like sitting in a comfortable armchair. Build quality was awful though and bits and pieces did fall off. There were problems with the electrics too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

A friend of mine has a 407 1.6 Hdi and I must say its a lovely car to drive. I wouldn't find it un-responsive for a small engine in a large car.

I'm a huge fan of french cars... I'm on my second 406 coupe and I couldn't speak more highly of them.

The same friend has 5 citroen c5s, 2 citroen c4s and 2 206's in his close family (not his immediate family before the smart comments arrive) and I can't remember any of them having anything other than serviceable problems.

You can't beat French cars for comfort. I had a 405 that I drove from Dublin - Shannon and return every week and I got out of the car perfectly refreshed each time - it was like sitting in a comfortable armchair. Build quality was awful though and bits and pieces did fall off. There were problems with the electrics too.

you are right there the 405s are very comfortable. more comfortable than a lot of newer cars i have found im still driving mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

We've had a lot of trouble with most of the 407 1.6Hdi's we had on fleet. Couple that with (IMO) a horrible driving position and the handling of a big floaty french barge, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

That said, will probably be more reliable and cost less to run than a Passat of the same vintage.

R.O.R wrote: »
    We've had a lot of trouble with most of the 407 1.6Hdi's we had on fleet. Couple that with (IMO) a horrible driving position and the handling of a big floaty french barge, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

That said, will probably be more reliable and cost less to run than a Passat of the same vintage.

what where the particular problems?

• Advertisement

mac09 wrote: »
    what where the particular problems?

Clutch & Flywheel, Turbo's, Engine Speed sensors, constantly blowing bulbs, DPF's clogging, ECU's.

To be fair, problems only really start occuring after 120,000km and a lot of those have been driven hard. Couple that with issues we've previously had on a couple of C5's and I wouldn't be going near either of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Clutch & Flywheel, Turbo's, Engine Speed sensors, constantly blowing bulbs, DPF's clogging, ECU's.

To be fair, problems only really start occuring after 120,000km and a lot of those have been driven hard. Couple that with issues we've previously had on a couple of C5's and I wouldn't be going near either of those.

Surprised you've had trouble with C5's in the past. The chap I mentioned above has one c5 with 250,000 miles on it and its never needed anything other than serviceable parts.

People can be scared off citroens because of the hydraulic suspension but its so much easier than standard suspension to fix.

The Hdi variants also have a FAP filter which can get blocked. But again if you know what you are doing these aren't an expensive fix.

Finally the crank shaft pulley wears out on Hdi's also. But if you get a cast pulley and install it you will never need to change it again.

Would be interested to see what problems you had with C5's... (Diesels only though as I have no knowledge of the petrol models)

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Previous company so don't have further details on the car, luckily http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53611240&postcount=17 has details :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Previous company so don't have further details on the car, luckily http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53611240&postcount=17 has details :eek:

Thats a lot of gearboxes, and running gear. Interestingly, you mentioned that problems will start @ 120k or so. I'll bet they all have the 1.6HDi 110 bhp unit pulluing the 407 or C5....
    I recon the motor and assiocated running gear need to be bigger (stronger) for the heavier car. I think a 2.0 HDi should be the standard Diesel for that car size.
    I went from a Peugeot to a VW 2 years ago. Big mistake. I regret it every time my passat is in the garage. I also regret it every time I am on a bad road.
    The last day I was up at my mechanic, his buddy rolled up and saw me standing at the garage door and said "Jusus, 'tis a bed you want for here"!! (He has seen me so often standing outside the garage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I've got a 04 1.6 hdi 407 with 76k (bought it with 58k)...
    The 1.6 hdi (110bhp) 407 has plenty of power for a 1.6 and i'm getting
    630-650 mls to a tank of diesel...which averages between 48-54 mpg.
    The 407's are a solid,safe and well kitted car....but these are things to look
    out for......

1)Lower balljoints are quite a common failure ... ....every30-40k
    2)Both 1.6-20 hdi engines have diesel partical filters fitted and will need
    replacment around 100k....That also goes for most modern diesels today .......
    3)The Dual mass flywheel can also give trouble @ around 100k on the 1.6 hdi's....but again the give trouble on V.W.....Toyota...Ford.....

If you go for a 407 diesel with around 100k ask if the above have been
    replaced....
    You can also join here for free as it will let you know all about the 407....
    http://www.407owners.com/forums/
    Row

Advertisement