Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping/ Train travel in Hungry, Croatia, Italy and South of France

Options
  • 08-07-2009 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,
    My boyfriend and myself are flying out to Budapest for the grand prix in the end of july. After this we have made some rough plans to travel by train and ferry through Croatia and Italy up to the south of France, camping along the way until we get to Nice where I have booked a lovely hotel.
    I'm finding it hard to get solid information on the net about things to do, and interesting festivals or sights we should see.
    Any advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated...............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

we would want to know your exact route through croatia and italy (ie cities/areas you plan visiting) before replying

i am going to budapest myself in september for the first time so i can't really help there, as far as nice in france goes there are lots of things to see and do http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055226389 outside of nice you have monte carlo which is about a 30 minute drive (regular public buses), if you want to take the scenic route then stop half way at a place called eze http://www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/deplacement/ang/bus.htm just east of monte carlo is menton an ancient roman town

west of nice is cannes (worth a daytrip if only for the beach), further west is saint tropez, these places are also accessible from nice by regular daily public buses (very cheap) or by train if you are in a hurry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 foxyrose09

Don't really have an exact route planned.
    Thinking Budapest - Zagreb - Split - Dubrovnik - Bari - Bologna - Florence - Nice
    Have booked "Hotel Splendid" in Nice for five night at the end, thinking of camping everywhere else.
    Have read the post on Nice, sounds beautiful, really looking forward to seeing it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

May I recommend getting the train from Budapest to Sarajevo and then going to Dubrovnik via a night in Mostar. Get the train or bus from Sarajevo to Mostar and then the train to Ploce and bus to Dubrovnik or the bus direct to Dubrovnik from mostar. Camp Solitudo in Dubrovnik was nice and handy when I stayed there. After a couple of days in Dubrovnik and some island hopping then head to Bari.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 foxyrose09

Winters wrote: »
    May I recommend getting the train from Budapest to Sarajevo and then going to Dubrovnik via a night in Mostar. Get the train or bus from Sarajevo to Mostar and then the train to Ploce and bus to Dubrovnik or the bus direct to Dubrovnik from mostar. Camp Solitudo in Dubrovnik was nice and handy when I stayed there. After a couple of days in Dubrovnik and some island hopping then head to Bari.

:) Sarajevo sounds interesting. Did you find it easy to get accomadation there?? Heard to train from Budapest to Sarajevo is prone to pick pockets but I suppose that's true of almost every tourist attraction......
    Does anyone have any ideas where I could buy a ticket for the train from Budapest - Sarajevo??

Advertisement