Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning in an A3?

• 08-07-2009 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Guys, long time lurker here :-)

Just a question - I've a 1998 Audi A3 that I'll be trying to get rid of when i'm transferred to the UK next month, the mother wants me to swap it in for something with a smaller engine for the sister to learn to drive on... A 1.4 Seat Something was what she mentioned. I want to convince her just to give the A3 to the sister as it would save both selling and buying a car. Is a 1.8 petrol really too big for a learner? What're the disadvantages (and advantages) of her learning in the A3?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Can't see any problem with it as long as she gets used to it and isn't trying to overtake people on the motorway inside a couple of lessons :)

No way in hell would I bother my arse selling or trading it in just to get a 1.4 for someone to learn on, that's just daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Main disadvantage I would see will be the costs. Insurance will be more expensive on a 1.8 A3 and petrol costs, road tax etc will also be more expensive.

That being said selling and buying another car will also incur some costs so it may balance out. Nothing wrong with learning in an A3 otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As said, there is nothing wrong with learning to drive in an A3 per say, it's a fine small car and if it's at your disposal then you may as well use it. I presume it's a 1.8 and not a 1.8T? As the latter would be impossible to insure and would be too powerful being a turbo.
    Insuring the car will be very expensive though, and the additional car tax will be annoying. I wouldn't imagine it would be all that bad on petrol provided it wasn't being driven like a racing driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tumteetum

Well insurance should be ok.. I imagine the mother will insure herself on it (since the car is still registered in her name anyway) and do named driver for the sister. It's not a turbo, no. Costs shouldn't be an issue since she's the favourite kid ;)

I'd hope she won't be on the motorway at ALL after only a few lessons haha.

Thanks for the replies so far - this is all what I think myself, but the parents seem dead set against her learning to drive using such a "powerful" car (even though they were ok with my learning on it!) so i'm trying to build up a bulk of opinion here to show her.

Advertisement