Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom expected to be sold this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Don't know Complete Telecom. Planet/plannet 21 sell networking equipment, sound lads and great service. Strange that they would be looking to buy an ISP though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sigh, if true doesn't look like good news for Smart customers (doubly so for those of us on Smart Vision exclusive developments).

I guessed Smart was up for sale, but I was hoping for someone decent like O2 or Sky :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not big enough or profitable for O2 or Sky.

Your link broken. Smart Telecom to sell for under 15M
    They owe nearly €60M.
    According to a report in yesterday’s Sunday Times, Complete Telecom and Planet 21 are in talks to buy the company.
    Smart is really quite small, limited geographically and loss making.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I had expected consolidation rather than a new player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

PlanNet21 already fund Homevision.ie, front end of 3PlayPlus

http://www.3playplus.ie/about.html

So maybe they are looking to consolidate both business'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Didn't know that. Small country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

never knew they were making a loss. Been with them for 3 years and nothing ever went wrong. They always had a great service :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Seems unusual companies to take over Smart. I though O2 would just pick them up for the sake of market share and getting a foothold (albeit small) into the fixed line business. I wonder is this really just an announcement to stir the interest of bigger players who might be interested. If it is genuine it's disappointing, because HomeVision are more expensive for broadband: http://www.homevision.ie/broadband1.aspx and http://www.homevision.ie/bundles1.aspx?cat=2

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

watty wrote: »
    Smart is really quite small, limited geographically and loss making.

Well I believe they have LLU'd exchanges which represent 500,000 lines, which is certainly not bad. I would havethought a good starting pointing for any company considering doing LLU in Ireland like O2 and Sky do in the UK.
    Robxxx7 wrote: »
    PlanNet21 already fund Homevision.ie

So maybe they are looking to consolidate both business'

They have a bad reputation for their IPTV service and their BB is much more expensive, so not good news for Smart Vision customers in particular. Hopefully they will retain the Smart tech staff who are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrquiteaguy

Thanks watty for fixing my link.

Checking out PlanNet21 aka Homevision's broadband packages,
    I am not impressed by their 50GB cap if they are to take over Smart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They may reverse Homevision into the larger Smart instead .

• Advertisement

Seeing as the Homevision brand is not doing so good and complaints here about their IPTV.

bk wrote: »
    Hopefully they will retain the Smart tech staff who are excellent.

2/3rds (60 out of 90) Smart Staff are gone according to reports in the papers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The papers are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Nothing like clarification.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Staff count was reduced from 90-60 in Feb/March so its not exactly recent news.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0217/1224241279770.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I thought you said the papers are wrong? :)

I thought you said the papers are wrong? :)
    Can't you read...
    Two thirds of 90 staff is 60.. Whereas 1/3 is 30 which is the correct number...
    he said it was likely that “30-40 positions will be made redundant”. The consultation period comes to an end on February 24th at which time the exact number of job losses will become clear.
    Smart Telecom currently employs 90 full-time staff but has a significant number of contract staff working through third parties.

Advertisement