Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's newest and biggest Nightclub - Wright Venue - Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Man I love the Vengaboys!! Can't believe they are still together. Who's with me on this one?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So I went to the Wright Venue last night - thought I'd drag this up and write a bit about it. Despite all the slagging etc - I have to say it was pretty impressive. The place is feckin huge and its a pretty cool design - very like something I'd expect overseas but not in Ireland really. The place was jammers and I hear its the same every night - not a lot of signs of recenssion up there! Its well organised and designed, to put in and pick up your coat they use fingerprint readers which is cool. Queue's seemed grand, well, nothing compared to Tripod etc anyway.

Music: I just don't think its fair to say "The music was **** the place is gay" - cause lets face it, they are not trying to be the next Bergain - its a commercial nightclub an they play what the majority of punters want, so there was lots of the usuall stuff like that dam "tonights gonna be a good night" song by Black Eyed Peas which i HATE - but in fairness the DJ did a good job, and played plenty of classic house which I was happy to dance to. Even broken into some chunky techno type stuff for a while. He was using Traktor Scratch pro with CDJ's and he was doing a bit of loops and effects and I thought he did it well! I was not too impressed with the sound system, needs tweaking I think.

I have a girlfriend so I'm a good boy but the chicks were pretty impressive. Very glam. Big mix, some truly stunning women, and then if you're into it, seriously I've never seen so many tarted up sluts in my life ;-) At the end of the night standing outsde waiting for people you should see the girls falling out of the place. Could be like clubbing baby seals.

They have a load of podium dancers as well, like Spirit back in the day - seriosuly hot, and even the hostess women are dressed like burlesque dancers or something. Door staff etc were friendly too. Crowd was pretty mixed, but not bad. Loads of nacer chicks but nothing worse than that really.

Some friends of mine went to Seb Faontaine a few months ago there and said it was very good, so I think if they bring in another proper dj I'd defintiely like to go back. I think its worth checking out anyway for the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

Zascar wrote: »
    Could be like clubbing baby seals.

Lovely analogy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I wonder would they ever consider bringing over a big international act, something along the lines of Sven Vath or Richie Hawtin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I wonder would they ever consider bringing over a big international act, something along the lines of Sven Vath or Richie Hawtin?

I was talking about Hawtin coming over with my mates recently, somehow I don't think he'd play due to the licensing laws, he wouldn't want to come on until late, and wouldn't be happy only playing a 2 hour set, or at least I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

somehow I don't think he'd play due to the licensing laws, he wouldn't want to come on until late, and wouldn't be happy only playing a 2 hour set, or at least I'd imagine.

He's never had a problem playing here before for 2 hours. He did an hour at the second Creamfields. What has the licensing laws got to do with him?

He's never had a problem playing here before for 2 hours. He did an hour at the second Creamfields. What has the licensing laws got to do with him?

Note the last few words of my post. I'd just assume a big minimal dj like him wouldn't be happy having to come on at 12pm for a 2 hour set, when in Europe he can go on at 5 and play for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Are u joking? He'll play anywhere if the money's right. Sure he plays in Tripod every year. Ridiculous statement. Although I doubt he'd play in TWV, as I know for a fact that most Dj's will only play somewhere with a dance music background.....

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    Are u joking? He'll play anywhere if the money's right. Sure he plays in Tripod every year. Ridiculous statement. Although I doubt he'd play in TWV, as I know for a fact that most Dj's will only play somewhere with a dance music background.....

DJs will play where the money is. Some have ties to other clubs/promoters so they cant/wont just go play anywhere. Seb Fontaine played in Wrights a while back. Lisa Lashes played in Heaven. Sebastian Leger played in Burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

DJs will play where the money is. Some have ties to other clubs/promoters so they cant/wont just go play anywhere. Seb Fontaine played in Wrights a while back. Lisa Lashes played in Heaven. Sebastian Leger played in Burn.

Most of the big djs would be "contracted" to play exclusively in certain places, say for example I had 20gs burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted to book, say John Digweed to come play in my club, im sure before he could say yes the Tripod would have a cut of 20% of his fee, I dont think its the same with Hawtin, he played in Mono at first back in the day, then I hadnt seen him in years and he played in Traffic for D1 downstairs (or TP as its known now) now he generally plays in the Tripod but I doubt they have exclusitivity on him....

If your promoting around this small town you cant be seen to step on peoples toes, and if I wanted to book the likes of someone like say Marcel Dettman id prob have to clear it with the Bodytonic lads who prob were last to have him over, and theyd prob get a small cut from it, which is fair enough, we're not big enough of a country to not check with certain promoters.....

On the other hand, there are certain djs who would whore themselves out where the money is, you mentioned Seb Fontaine, chap would play at the opening of an envelope tbh, his last gig here before he played in Wrights was in Whelans, a pretty well known rock joint in Dublin, on a bank holiday, I was pretty surprised when I saw this, no advertising bar the odd poster around town, this is obviously the venue trying to make a buck, or some very very strange promoter!

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    Most of the big djs would be "contracted" to play exclusively in certain places, say for example I had 20gs burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted to book, say John Digweed to come play in my club, im sure before he could say yes the Tripod would have a cut of 20% of his fee, I dont think its the same with Hawtin, he played in Mono at first back in the day, then I hadnt seen him in years and he played in Traffic for D1 downstairs (or TP as its known now) now he generally plays in the Tripod but I doubt they have exclusitivity on him....

Hawtin goes where the money is. I was working in Mono when he played there both times, amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Hawtin goes where the money is. I was working in Mono when he played there both times, amazing stuff.

Some night alright, went on til bout 6am, good times!

What were ya doing working there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Hawtin in Mono were fukn savage gigs.
    Good times :)

Fieldog wrote: »
    What were ya doing working there?

Lights & visuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Bambi86

Does anyone know if fierce angel is playing there soon? I heard they will be coming to Ireland, im figuring its gona be a big club like wrights venue or somewhere like that? has anyone heard anything, google isnt telling me much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dancelover

Saw Fierce Angel in The Wright Venue, wasnt sure what they would be like but have to say it was a great night. Heard Howard Donald is playing, is he not past it??!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Wow, 4 posts and all for Wrights! How's the job going? Are they a nice crowd to work for??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

internet-failure-demotivati.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Kicked me out for taking meph in the jacks, the uptight bastards.

I shall be taking my business elsewhere in future.

• Advertisement

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Kicked me out for taking meph in the jacks, only drinking water, and starting fights, the uptight bastards.

I shall be taking my courteous behavior elsewhere in future.

I'm sure they'll be devastated.

I'm sure they'll be devastated.
    At 15 quid for a night of bogey pints and mostly commercial music, I'm sure the feeling's mutual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Bambi86

Kicked me out for taking meph in the jacks, the uptight bastards.

I shall be taking my business elsewhere in future.

Is that the head shop stuff losers have been taking recently? God, your a bit are of a fool for thinking you could get away with that anywhere, not cool dude.

You must be one of those little southside rich kids they all seem to be mad for that stuff at the moment.

Anyway...BACK TO FIERCE ANGEL! Sorry I missed them, thanks for the response....alot more relevant than talking about drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Bambi86 wrote: »
    Is that the head shop stuff losers have been taking recently? God, your a bit are of a fool for thinking you could get away with that anywhere, not cool dude.

You must be one of those little southside rich kids they all seem to be mad for that stuff at the moment.

Anyway...BACK TO FIERCE ANGEL! Sorry I missed them, thanks for the response....alot more relevant than talking about drugs.
    Id rather talk about drugs than Fierce Angel and a cunt of a place like the Wright Venue....

Bambi86 wrote: »

I've gotten away with doing it everywhere, but unfortunately on this occasion I wasn't armed with the knowledge that Wright's security peek over the cubicle doors to watch people ****/piss/rail bold stuff.

I'm from the Northside by the way, and not rich by anyone's standards, sadly.

Oh, and I'd be fairly certain that about 50% of the punters at Fierce Angel would be mangled on meph, so you might want to to stay away if that kind of thing bothers you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

I see Roger Sanchez is playing TWV at the end of the month.

So how has it been lately?

From what I've heard its doing very well, always busy etc, some people I know live around there and go a lot.

However, two DJ friends of mine played there a few weeks back, they play dee/tech house - none of the commercial cheese that I heard when I was there -and they said it was a brilliant night they had loads of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Thanks, might check it out sometime. Sanchez isn't bad so might be a good time to head out.

It's definitely worth checking out at least once. The decor and general setup is far beyond anything else I've seen in Ireland, appearence-wise it's more like something you'd expect to see in Ibiza. The neatest part for me were the fingerprint scanners in the cloakroom - dead handy as I'm a sloppy **** and lose my tickets 75% of the time.

That said there are better clubs in Dublin, and the few times I've been there it's been commercial music all the way, which killed it a bit for me,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

That said there are better clubs in Dublin, and the few times I've been there it's been commercial music all the way, which killed it a bit for me,

went a few times when lived in swords, got sick of the place quickly.. where do you think is better? could do with a good night on the lash.

Advertisement