Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker Connection?

Options
  • 08-07-2009 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

If there is 6sq run to a cooker switch and 6 sq to a junction box behind the cooker is it acceptable to run 2.5sq from the junction box to the hob and 2.5sq to the cooker. Most of the new cookers are low wattage and it is very hard to to get 6 sq to fit in there connections?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

what's the rating of the hob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭themullet

core size mm2 | current (A) | wattage(kw)
    1.0 | 14 | 3.25
    1.5 | 18 | 4.25
    2.5 | 24 | 5.75
    4.0 | 32 | 7.75
    6.0 | 40 | 9.75
    10 | 53 | 12.9

Have a look and see what wattage your cooker is and use the table above as your reference but I would more than likely say that you'll need the 6sq TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Im not sure rating was more of a general question. Sometimes i see them wired in 2.5 sometimes there wired with 6sq. Was just wondering was 2.5 acceptable if within the rating.

Thanks for replies

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

2.5sq from the junction box to the hob and 2.5sq to the cooker.

What you have to look at here is what protection is on the cable. I would guess that this circuit is protected by a 32A B type MCB. If this is the case then a 2.5mm sq. cable would fail before the MCB would operate. In other words the cable would not be adaquatley protected; therefore you should not use a 2.5 in the way you describe.

I am guessing that your problem is that you can not get two 6mm sq. load cables to fit into the terminals in junction box?

To fit both 6 sq. T & E cables into the junction box crimp pin type lugs on to the end of the cables (top left in photo below).

2009021222.gif

This means that there will be far more room available at the terminals.

As far as I recall you are permitted to bring 4mm sq. flexable cables from the junction box to the appliances, but I am open to correction on this, (I need to check the regulations).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hey_hey

2011 wrote: »
    As far as I recall you are permitted to bring 4mm sq. flexable cables from the junction box to the appliances, but I am open to correction on this, (I need to check the regulations).

Yeap your right, your allowed to bring 4sq heat resistant flex from junction box to cooker

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yeap your right, your allowed to bring 4sq heat resistant flex from junction box to cooker
    Thanks for that! I forgot to mention the heat resistant bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

Generally, newer ovens that I have fitted come prewired with 2.5 sq. Flex but I would always run 6 sq. to the hob.
    As far as I know those lugs and spade terminals wouldn't be recommended for mains voltage, I certainly wouldn't trust them when you're dealing with upwards of 20 amps.

Generally, newer ovens that I have fitted come prewired with 2.5 sq.
    If the oven is rated at say 2.5kW then you can "fuse down" the oven with a spur outlet and the 2.5 is OK.
    The other option is to replace the MCB with a 20A if the hob and oven load will allow.
    Small crimp connections are good for takeing high currents. The link below shows one that can take 36A

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/45535-spade-adaptor-red-76-078-tenma.html

Advertisement