Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controlling the input temp to a Grundfos STC 1.5 shower pump

Options
  • 08-07-2009 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

My daughter has just purchased the STC 1.5 for a new over-bath shower and I have the install job:).

The hot water will come from either the immersion elec element or the indirect coil heated by a GFCH boiler.

Am concerned that the GFCH, if cranked up, will produce hotter water than 60C, which is the max input temp for the STC 1.5. The paperwork seems pretty specific.

It is a composite material, not brass.

Any thoughts please?

Is a TMV overkill?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

you cannot regulate the temperature by way of the pump .

you can however install a thermostatic cylinder valve on the heating supply tho the cylinder coil and control the cylinders temperature .

on the emmersion when you remove the cover there should be small thermostat that can be adjusted to reduce the temperature as well

but to be honest been fitting monsoon pumps for years now and i know the one your talking about , what your takling about has never been an issue ive ever had to address or worry about . 60 degrees ive always thought to be very cautious on the manufactors side

if i were you i wouldnt be concerned with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Thanks for reply: just looking at he rest of the kit she bought, the mira shower has a hose retaining ring which has me puzzled. What is the purpose of this ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have been down this road before. My honest answer is to take a chance, You should have no trouble. A cylinder thermostat etc. wiring and running to the boiler is going to set you back the price of a pump.

I have fitted a few STC's you wont have any trouble

Granted I cant guarantee it but I am fairly certain.

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply: just looking at he rest of the kit she bought, the mira shower has a hose retaining ring which has me puzzled. What is the purpose of this ring?

It looks like a no 8 yes!

One loop is fit on the slider rail before its mounted and the other the hose is put through it,

It looks like a no 8 yes!

One loop is fit on the slider rail before its mounted and the other the hose is put through it,

Thanks, it is indeed a square 8:)

however it will restrict the hose and make it difficult to wash the young grandchild, or the dog for that matter hence I am wondering what will happen if I leave it out.

I seem to recall reading some where that they are required when the shower is connected to the mains to avoid grey water being sucked back into the mains, but in a standard Irish setup with attic tank feeds, can I leave it out?

• Advertisement

Thanks, it is indeed a square 8:)

however it will restrict the hose and make it difficult to wash the young grandchild, or the dog for that matter hence I am wondering what will happen if I leave it out.

I seem to recall reading some where that they are required when the shower is connected to the mains to avoid grey water being sucked back into the mains, but in a standard Irish setup with attic tank feeds, can I leave it out?

I will deal with this seperatly cause no 2 worries me.

Firstly on the hose restiction yes it will there is a reason for this.

1. It stops the hose tangleing and 2. This is to prevent the head falling down to the lowest point and thus causes the shower heater element cutting out and running cold. This cold feature is actually a safety aspect to the shower

On the second point.... I am assuming you are talking about a mira elite 2 which should not be under any circumstances be fitted to the mains water

the set up is an all gravity feed from the attic tank to the grundfos sts 1.5 and onward to a Mira Element shower so I think I don't need the hose loop as:

the shower is not electrically heated.
    there is no mains connection.

the set up is an all gravity feed from the attic tank to the grundfos sts 1.5 and onward to a Mira Element shower so I think I don't need the hose loop as:

the shower is not electrically heated.
    there is no mains connection.

In that case your right you would not need the hose loop and as you say it will allow the shower to drop

A little tip when your setting the height of the rail dont set it on mens heights as we would have it mounted from our shoulders up set it from your daughters chest height.

Most women go to the hairdressers at the weekend and run around the shops they love nothing better than a shower but dont want to get there hair wet so this is why you set it to drop down between there shoulders chest area so there hair does not get wet.

See women should have been plumbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

very thoughtful and considerate Joey.

If i had a shower in there the best i could do would be straight in the face:D

Twas a good point though...

Advertisement