Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Forum

Options
  • 08-07-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Lets call it the Charter Forum(If not already in existence).

Following a ban I want to re-read the Charter of a specific forum to fight my corner but of course the charter is contained within the forum I am banned from entering.

Would it be possible to have a section of boards dedicated to Charter specifically that anybody can read but all the charters are locked so nobody can post in the forum because there would be no point*

*aware that may not stop some people.
    Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

If you log out you can look at the forum you're banned from :)

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

This post has been deleted.

Unless it's a private forum, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unless it's a private forum, of course.
    Private forums have their own right of access, if you're banned there's no avenue of appeal so being able to read the charter is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

*facepalm*

seamus wrote: »
    Private forums have their own right of access, if you're banned there's no avenue of appeal so being able to read the charter is irrelevant.

Yah, I know. I was just being pedantic.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

threaten to cancel your subscription if they don't let you read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Isn't logging onto a forum you are banned from also against most charters, therefore admitting this further increases your ban :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Quazzie wrote: »
    Isn't logging onto a forum you are banned from also against most charters, therefore admitting this further increases your ban :confused:

Accessing a forum by logging out isn't against the charter AFAIK. Using another account to post in it is though. In fact mods+admins will often tell a banned user to log out to supply links to a post or to read the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hehehe.

I think, fwiw, that there ought to be a basic charter, for Boards.ie with all the stuff re personal abuse, text-speak, NSFW etc outlined therein, on the front page, with each forum then having its specific rules in a sticky on the forum.

If there is no tolerance for bad language, for example, it should be site-wide and the rule writ large, once, on the front page, and not 500-odd times throughout the site, with variances according to where you are. There's kids with access to every forum............

you know what tho? the vast majority of posters never break a rule without ever reading the charter. Simple good manners is usually enough. It seems to me like every time we talk about making charters stronger or whatever, it's to retroactively clarify that certain things are not allowed, for the benefit of people who couldn't give a crap about boards or the charters anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Surely the charter is there to protect the people using the forum from people who only want to cause trouble.

If you never troll and have never read the charter then you will not break this rule.

If you start trolling, as in you lose the run of yourself, then the charter is there to be enforced in the form of an infraction or worse a ban.

If you join boards to Troll completely then you aren't going to give a rats about the charter to start with so you can be banned or even sitebanned using the charter as a back up.

It would be like the Department of Justice removing all laws because "aww sure those criminals dont give a rats about laws anyway".

Berty wrote: »
    Surely the charter is there to protect the people using the forum from people who only want to cause trouble.
    - who are the people who either never read the charter, or do and ignore it. So an extended charter would have little effect on changing their behaviour. Slightly off topic, sry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The charter can be read by logging out or some for the forums like the sex and sexuality forum have a copy of the charter in the boards biki.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Hehehe.

I think, fwiw, that there ought to be a basic charter, for Boards.ie with all the stuff re personal abuse, text-speak, NSFW etc outlined therein, on the front page, with each forum then having its specific rules in a sticky on the forum.

There is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Dav wrote: »

Yes, but not clear to a new poster and not visible on the front page.

tbh wrote: »
    - who are the people who either never read the charter, or do and ignore it. So an extended charter would have little effect on changing their behaviour. Slightly off topic, sry

Off topic yes but:

I see the charter as being a route to a siteban. You get an infraction for minor offences, get a temporary ban for charter breach's and for persistent charter breach's or general boards.ie infractions(like 2nd accounts) you get a site ban.

If you did not have rules then nobody would know what is allowed and what is not and the moderators would have a difficult time controlling the rooms.

Maybe there were previous discussions on the feedback about extensions of charters, I dont know.

There were internet forums before text speak and they had charters but text speak was not on it because mass mobile phone usage and SMS did not exist but now it does so the charters get updated.

As things evolve the charter must evolve as well. Take the ranting and raving forum(try it yourself because I am banned) and see the long discussion regarding the charter.

The room was turning very much like AH so the charter had to be changed to reflect the room.

I accept what you are saying. Apart from Radio, all the forums I mod are low-traffic, regular-poster forums, so that colours my view slightly. AFAIC, if you say that someone can only be banned if they break a rule that's in the charter, what you'll have are the normal posters posting away as always, and the troublemakers running to feedback every time you infract them for something that isn't specifically listed in the charter, you know? But it'd be different for the forums we're talking about here I guess, where you have a lot of passing traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Would it be an idea to have the charter's for all the forums in the Biki? It'd take a little effort to put them all there, but it could be a good reference for new members. Maybe it can be pointed out on the registration page, or maybe linked in the confirmation email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

humanji wrote: »
    Would it be an idea to have the charter's for all the forums in the Biki? It'd take a little effort to put them all there, but it could be a good reference for new members. Maybe it can be pointed out on the registration page, or maybe linked in the confirmation email?

+1million

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I doubt most users will even know about 'charters' and stuff when they sign up, and won't read them anyhow even if they did. I know I didn't.

A page full of hundreds of different rule books would nearly put me off posting if I was pointed towards it as a newbie, tbh.

It certainly won't bother me if it is created, of course, but I think it will be too much work for too little reward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Currently there is in the works by the boards.ie staff a standard charter for all forums which will then be the same for all forums with the additions for each forum then added to it in a fashion which makes them clear and easy to read on glancing at any given charter.

As soon as this is done I will pleased to make sure it is put in place across all the forums I mod and will certainly make life a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Log out, copy & paste the charter to Word, then log back in and re-paste to your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

you dont have to log out, or clear your cookies or any of that crap.

just go to http://anything.boards.ie and you can read the forum as if you are logged out. then when you are finnished, go back to http://www.boards.ie

EDIT: nevermind, it doesn't seem to work anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

It would just be better if all the users of this site had common sense.
    But thats not likely to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Berty wrote: »
    Following a ban I want to re-read the Charter of a specific forum to fight my corner
    Sexist/misogynistic generalisations aren't allowed on Ranting & Raving, neither is personal abuse... straightforward surely?

If you'd just stuck with "some women" you'd still be posting away (because yes, what you say is certainly applicable to some women - not all of them though, that's the thing).

Dudess wrote: »
    Sexist/misogynistic generalisations aren't allowed on Ranting & Raving, neither is personal abuse... straightforward surely?

If you'd just stuck with "some women" you'd still be posting away (because yes, what you say is certainly applicable to some women - not all of them though, that's the thing).

Could you tell me what that has to do with this thread?

This thread is about a new forum to allow users to see the charter after a ban.

I think the original question was answered quite a while back.

You should probably keep personal remarks off topic to PM only.

BTW, while Im here(prior to my shower wink wink, picturing me...........damn Im being sexist again...............:( ) the ban was because I called a Mod a ****** which is not actually an attack because, believe it or not, there was not actually a word I was thinking off to use the stars instead of. I used the stars because saying anything else would have been even ruder.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I reported the thread to be closed as I disagreed with the title being changed because it was an attack on my rant / counter rant in disguise which alerted Javaboy to my post about the moderator. Irony. eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

There will be no new forum for viewing charters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

It would just be better if all the users of this site had common sense.
    But thats not likely to happen.

You could say the same for some of the moderation. There's people/posters/users with sense that get caught in the crossfire.

Advertisement