Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

nipplenuts wrote: »
    If there is no tolerance for bad language, for example, it should be site-wide and the rule writ large, once, on the front page, and not 500-odd times throughout the site, with variances according to where you are. There's kids with access to every forum............

We have a formal written charter for boards.ie, it's the FAQ that Dav linked to earlier. Or people could just use some common sense and act like reasonable and mature people while interacting with others, that shouldn't even NEED to be in a charter imo.

The vast majority of people (literally thousands, every day) manage to use this site without getting banned/infracted at all, I imagine most of them haven't even read a single charter tbh, since nobody does until they get a slap on the wrist and pointed towards them.

Most who do get banned/infracted learn from it after being pointed towards the charters, learning what they did wrong, and become better users for it.

Some don't learn from it and end up getting banned/infracted again, end up going on a fight da powah rant which is domed for failure, and eventually learn that the system isn't out to get them, but there are certain standards expected of users on this site. Others don't accept that last bit and just end up trying to be rebels against what they percieve to be an unjust system and being a pain in the ass in some kind of misguided martyr crusade.

Then there are the users who don't give a shit and are just here to cause crap, stir up hassle and low level troll all over the place because they are quite simply tards.

No amount of charters is going to stop human nature. Most people interact just fine, most who don't initially learn from their mistakes, and some are just planks.
    humanji wrote: »
    Would it be an idea to have the charter's for all the forums in the Biki? It'd take a little effort to put them all there, but it could be a good reference for new members. Maybe it can be pointed out on the registration page, or maybe linked in the confirmation email?

If they don't read the charter in the forum I really don't think they are going to go to another "site" to read it unfortunately.
    Alan Rouge wrote: »
    You could say the same for some of the moderation. There's people/posters/users with sense that get caught in the crossfire.

Links? Or even examples? Throwing out vague statements isn't really condicive to discussion and only leads to rabble rousing and a decrease in the noise/signal ratio as people jump in to air their own personal grievences, which leads to the usual "mod conspiracy" crap ad infinitum

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    You could say the same for some of the moderation. There's people/posters/users with sense that get caught in the crossfire.

All the users of the site include moderators.

It would be great if people would stop being offended on behalf of others as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Berty wrote: »
    Could you tell me what that has to do with this thread?

This thread is about a new forum to allow users to see the charter after a ban.

I think the original question was answered quite a while back.

You should probably keep personal remarks off topic to PM only.

BTW, while Im here(prior to my shower wink wink, picturing me...........damn Im being sexist again...............:( ) the ban was because I called a Mod a ****** which is not actually an attack because, believe it or not, there was not actually a word I was thinking off to use the stars instead of. I used the stars because saying anything else would have been even ruder.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I reported the thread to be closed as I disagreed with the title being changed because it was an attack on my rant / counter rant in disguise which alerted Javaboy to my post about the moderator. Irony. eh!

You got banned for personal abuse after you threw your toys out of the pram like a cranky child because I changed your thread title to one that is not sexist.

Why don't you just do us all a favour and stop bitching about it?

Oh yeah.
    And one more thing. Change your whiney little sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

And one more thing. Change your whiney little sig.

Stay tuned for next week when the Sig will change. :D;) *

*Or more likely tomorrow when the ban is over and then the humour(as I see it) will cease to exist.

Advertisement