Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear Of Flying

• 08-07-2009 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Im going on holidays Saturday week and i hate flying. Anyone got any tips that doesnt include alcohol, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I have the same trouble.

I don't know if this is much use to you but to try and rationalise it all, I meditate on how many times this flight went up, down, came back etc. day after day after day when I was doing something else like working, watching telly etc. etc. Nothing went wrong then, why am i that special that it would go wrong when I'm on board. It helps me a little to meditate on this. However it is still a war on my nerves - esp the turbulence.

Best to try and get a seat high up the plane. The tail swings the most. Also try for a aisle seat to reduce the effect of the side to side rocking (plus in an aisle seat you don't have to look out window - pretend you're on a bus!).

Stuff happens and it gets highlighted in the news but the stats still prove that it is the safest way to get around. If you are travelling with someone, keep the conversation going throughout and the flight goes faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Read "The Easy Way to Enjoy Flying" by Allen Carr. I didn't get on a plane for about 3 years until I read that. Go to the airport and watch the planes take-off and land for an hour or so. They always get up and down safely. It's very reassuring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

My doctor gave me xanex once and diazepam*(cant spell sorry) the second time i used it the first time and hated the xanex they didnt agree with me at all and well make sure you take the right amount if you go down that route cos it was a bit strong for me, however it was really weird the second time which was just last month i didnt even need them and i was ****ting myself for ages about it but i didnt even get nervous!! One thing i found that really helped was i got my boyfriend to explain to me about planes, how safe they are, what its doing when im hearing the noises etc which really helps so maybe check that out or ask someone you know..hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭kim_eire

i hate flying, and suffer panic attacks so i take half a xanax a while before i get on the planethen on the plane - i try and concentrate on a book or magazine and grab the arm of whoever is sitting beside me when i hear strange noises or there is turbulance and squeeze their arm, it helps me :D. hate flying but that gets me through!! i find i cant actually talk to anyone and if i have a choice i book early flights so i might fall asleep to pass the time! And i keep saying in my head that there are thousands of people in the air at any one time, and they are all ok and if i didnt get on a plane id never get to go anywhere nice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hey howya!

I'm scared to death of flying, but I took "calms" the last time I flow, and I was happy out. Didn't have a slight bit of fear in me. I'd never fly without them again. they chill you right out! Go to your doctor and he'll prescribe you some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

Just think happy thoughts of where you're going to!! The weather has got to be better than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I have the same problems and agree with many on here that a sedative prescribed by your doctor might help.
    I got xanex this year so I'm hoping that I may just fall asleep with a bit of luck on the flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Anna Molly

More people get killed a year by donkey attacks than air crashes, that's what I tell myself. :D

I've just recently developed my fear, slightest bit of turbulance and I've my I-pod in to calm me down and head between my knees.
    I'm going to Florida in December...that shall be fun!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Just read yesterday that flying is far safer than driving in a car!! I too have a fear of flying but reading this sure calmed me down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I developed a fear of flying about 5 years ago during a particularly bumpy flight back form Malta. We flew again 3 years ago and I was never so terrified, I thought I was going to die every time the plane shuddered a bit. I swore I would never fly again but I had to fly again a few weeks ago. I went for a session with a hypnotist and he also gave me a cd with a few little excercises for me to do on my own. Along with that he went through all the stuff that happens on a plane, noises, turbulence etc and that the plane is designed to fly under very extreme circumstances.
    I spent a week or 2 before my flight going through all this and rationalising it all in my mind, I also watched as many planes taking off that morning as I could from the departures lounge, watched them climbing and banking and seeing how normal it was for them to do that.
    I was still nervous getting on the flight as I didint know how I was going to react when it all started but I was fine, I was very relaxed during take off and luckily it was a very smooth flight and I was fine during the landing aswell, I dident enjoy a single second of the whole thing and I could not wait to get on the ground but it was way better than the last time I flew.
    I had kids with me and I also found that giving a little cheer with them when the plane landed relieved all the built up stree inside me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭GalwayDub2

Hiya,

I dont like flying either. A homeopathist told me to take Acconite the night before a flight and also that morning if I was really bad. You get it in Health food shops.

Also, I find the website: www.fearofflyinghelp.com is brill! I go into it the night before flying and it really puts your mind at rest. Nearly makes the flight interesting really, as you know exactly what all the sounds are.

I'm never going to LOVE flying, but every little bit helps.....

Good luck! :)

Advertisement