Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nankang/Kenda tyres

• 08-07-2009 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone's bought either Nankang or Kenda tyres before. I need to get a couple of front tyres for my focus (size 205/40 R17) and after ringing around these seem to be the cheapest available.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Hi, just wondering if anyone's bought either Nankang or Kenda tyres before. I need to get a couple of front tyres for my focus (size 205/40 R17) and after ringing around these seem to be the cheapest available.

Any thoughts?

I'm sure you'll find more info on both types of tyres by searching these forums.

I have had Nankang's before and never again, dont expect to stop in a hurry...theres no such thing a cheap tyres imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

If your looking for budget tyres get some Kumhos or something to that effect.

Theres a reason Nankangs are cheap.Ditchfinders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Pay an extra few quid and buy something decent. They are often cheaper for a reason. Decent tyres are money well spent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Nankangs last forever and wouldn't grip well enough to pull a greasy stick out of a dogs ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have Kendas on my bicycle.

Goodyear Eagles on my car though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have Sonar on the front of my car.
    Can honestly say that the defference between them and the original dunlops is minimal
    Trust me.
    I dont drive with slippers yet.. especially in the rain. ;)

Shop arouns see if you can find any.
    Was told thery were made by NangKang.

Khumo's are suicidal tyres in the wet.:eek:

I have 205/45/16's on mine and would not hesitate getting them again :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

vectra wrote: »
    I have Sonar on the front of my car.

rathcormac?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I replaced a set of NangKangs with another set and I'm less happy than before with the latest set as the wall of the tyre is too soft and affects handling when loading up in the corner.
    Pay attention to the side wall rigidity value when ordering the tyres and you'll be fine. I knew I was going for a softer sidewall this time but the result was a bit unexpected; Still handles safely and is quieter than last set but you feel the tyre loading up in the corner.
    Both sets of NangKangs have been good for me in that they lasted well and handled predictably in all weathers but I messed up on the side wall value for this set.

maidhc wrote: »
    rathcormac?

They are available there ;)

Mailman wrote: »
    I replaced a set of NangKangs with another set and I'm less happy than before with the latest set as the wall of the tyre is too soft and affects handling when loading up in the corner.
    Pay attention to the side wall rigidity value when ordering the tyres and you'll be fine. I knew I was going for a softer sidewall this time but the result was a bit unexpected; Still handles safely and is quieter than last set but you feel the tyre loading up in the corner.
    Both sets of NangKangs have been good for me in that they lasted well and handled predictably in all weathers but I messed up on the side wall value for this set.

What size tyres did you use?
    I am sure the 40's would be plenty hard enough on the sidewalls ( or lack of sidewalls) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

big fat ones. low profiles wouldn't suffer as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,480 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just how cheap are these tyres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Nankang aren't a bad tyre, better than kenda. Try getting kumho they should be better and still cheap. I'd advise spending money on tyres though, its money well spent. Even just get firestone or something premium but not too expensive

colm_mcm wrote: »
    just how cheap are these tyres?

Dunlops / 205/45/16 = €135 each
    Sonar / 205/45/16 = €160 fitted .. FOR 2...!! ;)

you can get 2 Nankang NS2's delivered from camskill.co.uk for E102
    you can get 4 Kumho Solus delivered for E119
    you can get 2 Toyo proxes delivered for E156

allow 30 quid for fitting and balancing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Rang around a couple of places in dublin and the best I was getting was €75 for a Nangkang, that was fast fit in Donnybrook. I'm headin up north at the weekend so I rang a crowd in Strabane and they have the Kenda's for £45. Gotta be worth it at that!

get half decent tyres will ya!

Advertisement