Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manioc flour (farinha de mandioca)

Options
  • 08-07-2009 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Would anybody know of any place in Dublin that sells the above? It's an ingredient in a lot of Brazilian dishes.

Thanks a million :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't know, but you might get more luck searching for it under the names 'cassava flour', 'tapioca flour' or 'tapioca starch'. I'd try some of the more colourful shops in the area of Moore Street (actually, I'm not sure whether they're still there, the council were having a bit of a clear out down there with lots of closed shops last time I was there).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Unz13

Ah is it the same thing as Tapioca flour? I didn't realise that! Sure they sell that everywhere. Thanks a million Alun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Unz13 wrote: »
    Ah is it the same thing as Tapioca flour? I didn't realise that! Sure they sell that everywhere. Thanks a million Alun :D
    Well, I'm pretty sure it is. Tapioca is definitely made from the cassava root anyway. I know Wikipedia isn't always right about everything, but they seem to agree with me ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapioca_flour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

There's a tiny Brazilian shop on Crow St. in Temple Bar that sells it, it's in a small arcade alongside a "head" shop. There are two varieties of that flour, sour and sweet. I think the regular cassava flour available in african shops that Alun mentioned is sweet, and definitely available on Moore St. in one of the african shops there, and even in asia market on Drury St. But for Brazilian dishes, at least for cheese rolls (pao de queijo) they use the sour variety of flour. They also sell fresh cassava roots in some asian shops too.

Advertisement