Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DeMint amendment to audit the Federal Reserve blocked by Senate Leadership

Options
  • 08-07-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,418 ✭✭✭✭

I thought this was a funny clip , especially the last 5min or so, I know nothing about Senate procedures but on the surface the block seems to be arbitary depending on what the issue is

Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC) is blocked by Senate Democrat Leadership from having a vote on his amendment to audit the Federal Reserve, based on a bill authored by Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas) in the House, H.R. 1207, and Senator Bernie Sanders (D-Vermont) in the Senate, S. 604.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

''Standard statement in support of Ron Paul''

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

silverharp wrote: »
    I thought this was a funny clip , especially the last 5min or so, I know nothing about Senate procedures but on the surface the block seems to be arbitary depending on what the issue is

Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC) is blocked by Senate Democrat Leadership from having a vote on his amendment to audit the Federal Reserve, based on a bill authored by Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas) in the House, H.R. 1207, and Senator Bernie Sanders (D-Vermont) in the Senate, S. 604.

No, the block isn't arbitrary depending on what the issue is -- the block arises if the amendment is judged to be a rules violation, and this must be put in motion by a point of order raised by any member of the Senate. DeMint complaining after the votes that other amendments were rule violations is sour grapes -- he and every other senator were free to raise a point of order on them before they were voted on. Once voted on, it's too late. Them's the rules, as he well knows.

BTW the person who was responsible for the block was Ben Nelson, a notorious DINO more conservative than many Republicans, who often votes with the Republicans.

Advertisement