Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VAUXHALL ASTRA

• 08-07-2009 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Afternoon all,

I posted on here a few weeks back saying I'm a 23 year old man finally getting round to getting my licence and a car on the road.

In my first thread I was thinking of either a Megane, 307 or an Astra. I have decided to go with the Astra. Really I am just looking for some information on here from Astra owners.

How do you rate them? Do you have any bother with them? How are they fuel wise? Sore on the diesel or not to bad? They look like a lovely car and can't wait to get my hands on them but before I take the plunge I would like a few bits of insider information.

I was looking at a 2006 VAUXHALL ASTRA 1.7 CDTi 16V Life [80] 5dr Diesel Hatchback (as quoted from Auto Trader lol).

Thanks for any help guys. Great area for information on here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Afternoon all,

I posted on here a few weeks back saying I'm a 23 year old man finally getting round to getting my licence and a car on the road.

In my first thread I was thinking of either a Megane, 307 or an Astra. I have decided to go with the Astra. Really I am just looking for some information on here from Astra owners.

How do you rate them? Do you have any bother with them? How are they fuel wise? Sore on the diesel or not to bad? They look like a lovely car and can't wait to get my hands on them but before I take the plunge I would like a few bits of insider information.

I was looking at a 2006 VAUXHALL ASTRA 1.7 CDTi 16V Life [80] 5dr Diesel Hatchback (as quoted from Auto Trader lol).

Was there an 80ps 1.7CDTi in 06? The 1.3Cdti is 90ps, that's the usual engine in the Life.

If you are buying a Vauxhall (and living ROI) be prepared to run it for a LONG TIME. The Griffen on the front means it's worth half what the equivalent Opel Astra would be.

Life is the basic model. In the Opels A/C isn't standard on that spec, but it may have been on the Vauxhalls. You'd be better off looking for a Club spec model with the 1.3CDti 90 ps engine. Much cheaper to tax although the emissions are similar so the VRT wouldn't be that much different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

A friend of mine has the 1.3 cdti (90) and he loves it. Lots of lag but use the gearbox and it flies. Insurance may be cheaper than a 1.7 if it's your first car and will do more mpg and be cheaper to tax. Think he gets about 900km to a tank from his...and hasn't serviced it - had its first when he got it at about 20k km now at 60 odd and still going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I've bought a few van versions of thoses recently because that engine is an older Isuzu design and its bomb proof. Gotta say I love em and I know guys who have huge mileage on them. Great on juice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Afternoon all,

I had a 06 Astra Estate design, 1.7CDTI unit for a few months before...

Have to say, really loved the car...
    not the most powerfullest, but still fun to drive...
    I found them easy on juice, on long journeys I was getting sometimes over 1000km from the tank...
    build quality was good, can't fault them,
    nothing too complicated electronic wise... so no major issues,
    engine sounds a bit tractor like on the 1.7,
    comfy ride, covered a lot of miles in my one, 50,000KM in 9 months, and never missed a beat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭John-Holmes

Wow guys thanks a million for this.

I should have stated from the outset I'm based in Tyrone so it will be bought in the North.

The 1.7 was brothering me a bit as well as the insurance could be a problem. I looked at a few quotes and it made my eyes water lol. Would there be a big difference between that and the 1.3/1.4? I don't really need a shed load of power. I won't be going round corners shouting POWER like Jeremy Clarkson. I just don't want to struggle passing car's lol.

• Advertisement

Wow guys thanks a million for this.

I should have stated from the outset I'm based in Tyrone so it will be bought in the North.

The 1.7 was brothering me a bit as well as the insurance could be a problem. I looked at a few quotes and it made my eyes water lol. Would there be a big difference between that and the 1.3/1.4? I don't really need a shed load of power. I won't be going round corners shouting POWER like Jeremy Clarkson. I just don't want to struggle passing car's lol.

Actually the 1.7CDTI has a power output of 80ps while the 1.3CDTI unit has 90ps.....
    The 1.3 is a much newer engine design... and puts out more power,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

robtri wrote: »
    Actually the 1.7CDTI has a power output of 80ps while the 1.3CDTI unit has 90ps.....
    The 1.3 is a much newer engine design... and puts out more power,

Yeah but it doesnt really translate when you're driving them. The little Fiat 1.3 might be quicker off the mark but the 1.7 has much more torque when it counts and longer legs on a big journey. Both are good engines though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The 1.3 is geared to eek the most economy. It has a 6 speed box and even in 5th at 100km/h you'd need 4th for overtaking and 6th is even a bit high for 120km/h. Sometimes a tight corner would nearly need 1st.

When it's on song though it does fly for what it is.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Yeah but it doesnt really translate when you're driving them. The little Fiat 1.3 might be quicker off the mark but the 1.7 has much more torque when it counts and longer legs on a big journey. Both are good engines though.

would agree, thats why I had the 1.7 myself ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement