Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shore fishing ring of kerry

Options
  • 08-07-2009 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi, I'll be staying in Kerry the week after next. Not a fishing holiday really, but was going to bring a spinning rod and reel and see if there's anything to be caught. Would be happy enough with mackerel / pollock, maybe spinning from rocks. Will be in and around Derrynane / Caherdaniel. Any advice on good spots? Tackle? Time and tide? Would be much appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Anywhere around there and you are going to get fish. Basically anywhere where you can get down to the water. There are some good marks between caherdaniel and waterville. All fairly accessible and you will prob see other anglers fishing to give you an idea of where to go.

tackle for mackeral and pollock? Lures - cheap, silver and heavy. Try jelly worms fished hard on the bottom for the big pollock in deeper marks but be prepared to lose a bit of gear. Couple of sets of feathers and you should get enough mackeral for the BBQ in no time either!

The tides that week will be late evenings off the top of my head but you might want to double check that.

Tight lines :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ErniePie

Cheers man, much appreciated. This is really a holilday with the girlfriend and I'm just going to fit in a small bit of fishing here and there. Just bought a spool of 12lb line and a couple of wedge spinners with a bit of weight in them, about 1.5 ounces each. Am just going to stick with the spinning as it would be good to get a bit of sport out of the mackerel instead of just hauling them up several at a time. If I got a stray bass I'd be very happy, but not too bothered really. Aim here is to have a bit of craic and fill the bbq. Here's hoping the weather is half decent. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

No problem. How many times has that been said - its a holiday with the girlfriend but a bit of fishing might be on the cards" - ha! we all know where are priorities lie. ;)

Let me know how you get on. Enjoy the hols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johncclancy

Hey there, I've had to rejoin boards with this new profile as I lost the details of my last login...

Anyway, thanks for the help last time, got on very well - went out in a boat and caught a few mackerel but also caught a few mackerel and pollack spinning from some rocks, which was great fun.

Cheers.

Advertisement