Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What PSU to use ?

Options
  • 08-07-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello all ,

This is my second build and i am not sure what PSU to use .
    Here is a list of parts :

i7 core 920 DO CPU (witout fan)

3*1 Corsair XMS3 3GB Kit DDR3-1600

Asus Rampage II GENE motherboard

Hitachi Deskstar 1000GB, SATA II

Pioneer BDC-S02BK Blu-Ray ROM, SATA schwarz

Samsung SH-223Q bare schwarz lightscribe

Sapphire HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express

Wintech int.Card Reader 3,5

NZXT Rogue case

Have all parts , but not sure what PSU to use is a 650 watts to low ?

I will not be adding another graphic card , maybe another hard drive in time or the opinion to upgrade the CPU chip .

Any help would be great .

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

a decent 650w would be fine;

I'm sure TF will come in saying a really solid 450w would be grand too :P

Umm, as an aside, are u leaving the stock hsf on the i7 or a third party one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

650w is only too low if you use a cheap supply, any decent 650w supply would power that lot no problem. Had you something in mind? Hard to go wrong with corsair, I was admiring this PSU recently in the new range; superb psu and fully modular. If you're more budget conscious then something like this or this is a good solid reliable choice. A cheaper, lower rated supply would also work fine but there's little point in throwing the bare necessities into a new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Gonzales24

i would aim higher then 650W the thing is, u might runn it well, but then u get a game, it takes the max out of ur pc, then 650w might be a false investment. 750-850w. corsair, or other brands ( dont save on a PSU).
    just a tip. be careful mixing a Sapphire ati cards with a asus motherboard... they just somehow dont like each other. sapphir tryed to get in conntact many times to fix this, but asus somehow dont give a S@$%^T :D just to let u know. it affects mostly HD4870. u can read more under game.amd.com in the forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

There is no way he will need anything higher than a good 650W for a HD4870, unless there are games out there that can magically increase the maximum possible power draw for the card .

allright mate, happend to me, liitle OC will do the job( why else buying a asus rampage)... so when u wana run ur system idle, ok... when not.. go higher.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 cty of d tribes

Thanks everyone for all the input .

I was thinking about going down the cheap road for a PSU but not anymore .

A Crosairs PSU is what i will get .

i gone the cheap rode once, cost me 2 PSU + 3rd wich worked... :D and when u get now a good one, it will hold for long time.. when u upgrade, one of the parts wich u want be worrying about... :D there is a difference if u put 30,- on top and get a decent, or just buy for 150,- a new one, becouse u apgraded some parts... :) respect

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

It really depends on how much you want to OC that sucker (probably nothing extreme if you went for a HD4870 instead of the HD4890). Even so, I think 650W is almost too high for this one as you're not going multicard. You're proabably talking 300-350W needed for heavy gaming, upper end for benching/torture and pushing 400W Prime/Furmark on moderate OC (on CPU, HD4870 is already high-strung and won't OC far at all :o). In real life a decent 550W would do you unless you're trying some kind of mad liquid-cooled casemod thingy with 1337 overvolting (in which case feel free to get the TX650W :D)

Advertisement