Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club - Portlaoise

Options
  • 08-07-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Anyone interested in joining a book club in Portlaoise? We currently have a small group of people who meet up and discuss a book over a pint or two. Always room for a few more. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

I'd be interested.
    What are you reading and where do you meet?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

Marginally off-topic but I notice the second hand book store in Portlaoise is having a closing down sale. That's the bookshop down the alley near Colgan Sports. There might be some bargains. Sad to see another business go though :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Marginally off-topic but I notice the second hand book store in Portlaoise is having a closing down sale. That's the bookshop down the alley near Colgan Sports. There might be some bargains. Sad to see another business go though :-(

Oh no ..

I really like that shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Brand New

Their prices were excessive for second hand books anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭El Che

Portlaoise has an excellent public library located in Lyster Square, so its very rarely that you need to purchase books, although I'm sad that shop is closing as it has always been an good place to pick up a few interesting reads that aren't always popular in libraries.

• Advertisement

To be honest, in the times when you can find everything on the Internet, either on the auction sites or the Internet bookshops, I can hardly see the way the small book shops can continue to exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

Hi ADTR, I might be interested in this. It would be nice to do something locally for a change.

Can you please let me know what you are currently reading and some of the books the club has read in the past and perhaps then I can get some more details about your meet ups.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

Hi all,

It's a real shame the bookshop is closing.

I've bought a fair few books from there and much prefer an actual book shop to the like of Tesco's to buy books in.

Saying that I got a 2nd hand copy of a Kurt Cobain bio for pretty much the same at it is new in Dublin so.

Joe Dunne
    http://bujinkanportlaoise.com

I have to say I rarely if ever buy anything in the two bookshops in Portlaoise as the range is fairly limited. If you're in Dublin, a small bookshop worth popping into is the Oxfam secondhand bookshop on Parliament St. Nearly all €5, in great condition and always stocked with great titles....plus it's for a good cause :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Anyone else interested? We are meeting up again this Tuesday. Doesn't matter if you've read the book or not. You can come along, meet everybody and get the next book selection.

• Advertisement

ADTR, I was all set to go along on Tuesday except a neighbour's cat decided to drop by that evening, followed closely on it's heels by my two dogs who chased it all over the house, so the evening was spent clearing up after the mayhem...and cat spray :eek:

Really enjoyed the book and hopefully I'll make it along to the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

where do you guys meet and when is the next one?

Ruby, ADTR will probably send you the details of the next one. I was due to go along for the first time last week (see above :rolleyes:) so I've no idea if it's held in the same place every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Forward me on some details, OP. What are ye reading now? What sort of books have ye done in the past? Time and place, etc?

Meeting up this month on the 20th. The current book selection is Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol. New people more than welcome to come along. Let me know if interested either by posting or private message.

Bump! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mellick

is the book club still meeting?

Yes. We just had our monthly meeting last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

ADTR wrote: »
    Yes. We just had our monthly meeting last night.

How would one go about joining?

Kenteach wrote: »
    How would one go about joining?

Just come along to our next meet up! If you're interested, I'll pm you the details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

ADTR wrote: »
    Just come along to our next meet up! If you're interested, I'll pm you the details.

Please do.

When do we meet in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bananamam

is the book club still on the go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 garniey_luvs

just want to know details of when and where the next meetup is

just want to know details of when and where the next meetup is

Tonight. PM sent.

Meeting up next week instead. If anyone wants to come along, let me know and I'll PM you the details.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bananamam

would be interested in joining too if you could send me on details

• Advertisement

bananamam wrote: »
    would be interested in joining too if you could send me on details

PM sent. :)

Advertisement