Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 100 rules of photography!

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Even with RAW, it is safer to bracket the image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

4. Sunny 16 rule. "On a sunny day set aperture to f/16 and shutter speed to the (reciprocal of the) ISO film speed." Have to test this out myself

An elaborated form of the Sunny 16 rule is to set shutter speed nearest to the reciprocal of the ISO film speed and f-number according to this table:
    Aperture Lighting Conditions Shadow Detail
    f/16 Sunny Distinct
    f/11 Slight Overcast Soft around edges
    f/8 Overcast Barely visible
    f/5.6 Heavy Overcast No shadows
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

#3 I'll take a stab at this,

Regularly take photo's of things even if you don't find them particularly interesting.

Take shots of streets,buildings,every room in your home,roads,signs,fields,hedges,trees........... pretty much everything and not only the usual candidates, they don't have to be perfect or even very good but they are still a record of that moment in time.

Think of all the old photo's taken by your family or even by perfect strangers, they show you how everything has changed, they show you a building that will not last forever, a tree that may outlast everyone you know, a field that may one day be turned in to a lawn and so on...

Its amazing looking at old photo's that show how things have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

2. Print your photos. They can look much better on paper than on screen (assuming using digital).

Now, OP for no. 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

#1 ... USE FILM !

I jest, I jest :-)
    4. Sunny 16 rule. "On a sunny day set aperture to f/16 and shutter speed to the (reciprocal of the) ISO film speed." Have to test this out myself

An elaborated form of the Sunny 16 rule is to set shutter speed nearest to the reciprocal of the ISO film speed and f-number according to this table:
    Aperture Lighting Conditions Shadow Detail
    f/16 Sunny Distinct
    f/11 Slight Overcast Soft around edges
    f/8 Overcast Barely visible
    f/5.6 Heavy Overcast No shadows
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule

From experience here in ireland its more a sunny 11 rule. Even on our sunniest days we rarely seem to get up to the same level of sunny goodness as wherever it was the whoever coined this lived. Its a good rule of thumb though, bit of practice and you can get pretty close for the most part.

From experience here in ireland its more a sunny 11 rule. Even on our sunniest days we rarely seem to get up to the same level of sunny goodness as wherever it was the whoever coined this lived. Its a good rule of thumb though, bit of practice and you can get pretty close for the most part.

Yep you could be right. Was looking at it earlier thinking nice overcast day today and then comparing it to light meter on camera its traslated light level was more towards "Heavy Overcast" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bennett Karl

Hi,

Refer to your camera manual for what each of these settings do. Once you understand the auto settings and feel comfortable going into manual mode, your camera will have settings for this also. Once in manual mode you will need to understand how to set your aperture and shutter speed. This will be important for correct exposure. <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Paulw wrote: »
    94: Make sure you have your memory card in the camera and it has enough space for your task.

This oh so many times this. I was out wandering around with the little one on Saturday, daddy had his camera with him snapping away till I went ot look at one and caught the glimpse of the no card message on screen.

Card was in my laptop case after sorting out a few pics one evening! *Facepalm*

As per one of the rules above got caught out recently and left my battery at home in its charger one day

Also if shotting film, bringing an extra roll of film mightn't be the worst idea in the world

Advertisement