Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercing healing with immune suppressants

Options
  • 08-07-2009 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey all,

This might be a bit of a stupid/strange question, but does anyone have any experience of piercings while on immune suppressants?

I ask as for sickness reasons I am currently on these suppressants, and I have noticed (and been told by docs there would be) issues around how bruises/bites/cuts and things heal and was wondering how this might affect the healing of a piercing or the chances of it getting infected...

Have had a piercing before i went on these things and I healed up pretty quick, just wondering does anyone have experience of this??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I would not get a piercing if you are on these type of immune supressants. You need to be in the top of your health, a piercing is more or less a fresh wound in your body, it has to form a fistula around the piercing and heal it. It is by no means an easy task for your body to accomplish.

Personally I wouldn't risk it at all, maybe talk to your doc about it all but I presume he/she may say the same as I am.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

+1 to what Will said. If you're on immune suppressants and the piercing gets infected (which there's a pretty good chance of) it would likely turn very nasty. Best bet is to wait until your back to full health and then get the piercing as a celebratory present to yourself.

Advertisement