Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A letter to Mr. Cowen

Options
  • 08-07-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Dear Mr. Cowen

Please find below my suggestions for fixing Irelands economy.

Istead of giving 7 Billion euro to Anglo Irish Bank, who will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the Republican Retirement Plan

There are about 1 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them 7 million euro each severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1. They must retire. One million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2. They must buy a new car. One Million cars ordered - Auto industry fixed.

3. They must either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing crises fixed.

4. They must send their kids to school/college/uiversity - Crime rate fixed

5. They must buy 100 euro of alcohol/tobacco a week, and theres your money back in duty/tax etc.

It can't get any easier than that.

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members of government payback their falsely claimed expensis and allowences.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

That just might work.

Why is this in the Humour forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Would fail right at point 1. Where are you going to get 1 million highly experienced people to replace those kicked out?

Other than that, I like it, original thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

Good idea I'm 48 by the time they get this through and approved meself and Hagar will be 50 so were all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

7 million by 1 million doesn't equal 7 billion, it's 7 trillion I think. 7 billion is 1 million by 1000. Otherewise, I like it :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

Indie18 wrote: »
    There are about 1 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them 7 million euro each severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

*Ahem* - 7 billion divided by 1 million people = €7,000 each - not 7m each. Not easy to buy a house/car/college education etc with that.
    Sorry to spoil the joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Ah sure that doesnt matter, the addition mistakes - whats a few trillion missing in this government.

Love the original post by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'm tempted to move it to the Politics Forum. It could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Better than what the government have as it is anyway.

It's defo worth a try.!!:):pac:

Advertisement