Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bounty Bar is "not distinctive"

Options
  • 08-07-2009 3:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Bounty Bar 'not distinctive'
    Wednesday, 8 July 2009 12:00

The European Court of Justice has ruled that the Bounty Bar cannot be given a special European trademark simply because of its shape.

The chocolate manufacturer Mars Inc had applied for a community trademark for the Bounty Bar arguing that its distinctive shape was recognised throughout the EU.

Mars claimed that because of its 'three dimensional' nature the Bounty Bar's shape could be granted trademark status.

AdvertisementThe chocolate maker was granted the trademark following an application in April 2003 by the European office which controls trademarks, but later that year the German manufacturer Ludwig Schokolade challenged the decision claiming the Bounty Bar did not have any special characteristics.

In 2007 the Office of Harmonisation for the Internal Market withdrew the trademark agreeing that the coconut filled chocolate bar did not have a shape which departed from normal chocolate bar shapes.

Mars challenged the decision at the ECJ's Court of First Instance in Luxembourg and today lost the case.

The Court ruled that the bar's shape was not so distinct that it would be recognised as such by consumers across the EU.

In a statement the Court concluded: 'In the present case, the allegedly distinctive characteristics, namely the rounded ends of the bar and the three arrows or chevrons on top of it, cannot be sufficiently distinguished from other shapes commonly used for chocolate bars'.

The Court also said that a survey carried out by Mars in six of the then 15 member states - United Kingdom, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands - did not necessarily mean the Bounty Bar's shape was regarded as a unique selling point throughout the EU.

www.rte.ie/news

I don't know what to say, I mean, im stunned! I love bounty bars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It tastes horrible too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Quick, to the bomb shelter!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'd want to be badly stuck for a bit of chocolate to go eating a bounty bar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

One of the most minging bars around, ewwwww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Mutiny for the Bounty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

who buys them because they're shaped like a rectangular oval anyway????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I dont get it. Bounty isnt distinctive. Yea, it kinda stands out coz its a coconut bar, but the shape isnt. Then again how distinctive can a chocolate bar be?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moved from After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I like them to be honest.

3 dimensional shape though. How many 2 dimension bars are there ?? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

One of the most minging bars around, ewwwww
    +1.. It's up there with the Turkish Delight and the Soft Nougat Bar...

*Ralf*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

KTRIC wrote: »
    3 dimensional shape though. How many 2 dimension bars are there ?? :rolleyes:

After Eights are wafer thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Its distinctively manky... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

The shop where I work are always sold out of them so stop the bounty bar bashing! They are the best bar out there!

But Turkish delight, ewh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'd want to be badly stuck for a bit of chocolate to go eating a bounty bar.
    I would want to be badly stuck for chocolate to eat a cucumber coated in chocolate. Bounties are all about the coconut! If you don't like coconut fine, are there people who love coconut & hate bounties?

Also great to see RTE spending my licence fees on reporting essential news like this, I hope they had a newsflash on TV.

Link in the OP is not bringing the story http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0708/eu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Dark chocolate Bounty. Yum.

Anyone remember the little cardboard thingy they used to sit on inside the wrapper?

I assume a twix is not distinctive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

The chocolate on 'em is not particularly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'd recognise a bounty bar tbh, it's sort of a rectangle with the corners sawn off, and has that ridge bit on top.

Bountys ftw, I love them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

phasers wrote: »
    I'd recognise a bounty bar tbh, it's sort of a rectangle with the corners sawn off, and has that ridge bit on top.

Bountys ftw, I love them
    Just curious about whether the plural would be "Bounties"? I wonder.

The poor ol' Bounty must feel so unloved right now. I never overly loved it though myself, would be alright if there was nothing else, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I used to like eating the chocolate off the bar and then roll the coconut filling into a sticky ball and eat that then too. Messy habit altogether. I would only do it with one of the bars, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Cassidy1

WindSock wrote: »
    I used to like eating the chocolate off the bar and then roll the coconut filling into a sticky ball and eat that then too. Messy habit altogether. I would only do it with one of the bars, mind.

EWWWWWW! Dont put me off them! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

WindSock wrote: »

This is how I like eating them too :D

And whoever slagged the soft nougat bar....banned for eternity.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

what a load of crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Archeron

W123-80's wrote: »
    Dark chocolate Bounty. Yum.

Anyone remember the little cardboard thingy they used to sit on inside the wrapper?

I assume a twix is not distinctive either.

That little cardboard thing made a perfect bridge for matchbox cars I do remember.

I love bounties, but not frequently.

Advertisement