Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon vote October 2nd - How do you intend to vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

just on that last point and this:
    Sam Vimes wrote: »

is there every time when international law has been struck down or interpreted differently than what has been stated in a treaty? to be a bit more specific, in the last 50 years has the european court in a test case every ruled on a treaty that was contrary to specific content in that particular treaty.

another words, to finally put this issue to bed, can you state definitively that the guarantees we have gotten, can never be challenged and successfully struck down by the ECJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Spook_ie wrote: »
    The wording to me does not copperfasten any guarantee.. anyone remember this "guarantee"

Do you have any belief or faith in the United Nations as an international body?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭poncho000

it'll be a no vote from me because it puts more power in the hands of the "big" euro states. It seems as though we are moving towards a europe run by france, britainand germany. Essentially they will be making the laws for our country and we'll have no say. So I believe the no campaign are right to reference the people who brought independence to this country because a yes vote would be throwing that away!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

poncho000 wrote: »
    it'll be a no vote from me because it puts more power in the hands of the "gig" euro states.
    How does it do that?
    It seems as though we are moving towards a europe run by france, britainand germany. Essentially they will be making the laws for our country and we'll have no say.
    Eh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

How do you reckon a no vote is putting more power in the hands of the big states?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭fligedlyflick

prinz wrote: »
    These guarantees have nothing to do with Fianna Fáil.

what?
    who in gods name was over in Brussels apologising for our ignored no vote? the cast of fame?
    of course it has everything to do with fianna fail, it's their slogan, it's their legacy and future boasting material, "i got the legally binding guarantees, vote yes for gold deposits in monaghan",
    really

oscarBravo wrote: »
    How does it do that? Eh, no.

the yes side say no more times than the actual no voters, no to anything which contradicts their europhilia

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

what?
    who in gods name was over in Brussels apologising for our ignored no vote? the cast of fame?
    of course it has everything to do with fianna fail, it's their slogan, it's their legacy and future boasting material, "i got the legally binding guarantees, vote yes for gold deposits in monaghan",
    really

It has nothing to do with Fianna Fáil, any more than the GFA. Legally binding international agreements are legally binding international agreements, whoever signs them.

regards,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with Fianna Fáil, any more than the GFA. Legally binding international agreements are legally binding international agreements, whoever signs them.

regards,
    Scofflaw

regardless, we shall be forever known as pushovers in europe and the world by the cowardice of fianna fail ignoring our vote and a beacon to other semi democratic corrupt states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

Scofflaw wrote: »

regards,
    Scofflaw

Yes but have the declarations been signed?

Or does that not matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

regardless, we shall be forever known as pushovers in europe and the world by the cowardice of fianna fail ignoring our vote and a beacon to other semi democratic corrupt states

Indeed, regardless. So even if you accept they are legally binding, it doesn't really matter.
    free-man wrote: »

Or does that not matter?

I suppose they could conceivably go back on them.

I suppose it is another "conceivable fact" to be added to the others.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Indeed, regardless. So even if you accept they are legally binding, it doesn't really matter.

I suppose it is another "conceivable fact" to be added to the others.

so accepting our role from now on as weaklings is comparible to believing a politicians word.

Thats right, cos politicians never go back on their word.. right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Or does that not matter?

I am sick of repeating myself, but a Council Decision is an instrument of EU law. And this one is no different to the countless others in existance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

This is not "their word", this is a legally binding guarantee. It's like the difference between not building you that football pitch he promised and murdering people who were going to vote for his opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well they *could* ignore the guarantees. They *could* just ignore everything in the Lisbon treaty (which the guarantees are based on). They *could* just ignore everything in previous treaties. Of course, we then could just ignore any laws they tell us to enforce. "Sorry, we decided to ignore the guarantees on abortion. Please provide abortion services". "No sorry, we're going to ignore your request for us to change our law on abortion because you ignored the guarantee". The whole system is based on everyone keeping to their agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

prinz wrote: »
    Do you have any belief or faith in the United Nations as an international body?

Given their past record on Israel/Palestine/Afghanistan/Iraq/Korea do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Given their past record on Israel/Palestine/Afghanistan/Iraq/Korea do you?

Shows what happens when you give everyone a veto, I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Look, the EU has never gone back on protocols or agreements so, yes, I trust the EU.

Really, people who have this logic musn't get in a car or fly on an airplane. Sure it could crash.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Anyone else get that vile leaflet from Coir through the door today?

• Advertisement

Rb wrote: »
    Anyone else get that vile leaflet from Coir through the door today?

No, but I've a feeling I'll be doing the same 'return to sender' thing I did with the UKIP one.

Look, the EU has never gone back on protocols or agreements so, yes, I trust the EU.

Really, people who have this logic musn't get in a car or fly on an airplane. Sure it could crash.

I voted yes for every previous treaty.

When I saw the shameful reaction after the Irish no vote last year that trust has all but disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

When I saw the shameful reaction after the Irish no vote last year that trust has all but disappeared.

It was perfectly within keeping with them not liking us having a vote in the first place.

I suppose there should be at least one link to the debate in this particular thread. Even if Scofflaw and sink didn't surface :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055695799

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

he he he ah come on, our habit is voting more than once on our treaty's, where have you been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

No, but I've a feeling I'll be doing the same 'return to sender' thing I did with the UKIP one.
    It's horrendous.

They also put it through my letter box which has a large "No Junk Mail" sign on it. Ignorant bastards.

Ask Turgon or Rb what they think of having a second vote...

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

In relation to the reaction to the No vote last year, we are being fairly precious. The No vote was our absolute right, and a free expression of the will of the people, BUT...
    1 The vote was preceded by an ugly, narrow, debate, with a significant amount of dishonest claims made.
    2 The yes side, largely comprised of our politicians, made a horses ass of their job. They were complacent, bullying, and presumptive.
    3 The no side, in particular the extreme right, disregarded all the evidence of our 35 years experience as EU members, and painted Brussels as some kind of cabal hell-bent on stripping Ireland's independence away.
    4 We revealed ourselves as a nation of self-obsessed, grabby, and fairly paranoid little nation.
    It was this, as much as the result of the referendum, that lowered our standing across Europe and beyond.

This time, the yes campaign, particularly the civil society groupings, have at least addressed the substantive issues.
    The no side have consistently claimed that the guarantees hold no water. I would respectfully suggest that if this is the case, that we do not trust the heads of state of our 26 fellow member states to uphold an international agreement, lodged with the UN, a process that has held firm for all such previous international treaties, that we should immediately withdraw from the EU.I'm hoping for a yes vote. I think it will be very close. I have been disappointed with much of the discourse on the subject, on this board as much as on any other fora. God help this little country if we don't grow up- and soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

In relation to the reaction to the No vote last year, we are being fairly precious. The No vote was our absolute right, and a free expression of the will of the people, BUT...
    1 The vote was preceded by an ugly, narrow, debate, with a significant amount of dishonest claims made.
    2 The yes side, largely comprised of our politicians, made a horses ass of their job. They were complacent, bullying, and presumptive.
    3 The no side, in particular the extreme right, disregarded all the evidence of our 35 years experience as EU members, and painted Brussels as some kind of cabal hell-bent on stripping Ireland's independence away.
    4 We revealed ourselves as a nation of self-obsessed, grabby, and fairly paranoid little nation.
    It was this, as much as the result of the referendum, that lowered our standing across Europe and beyond.

This time, the yes campaign, particularly the civil society groupings, have at least addressed the substantive issues.
    The no side have consistently claimed that the guarantees hold no water. I would respectfully suggest that if this is the case, that we do not trust the heads of state of our 26 fellow member states to uphold an international agreement, lodged with the UN, a process that has held firm for all such previous international treaties, that we should immediately withdraw from the EU.I'm hoping for a yes vote. I think it will be very close. I have been disappointed with much of the discourse on the subject, on this board as much as on any other fora. God help this little country if we don't grow up- and soon.

But it WAS a no vote, not an "Ask me again sometime vote"

EU promises....If the treaty isn't ratified by all states then it will not occur
    EU fact..........If you voted no we'll make you vote again and again and again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Just wondering; does anyone complaining about the second referendum feel the same way about the 2 divorce referendums.

Advertisement