Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon vote October 2nd - How do you intend to vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Just wondering; does anyone complaining about the second referendum feel the same way about the 2 divorce referendums.

No because <insert unspecified amount of time greater than between two Lisbon referenda, but less than, like, I dunno, 50 years or something, here> passed in between them, don't you know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just wondering; does anyone complaining about the second referendum feel the same way about the 2 divorce referendums.

I voted NO to them as well....:)

BTW Seeing as the result of that referendum in 1995 was only 50.28% Yes Does that mean we should run that one again!

Maybe we need a referendum to state that unless a referendum is passed by 60% then it's invalid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

meglome wrote: »
    he he he ah come on, our habit is voting more than once on our treaty's, where have you been?

Just because we've had to vote again doesn't make it right.

No it was the shameful response by Brian Cowen last year that prompted a greater interest in this.

For those that never got to see this you can watch his reaction right here. He is completely uncomfortable, won't admit that he'll be asked to re-run it a truly shocking display.

You can also see the reaction of Barosso who said:

"The commission will endorse his request (Cowen's) that Ireland will be given time to decide how to react and to come forward with proposals on the next steps"

Anyone who says that Cowen has not told to re-run the treaty in the days that followed needs their head examined. He requested more time. You don't need to request anything from anyone once your electorate have spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

is it true that this referendum paves the way for a president of the EU, who will be elected internally that we the people of europe will have no vote on?

the campaigns have been people saying vote yes or vote no because you should in our best interests, again I and i feel many other dont understand the ins and outs of this, its become a vote for this side because so and so is saying so....

• Advertisement

r_obric wrote: »
    is it true that this referendum paves the way for a president of the EU, who will be elected internally that we the people of europe will have no vote on?

Nope, not true. Right now there's a president of the European council (all the governments of the EU make up the council). That position rotates amongst the heads of governments, no one at all votes on it, when it's your turn you get it for six months, even if no one else wants you, or you're useless.

What they are doing is allowing the council to elect their president for a term of 2.5 years, and allowing them to be re-elected for another 2.5 years if they are doing a good job.

That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

r_obric wrote: »
    is it true that this referendum paves the way for a president of the EU, who will be elected internally that we the people of europe will have no vote on?..

There is no "President of the EU" in the Lisbon Treaty. There is a President of the European Council just like there is at present. As of now the Presidency rotates every six months, the current president is the Prime Minister of Sweden. If Lisbon is ratified the term is extended to two and a half years, instead of changing every six months. The office of President of the European Council is given no formal powers, but heads the Council and would take a role in representing the EU abroad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_European_Council

Nope, not true. Right now there's a president of the European council (all the governments of the EU make up the council). That position rotates amongst the heads of governments, no one at all votes on it, when it's your turn you get it for six months, even if no one else wants you, or you're useless.

What they are doing is allowing the council to elect their president for a term of 2.5 years, and allowing them to be re-elected for another 2.5 years if they are doing a good job.

That's all.

Correct, and that person has been rumoured to be Tony Blair in the British Press. Whether this person has powers or not I do not want any possibility of Mr Blair on the world stage again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

free-man wrote: »
    Correct, and that person has been rumoured to be Tony Blair in the British Press. Whether this person has powers or not I do not want any possibility of Mr Blair on the world stage again.
    Yes, and only in the British Press. As far as I'm aware, he has little to no support from anyone else.

But let's not let the details interfere, eh?

Pure speculation...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ask Turgon or Rb what they think of having a second vote...
    I <3 that I get to vote on the text again, how silly I would feel had I the information and insight I have now had my previous vote been my only chance.

Rb wrote: »
    Yes, and only in the British Press. As far as I'm aware, he has little to no support from anyone else.

But let's not let the details interfere, eh?

I'll just post the links here and let him make up his own mind.

Latest articles
    Blair's EU presidency hopes under threat as Irish backing for treaty slumps
    - The Guardian

Election Success revives talk of Barroso and Blair 'Dream Team' in Brussels
    - The Times

And some articles by main stream media during the summer:

Could Tony Blair Become the first EU President?
    - UK Independent

Brown Backs Blair as First EU President
    - Financial Times

Tony Blair is our man for EU President
    - The Guardian

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'll just post the links here and let him make up his own mind.

Latest articles
    Blair's EU presidency hopes under threat as Irish backing for treaty slumps
    - The Guardian

Election Success revives talk of Barroso and Blair 'Dream Team' in Brussels
    - The Times

And some articles by main stream media during the summer:

Could Tony Blair Become the first EU President?
    - UK Independent

Brown Backs Blair as First EU President
    - Financial Times

Tony Blair is our man for EU President
    - The Guardian

Very interesting, except Blair already has been President under the current system.

We could have a directly elected President but then we'd be insignificant.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Very interesting, except Blair already has been President under the current system.

We could have a directly elected President but then we'd be insignificant.

I'd prefer to allow the citizens of Europe to choose, that way we'd never have a chance of Mr Blair employed in any way by the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I'd prefer to allow the citizens of Europe to choose, that way we'd never have a chance of Mr Blair employed in any way by the EU.

Of course not, if the President of the European Council was to be directly elected it would be a German every time!

Dinner wrote: »
    Of course not, if the President of the European Council was to be directly elected it would be a German every time!

I think there is a groundswell of opinion in Europe that Blair should not be let anywhere near Europe - for more see here:

Stop Blair Campaign Gathers Pace in Europe

Anyway its slightly off topic, the main reason personally to Vote No is as described in earlier posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

does anyone think robbie keane and damien duff will be voting tommorrow,even though they spend their life in england hmmmmmm!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Off to vote no tomorrow.

I wont be selling out on my country.

The only job thats guaranteed if this gets a yes will be Biffo`s. Maybe if they had amended the bits that people were concerned with it might be a yes but I for one wont be voting for taking away our rights to vote on changes to our own constituency, this isnt nazi germany after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Maybe if they had amended the bits that people were concerned with it might be a yes

They did.
    but I for one wont be voting for taking away our rights to vote on changes to our own constituency,

You're wrong on that point. All changes to the Constitution have to be put to referendum regardless of any EU treaty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

Off to vote no tomorrow.

I wont be selling out on my country.

The only job thats guaranteed if this gets a yes will be Biffo`s. Maybe if they had amended the bits that people were concerned with it might be a yes but I for one wont be voting for taking away our rights to vote on changes to our own constituency, this isnt nazi germany after all.

Im not sure how acurate the boards opinion is but it seems to be that theres any awfull lot more people claiming they will vote No tomorrow than Yes on here.
    The yes voters here just seem to be the same people posting in every thread and will no doubt arrive shortly to dispute my faceless lies and bombard me with 7 million quotes from wikipedia or whatever thier overused google search engine throws up to back it up.

the outside world opinion polls seems to think a yes vote is in the bag but
    whats the real chances of a surprise win for the No's tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 hcvti

NO!.
    I can't understand for the life of me why I should repeat myself!
    If a yes goes through this time will we have a rerun of it again next year?

hcvti wrote: »
    NO!.
    I can't understand for the life of me why I should repeat myself!
    If a yes goes through this time will we have a rerun of it again next year?

Of course not, that would be undemocratic:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Im not sure how acurate the boards opinion is but it seems to be that theres any awfull lot more people claiming they will vote No tomorrow than Yes on here.
    The yes voters here just seem to be the same people posting in every thread and will no doubt arrive shortly to dispute my faceless lies and bombard me with 7 million quotes from wikipedia or whatever thier overused google search engine throws up to back it up.

the outside world opinion polls seems to think a yes vote is in the bag but
    whats the real chances of a surprise win for the No's tomorrow?

We tend to only register once. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

the outside world opinion polls seems to think a yes vote is in the bag but whats the real chances of a surprise win for the No's tomorrow?

IMO those ''media polls'' are only created to influence ones decision towards a particular

direction. I for one don't believe it is as clear cut in the ''real world'' as the Yes side would lead

one to believe.;)

Stark wrote: »
    They did.

You might want to correct that mate.

What part of the treaty did they amend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

Of course not, that would be undemocratic:D

yeah but in fareness the treaty has changed since the last time so we are voting on something dfferent.

actually wait a minute........

Oh dont even bother arguing it with him. I saw he posted that but couldnt be bothered listening to lies off him.

As for the whole no voters registering more than once marco, get a grip boy, if tis a dig at me Im registered since july or august last year, so either Im mystic meg or yer theory is a load a cack.

yeah but in fareness the treaty has changed since the last time so we are voting on something dfferent.

actually wait a minute........

lol..................I hears it ......the penny dropping;)

Na theyl keep going til they get the yes they want. When they get that, thats the end of discussion for good on anything in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

People were concerned with the 18 commissioner rotating system so they changed it to a each country sends a permanent commissioner system.

We have guarantees annexed to the treaty on the remaining issues that concerned voters from Lisbon I. They didn't require token changes to the text of the treaty itself because they weren't incompatible with the treaty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

Nah...there won't be a 3rd referendum. Britain would probably have a referendum by then and

they would surely sink it.

Advertisement