Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon vote October 2nd - How do you intend to vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

diaduit73 wrote: »
    don't know where else to ask this sorry.

Are you allowed to vote without having a poling card? there is 7 people living here who are eligible to vote but our poling cards (I assume that's what they are called) never came in the post, our neighbours didn't get any either. I know from previous elections our names are on a list at the local poling station, if I bring ID can I still vote without the card?

Just bring ID (passport/drivers licence etc) and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭fligedlyflick

smokingman wrote: »

You're new here yeah?
    Going to any post project marketing parties after this? ;)

eh?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    fligedlyflick, why do you want to deny the people who voted on the issues of taxation, abortion, neutrality, conscription and the loss of a commissioner the right to change their minds? Is that not very undemocratic?

You can say that they were the majority issues all you want but you can't deny that they were significant issues for many people

maybe so, not up my way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 diaduit73

thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

That's true, provided that you are on the electoral register.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

maybe so, not up my way though.

But up your way isn't the whole country. So it's not undemocratic at all, ta :)

But up your way isn't the whole country. So it's not undemocratic at all, ta :)

neither is asking 1600 from dublin 4

neither is asking 1600 from dublin 4

They didn't. That would be a very unsound way to do a survey and something that Millward Brown, a company that does this for a living, would be well aware of. As would the two other survey companies.

And I don't know about you I've seen an awful lot of people who were concerned about neutrality, conscription, corporation tax and the loss of the commissioner. The only one I haven't seen much of is abortion.

Not to mention the people who go on about the guarantees not being binding. I don't really see how that's relevant if they're not concerned about any of the issues they address

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

traitors is too much of a strong word, any suggestions for an alternative?.

Truthers? ;)

...maybe "fact-ers"

• Advertisement

They didn't. That would be a very unsound way to do a survey and something that Millward Brown, a company that does this for a living, would be well aware of. As would the two other survey companies.

And I don't know about you I've seen an awful lot of people who were concerned about neutrality, conscription, corporation tax and the loss of the commissioner. The only one I haven't seen much of is abortion.

Not to mention the people who go on about the guarantees not being binding. I don't really see how that's relevant if they're not concerned about any of the issues they address

i think they just had about enough politician lies and do not trust them with matters as big as this. fianna fail have no-one to blame but themselves for the lack of trust people have for them

Truthers? ;)

...maybe "fact-ers"

maybe "elaboratorsonwhyyouthinki'mheadingtoapartylater-ers"

i think they just had about enough politician lies and do not trust them with matters as big as this.
    They don't have to. I don't understand why people have this fixation on the government as if the only people they will accept information on this treaty from are the ones they trust the least. There are dozens of other non-biased, factual sources of information on this treaty. You need never have heard of Fianna Fail or any Irish politician to learn everything there is to know about it and tbh you'd be better off ignoring them
    fianna fail have no-one to blame but themselves for the lack of trust people have for them

You're absolutely right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

They don't have to. I don't understand why people have this fixation on the government as if the only people they will accept information on this treaty from are the ones they trust the least. There are dozens of other non-biased, factual sources of information on this treaty. You need never have heard of Fianna Fail or any Irish politician to learn everything there is to know about it and tbh you'd be better off ignoring them

You're absolutely right.

Good god, I thanked something that Vimes said.

You went off the rails a while back in your posts (around the time that you no longer seemed to think that 'the cake is the lie')

Maybe you can smell ballot box success....

The fact that FF helped write the Constitution treaty is not terribly important by this stage - depressingly I don't think Biffo ever did bother reading it.

we agree on one thing.
    seriously though, you have to realise that fianna fail are the vehicle for this treaty and people would rather believe someone outside of politics who does'nt rehash the same tired argument over and over and treat their denials of certain non-factual nonsense regarding the treaty as suspect.
    i have learned, probably wrongly, that anything which comes from a politicians mouth is self serving tripe, i have been let down on many issues i sought political help for, small issues which elected rep's are paid to cater for, but have been dismayed at their laziness and lies irrelevant of what party they belong to.
    many many people feel the same and probably erroneously carry that over to the lisbon treaty and other such matters, i however have separated my contempt for career politicians and this treaty which i earnestly believe will contribute nothing but further bureaucracy to already disenfranchised minds.
    admittedly i was strong on word showing my absolute rejection of lisbon but there were not influenced by ganly, coir , sinn fein or any others, my strongest feeling to date is the fact we're been asked to re-vote because brian cowen sat on his arse the last time and never bothered explaining or clarifying the issues which apparently forced our hand last time, for this reason and this reason alone i shall still vote no.

Good god, I thanked something that Vimes said.
    don't ya feel dirty ;)

we agree on one thing.
    seriously though, you have to realise that fianna fail are the vehicle for this treaty and people would rather believe someone outside of politics who does'nt rehash the same tired argument over and over and treat their denials of certain non-factual nonsense regarding the treaty as suspect.
    i have learned, probably wrongly, that anything which comes from a politicians mouth is self serving tripe, i have been let down on many issues i sought political help for, small issues which elected rep's are paid to cater for, but have been dismayed at their laziness and lies irrelevant of what party they belong to.
    many many people feel the same and probably erroneously carry that over to the lisbon treaty and other such matters, i however have separated my contempt for career politicians and this treaty which i earnestly believe will contribute nothing but further bureaucracy to already disenfranchised minds.
    admittedly i was strong on word showing my absolute rejection of lisbon but there were not influenced by ganly, coir , sinn fein or any others, my strongest feeling to date is the fact we're been asked to re-vote because brian cowen sat on his arse the last time and never bothered explaining or clarifying the issues which apparently forced our hand last time, for this reason and this reason alone i shall still vote no.

While I can't condone voting no just because of the re-vote because I am firmly of the belief that the Irish people were fooled into voting no by extremists the last time, I suppose I'll have to respect your choice because there's not a whole lot I can do about it now :D

While I can't condone voting no just because of the re-vote because I am firmly of the belief that the Irish people were fooled into voting no by extremists the last time, I suppose I'll have to respect your choice because there's not a whole lot I can do about it now :D

you have until 8 0'clock to either convince me or buy me :eek:

you have until 8 0'clock to either convince me or buy me :eek:

ah sure we won't worry about that. The lizard people at the EU have already bought the referendum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

ah sure we won't worry about that. The lizard people at the EU have already bought the referendum :pac:

Sure they did. Maybe that's why they didn't re-run the French vote as they couldn't be bothered pouring money into such a big country.

Besides which they could hardly threaten France the same way the political parties thretened the Irish voters.

Please don't reply with information pertaining to 'no' pressure group scaremongering - we allllll know about it already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 yozzie

the_syco wrote: »
    Like all new users who claim not to have a bias, who support the NO vote, and keep repeating the NO lies, disinformation.

The army thing has been around since Nice, and we still are not contributing to it.
    Keep beating the EU drum ... Tony will be very grateful in a few weeks time.

Do you not think the people who voted no because of the issues of taxation, abortion, neutrality, conscription and the loss of a commissioner should be given the opportunity to change their mind now that those issues have been addressed?
    By 'addressed' would you be referring to the guarantees that have been loosely stapled/attached and aren't worth the paper they're written on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

yozzie wrote: »
    By 'addressed' would you be referring to the guarantees that have been loosely stapled/attached and aren't worth the paper they're written on?

No, those guarantees don't exist. Legally binding agreements, lodged with the UN under the Vienna convention do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

... my strongest feeling to date is the fact we're been asked to re-vote because brian cowen sat on his arse the last time and never bothered explaining or clarifying the issues which apparently forced our hand last time, for this reason and this reason alone i shall still vote no.

Don't make this a protest vote. If you really want to get back at the Government which ran our country into the ground, you will get your chance.

Don't take it out on a co-operative union which has remained a much needed source of stability and moderation to this country, and the wider world.

Yes that's right good man. I think the 1587th time someone says that it will become true

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Wow five post in an already you have a 40% 'mistruth' posting ratio, what with abortion and the guarantees.

Impressive start but I will be interested to see if you have the stamina to keep it up.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Impressive start but I will be interested to see if you have the stamina to keep it up.

Not much point at this stage. give it up Ganley :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

we agree on one thing.
    seriously though, you have to realise that fianna fail are the vehicle for this treaty and people would rather believe someone outside of politics who does'nt rehash the same tired argument over and over and treat their denials of certain non-factual nonsense regarding the treaty as suspect.i have learned, probably wrongly, that anything which comes from a politicians mouth is self serving tripe, i have been let down on many issues i sought political help for, small issues which elected rep's are paid to cater for, but have been dismayed at their laziness and lies irrelevant of what party they belong to.

So you have now voted no twice, because politicians whom you don't trust, didn't sponfeed you with information.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Wow five post in an already you have a 40% 'mistruth' posting ratio, what with abortion and the guarantees.

I'm entitled to my opinion, just like anyone else.

The European Constitution [let's forget the BS about calling it a 'Treaty'] is a pile of steaming dog turd.

I'm not European; it is not my nationality.
    My sovereign country, which is geographically located in Europe and trades in Europe, provides my nationality.

I have zero desire to be a European citizen, beholding to a European superstate.

Being in the EU is not dependent on agreeing to the proposed European Constitution. 'Europe' will not fall apart if the NO vote wins [for a second time].

Re: stamina to keep it up.
    I can assure you my position will not change until I'm 6 feet under.
    Any time the subject is mentioned today, tomorrow, next week, next year or next decade; I will feel as strongly and as passionately about it, as I ever have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 johnwillnot

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Sorry - let me just check something here. Are you saying that this is a new post since last year? That it is separate from the President of the European Council post that was much debated last time round?

perplexed,
    Scofflaw

William Hague hopefully helping to change the Prime Minister's mind on the new EU Treaty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Cj1b-rp1E

How come everyboby is talking about this job. Tony Blair will be president of Europe.

Advertisement