Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon vote October 2nd - How do you intend to vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I have not voted. I'm disgusted that there even IS another vote!!! :(
    Regardless of what the outcome was last time, the country spoke!!!

The Fcuking cheek of Brian Cown today to encourage people to go out & vote. Telling people it was important to do so, & that it was important to have your say.

The majority of the country wasn't listened to last time!
    They did speak, but where they listened to? No.
    So what's different this time?
    If we vote no again, are they gonna say ok?
    No. They'll say, 'oh silly Ireland, you got it wrong again' 'Here, have another go'
    Democracy my bloody ar$e!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

free-man wrote: »
    I guess its too late for proper unbiased legal opinion on this. With all due respect.

Fair enough. I don't see how it could be any plainer.

If you're wondering Competences of the EU are the policy areas where it has power (or not) there are 4 categories of competence:

1. No Competence - The EU has no power to legislate or aid the member states.
    2. Supporting Competence - The EU can assist the member states in coordinating policy
    3. Shared Competence - The EU can legislate, but the member states are free to go further in national legislation, once it doesn't interfere with EU legislation.
    4. Exclusive Competence - The EU has exclusive right of legislation, the member states may not legislate in this area.

Policy areas are things like the common market, health, tourism, energy, customs, immigration etc.

No way of construing any of that to mean the title, role or responsibilities of the president of the Council, the only way they could be changed is through a full treaty between the member states, not through Article 48.

The problem you'll have in finding a legal opinion on it is the same one you'd have in finding a legal opinion on 'Would Article 48 allow the EU to change what I had for dinner yesterday?'. The simple answer is it doesn't do it, and why would anyone give an opinion on something that's not at all open to interpretation.

He has been touted for the job even when he was still Prime Minister of Great Britain and months before most Irish people knew anything about the Lisbon treaty. Here is an article that appeared in the Financial Times on the 03/05/07 - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4b7e16a2-f9a6-11db-9b6b-000b5df10621.html?nclick_check=1

How do you explain that?

The FT are pimping him, but they don't actually get to make the decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I voted NO in the above poll but changed my vote to YES this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

BoozyBabe wrote: »

They actually were. The Lisbon Treaty wasnt ratified, if you remember. But is my time posting this wasted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I have not voted. I'm disgusted that there even IS another vote!!! :(
    Regardless of what the outcome was last time, the country spoke!!!

The Fcuking cheek of Brian Cown today to encourage people to go out & vote. Telling people it was important to do so, & that it was important to have your say.

So what's different this time?
    If we vote no again, are they gonna say ok?
    No. They'll say, 'oh silly Ireland, you got it wrong again' 'Here, have another go'
    Democracy my bloody ar$e!!!
    Oh no, the Taoiseach encouraged people to go out and vote, following a 40% turnout last time. How dare he. Lets take to the streets etc etc etc

Since this is your first post here, I would suggest searching for terms relating to the "re-run", you'll see there are very valid reasons for them doing so and that contrary to your brash statement, it is democracy at its finest. You just happen to not like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

turgon wrote: »
    They actually were. The Lisbon Treaty wasnt ratified, if you remember. But is my time posting this wasted?

So what, the idea is that you must reject all treatys for life so they can't be ratified?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Nulty wrote: »

so did i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

pm. wrote: »
    so did i

I didn't.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

turgon wrote: »

Yes its wasted as your spinning.

It wasn't ratified but the vote wasn't respected as we were asked to vote again. Simple really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Just voted 'No' after voting 'Yes' the first time. A matter of principle, i.e. we stop living in a truly liberal nation when we are asked to vote repeatedly until we get the right result. This second vote simply isn't valid to any true liberal.

Regarding the 'Lisbon Treaty' itself, I have no problems with it, since its essentially just some E.U. adminstrative house-keeping and tweaking. Its actual effects on Ireland will be pretty minimum, if passed, and certainly it is nowhere near as controversial as people/politicians are making it out to be. Really, the past few months 'debate' on the Lisbon Treaty has been pathetic, no more then scare-mongering and irrelevent nonsense, and proves just how despicable Irish politicans are.

Rb wrote: »
    Oh no, the Taoiseach encouraged people to go out and vote, following a 40% turnout last time. How dare he. Lets take to the streets etc etc etc

Since this is your first post here, I would suggest searching for terms relating to the "re-run", you'll see there are very valid reasons for them doing so and that contrary to your brash statement, it is democracy at its finest. You just happen to not like it.

The country voted.
    The vote was for whether or not to ratify the treaty.
    We said NO.
    In a democracy, that'd have been the end of it.
    It's not, they said: you've gotten it wrong. Try again
    & if we get it 'wrong' again, they'll make us do it again & again until silly old Ireland gets it right.
    That's democracy, How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aaaaargh

i went to vote today and found it odd that there was no garda presence at the voting station and then when i went to vote i was given a pencil wtf? the goverment are not taking any chances are they?:mad:

aaaaargh wrote: »
    i went to vote today and found it odd that there was no garda presence at the voting station and then when i went to vote i was given a pencil wtf? the goverment are not taking any chances are they?:mad:

Why would there be a garda presence and why would you want a pen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

just heard a funny one on tv3 news headlines:

''turnout is expected to increase ..........'' what else could happen in the last hour or 2 of polling?? ;-) good old tv3

The country voted.
    The vote was for whether or not to ratify the treaty.
    We said NO.
    In a democracy, that'd have been the end of it.
    It's not, they said: you've gotten it wrong. Try again
    & if we get it 'wrong' again, they'll make us do it again & again until silly old Ireland gets it right.
    That's democracy, How?
    How about because they addressed our "concerns" in the form of binding guarantees and are now giving us a chance to vote on it again, albeit with our "concerns" now out of the way?

They didn't say "You got it wrong", they said "What, in the text, do the Irish people have an issue with?". So there were surveys carried out and we gave a few reasons, none that had real footing in the text, and they were brought to the table and the most effecient solution was found.

Since then, I've went from being a No voter to being very much in favour of the treaty, so I for one am glad of our opportunity to vote again on it and I know many others are too.

Just out of interest, did you vote No last time around and if so, why did you vote that way? (With quotation from the Treaty for relevancy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Can't vote

Under !8 !

SV wrote: »
    Why would there be a garda presence and why would you want a pen?
    are you kidding me ? there is allways a gara presence at polling stations to ensure there is no rigging are you retarded man comon it wouldint be the first time they rigged a vote a remember allot of dead people voting (it got me kicked of register)

Being completely honest: I didn't vote last time, as the information given to the lay person was pathetic, & I didn't understand any of it, so I didn't want to give a false vote to any one side, as I didn't know which was the right option to go for.

So you see, I'm NOT against the treaty. I honestly don't know if it's good or bad for us.
    I'm just very annoyed that the country was asked to vote again.
    We were told at the time we wouldn't be.

I don't really mind what the outcome is tomorrow, just in proncipal, I'm not happy that we were bullied into voting again on something we already voted on.

I know that'll prob add fuel to your fire, but I'm just being honest.

are you kidding me ? there is allways a gara presence at polling stations to ensure there is no rigging are you retarded man comon it wouldint be the first time they rigged a vote a remember allot of dead people voting (it got me kicked of register)

I've voted loads of times and not once have I seen a garda presence.
    Don't call me retarded.

• Advertisement

are you kidding me ? there is allways a gara presence at polling stations to ensure there is no rigging are you retarded man

:confused:
    There has NEVER been a garda presence at my polling station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

SV wrote: »
    I've voted loads of times and not once have I seen a garda presence.
    Don't call me retarded.

Same here, but I have a feeling it comes down to the quality of your area.

Being completely honest: I didn't vote last time, as the information given to the lay person was pathetic, & I didn't understand any of it, so I didn't want to give a false vote to any one side, as I didn't know which was the right option to go for.

So you see, I'm NOT against the treaty. I honestly don't know if it's good or bad for us.

I don't really mind what the outcome is tomorrow, just in proncipal, I'm not happy that we were bullied into voting again on something we already voted on.

Don't worry, we're not being bullied. It's all above board, despite what some people may want you to believe.

Fair play on abstaining though, you could always go and spoil the vote if you feel the whole thing hasn't been handled properly though.

well maybe it just my bad neighbourhood but there allways there today they were not eitherway should be a pen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 yozzie

Nulty wrote: »
    pm. wrote: »
    so did i

Out of genuine interest, do you mind sharing why?
    Was there a single issue that caused the change in views, or a myriad of reasons?

well maybe it just my bad neighbourhood but there allways there today they were not eitherway should be a pen!

If they had the time and opportunity to erase perfectly your pencil mark, and add their own, do you not think it would be easier to just make up a load of false ballots and swap them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

If they had the time and opportunity to erase perfectly your pencil mark, and add their own, do you not think it would be easier to just make up a load of false ballots and swap them?

In a boardroom dimly lit by flickering torches on the walls, in the land of Euelitistan, the secret serpent rulers of the NWO click onto boards.ie, and look at each other, tongues flickering in anger at their oversight. And at the time, the wholesale price of UltraErasers that nice man from Rivada offered them seemed so good.

PopeBuckfastXVI, they might hire you as a consultant!

In all seriousness, it really is stretching for a conspiracy if the use of pencils has to come in to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tattoodublin

:eek: perhaps the secret serpent rulers have figured this all out, and have arranged a lack of garda's and pencils to mark with as a deliberate breadcrumb trail to lead us all down the wrong path! When suspicions arise about the ballots being "tampered with" and are checked for erasures.... there won't be any! because the sly and slithering secret serpent rulers ALSO switched the ballots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭fligedlyflick

was brian cowen extracting the urine when he said the irish people have voted with a "clear and resounding voice",
    did we vote with a hidden and muffled whimper last time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I don't understand. You of all people should be thankful for a second chance to give your opinion and there were many more like you. Unfortunately many people in your position voted no last time because it was the "safe" option. A year later and they understand the issues better so why not see if they've changed their minds?

Advertisement