Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In-expensive Galway Hotels/B+Bs?

Options
  • 08-07-2009 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Looking to visit and stay in Galway city on Friday August 7th but unfortunately finding Hotel and B+B prices very high, even for the usually cheaper places Travelodge, Jurys Inn etc.
    Most hotels are around €120 for a double room for the night, a couple of the B+Bs on college Road are €90 for the room, bit high for a B+B I think.

Any suggestions for more affordable accom in Galway that night?

Is there some special event on in Galway that night?
    On the same night its possible to get decent 3 and 4 star hotels in Cork, Dublin and Limerick for €80 on laterooms.com
    I suppose Galway can set their prices high as there is always some event on there? e.g. Arts week, race week, Ocean race etc

Reminds me of this news article I read before and just found again now thru google ..
    Galway races to top of expensive hotels list - Travel Advice ...
    http://www.independent.ie/travel/travel-advice/galway-races-to-top-of-expensive-hotels-list-1083907.html

Galway races to top of expensive hotels list
    Wednesday September 19 2007
    GALWAY is the most expensive place in Ireland to stay, with a hotel room costing more than it does in Tokyo, Singapore or San Francisco, a new worldwide survey has shown.

Even outside of race week, when prices sky-rocket further, hotels in the City of the Tribes charge an average of €140 a night, putting them up there amongst the top 20 most expensive destinations in the world, and only marginally behind Dubai and Amsterdam, the survey by hotels.com revealed.

Cork is not too far behind, charging an average of €128 a night. Prices there are rising faster than anywhere else in Ireland -- by 7pc in the past year.

In Dublin, prices are €119 a night, putting the capital in the middle of the international price-league for hotel destinations and below average for this country as a whole as prices have fallen by 2pc since last year. Limerick is far cheaper for a city break than anywhere else in Ireland, with prices of on average €85 per night, having fallen by 25pc in the last year. Hotels.com put this down to increased competition, with six new hotels opening there this year alone.

However, Irish Hotels Federation chief executive John Power disputed the finding that Galway hotels were more expensive than Dublin ones, although he said Limerick definitely would have the cheapest prices.

"It all depends what you look at. If you take weekend prices, Galway might be dearer because it does more business then, whereas Dublin might be more expensive during the week."

Ireland is the 12th most expensive country for hotel rooms in Europe, charging an average of €121 per night -- below the European average of €132 -- and prices here fell by 1pc last year. The UK is the most expensive EU destination, charging an average €162 per room.

Moscow is the most expensive city in the world to visit, charging on average a whopping €284 per room per night; followed by New York at €210; and Venice at €204.

London saw one of the highest price rises for the major European capitals, with prices shooting up 19pc to €176. This was attributed to the lack of cheaper hotel beds in the city, forcing travellers to buy higher-rated and pricier rooms.

Geneva, Boston, Chicago, Edinburgh, Rome and Copenhagen completed the top 10 of the world's most expensive cities for visitors. Hotel rates rose by just 0.8pc year-on-year in 2007; but while rates fell in Asia, in Europe they rose by over 5pc.

Patrik Oqvist of Hotels.com said some of the best value was to be found in major destinations outside Europe.

"While prices across Europe are up, many major global cities have actually experienced a price drop since last year, making some destinations great value for travellers," he said.

However, despite the weak dollar, it appears difficult to snap up a bargain in the US, with New York, Boston, Chicago and Washington all in the top dozen dearest destinations, although the west coast is a little cheaper with average prices of €123 in Seattle and €119 in San Francisco.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

www.hostelworld.com They do cheap hotels too. Or www.couchsurfing.com if you like meeting the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

one of the boys, stayed in the spinnaker for about €40 quid. and had great craic till all hours w/ the night porter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Days Hotel is always pretty reasonable

Corrib Haven is close to where im living - friends stayed before and said it was grand - http://www.corribhaven.net

Sleepzone is a great little hostel - http://www.sleepzone.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

yesh prices are dear during race week, but back in september during my graduation in nuig i nabbed myself a double room exluding breakfast for 60 for two of us.
    Spainish arch hotel was where.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

A few suggestions for places where I've found better prices than the norm:
    Harbour Hotel (City Centre)
    Galway Arms Pub (City Centre - they do B&B)
    Warwick Hotel in Salthill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

dilallio wrote: »
    A few suggestions for places where I've found better prices than the norm:
    Harbour Hotel (City Centre)
    Galway Arms Pub (City Centre - they do B&B)
    Warwick Hotel in Salthill

Galway Arms is dirt cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Garveys on Eyre Sq. is cheap too

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

thanks for all the tips. I'll give em a call today

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As you're there for one night, I assume you're going drinking, so don't forget to add taxi fares to and back from hotels, if they're not nearby. Jury's is €130 for the night, but located within walking distance of Eyre Square. Also has a few good pubs nearby, and a late opening takeaway nearby.

http://www.hostelireland.com lists 4 hostels in Galway, starting at €17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭willy wonka

I just booked a room in Amber Lodge on College Road (3 mins from Eyre Square) for €59 pp (breakfast and parking included).
    I'm too old to share a hostel room and too poor for a hotel room!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

€59 pp as in per person, it is hardly €118 in total for 1 night in a B+B!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Kinlay House (Hostel) on Eyre Sq is brilliant. Very clean, free breakfast, free wifi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If you haggle with hotels you will get a very good rate.

I promoted a gig in Bar903 last night and had to book accom for the act. Got them a twin room in the Westren for 70 including breakfast, which is great deal, you could ger a tripple for about 90 I reckon and a double for about 60/70. Out of the hostels, Snoozles beside the new coach station is the cleanest/nicest but is slightly more expensive than the others.

I saw a sign on the guesthouse over la salsa at the bottom of abbeygate street with "single room €35, double room €50" dont know what the place is called or what its liek but thats as good a deal as you will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Rates will often depend on availability-I think thats race week time is it? Also many hotels do not want bookings for only 1 night (especially Sat night) so often works out cheaper per night based on booking 2 nights or more. I'll have a look on some sites and see if I can find anything decent for that date and a double room. Will let you know if I can see any decent value but its peak season and a Sat night so wouldn't count on it.

ROK-this site/page http://www.irishaccommodationguide.com/galway.htm shows hotels, bed and breakfasts, hostels, guesthouses etc.. in Galway for your dates. Best rate I saw for B and B in a hotel was 40 a head (in salthill) which seems to be what most Bed and breakfasts are charging. Depends on location I guess. Hope it assists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kapp

In-expensive, value for money, B & B for Galway races:

Hi,

We have a brand new family home just opened as B&B for Galway races. 4mins drive to race course (free lifts given to races and town). Simple luxury, friendly and warm atmosphere with huge comfy beds. Dinner available for no extra charge, just warm up yourself at your convenience. Pics available.
    Great rooms with expansive views and plenty of room to put in more beds for group sharing. Honest, fun people wanted! How about 40pp sharing (1st time 'open for business' offer :->)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Going to galway this weekend we have booked into the "best western" any comments on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

moose112 wrote: »
    Going to galway this weekend we have booked into the "best western" any comments on it.

Ahh, how about "didn't know we had one".

Seriously, tell us the name of the hotel rather than the chain, and someone might manage to say something sensible.

Flannery's Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

www.galwayarmsinn.com

Value for money, comfortable and great breakfast the next morning!

• Advertisement

The Western :
    Great location and Tom Wall is chef there (hence the great breakfast :->)- he's brilliant and you should find the rest of the staff very friendly also. You can put me in a 5* hotel but stick in some 'misery guts' and it's down to a 2*. You'll have a great time.

Tell us how you get on-I'd say cheap and cheerful but guess this depends on expectations, what you paid etc.. Interested to here back how you get on. Enjoy the weekend anyway.

Cheap and cheerful is exactly what we looking for, but not hostel fans. We don't plan on spending a lot of time in rather use it as a base to explore the surroundings.

I will stick up a post next week.

Cheap and cheerful is exactly what we looking for, but not hostel fans. We don't plan on spending a lot of time in rather use it as a base to explore the surroundings.

I will stick up a post next week.

I promise you that it's nothing like a hostel - its very clean and fun. It's just value for money (don't let this fool you into thinking this means cheap and nasty!) in a time when everyone seems to be charging whatever they can get away with :-<. Clean rooms, great staff that work well together to make atmosphere light, easy living bar a few steps from all the action and hot tasty fresh food. In this case I think: less is more! , so enjoy.
    K

I'm doing B & B (with free lifts into races and town) next to race course if anyone is interested?? 40pp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭rdow

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Garveys on Eyre Sq. is cheap too

Yeah Garveys in on Eyre sq and is around 40 a night.

Advertisement