Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bichon Frise ?

Options
  • 08-07-2009 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

do these make good pets, me an my gf are trying to decide,

westie or bichon frise, they will be mixing wih golden retriever

any thoughts or suggestions welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I would personally go with the bichon as they are gorgeous dogs, hardly shed and have lovely personalities.. I have had encounters with both types of dogs (friend is a breeder) and I have found that the Westie can be a tad aggressive at times - but thats only from my personal experience and I am sure is not true of all Westies!!.. but do be warned that the Bichons coat needs a lot of looking after in comparrasion with a Westie - again thats just IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭MacBaldy

thank you appreciate your comments, it will be either or, i suppose all dogs have there pros and cons, we might just go for Bichon Frise for a chanage...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Does anyone know why a bichon x wesite (€300) is more expensive than a registered bichon (€250)?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Does anyone know why a bichon x wesite (€300) is more expensive than a registered bichon (€250)?

Tell enough people it should be expensive and it will become expensive. Human nature. It sounds exotic and rare....

It's a swindle, effectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭lgoring21

i have two friend that had bichon and had trouble with their behaviour...one of them had to get them put to sleep as she bit her daughter...

i have a westie and it very mild mannered...but every time we take her to the vet/groomers they are always amazed that she is so calm as westies have a reputation for been snappy...

in my opnion its trial and error...ya could be lucky either way!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sumse

I have a bichon and she is now one year old.
    She is great and a real diva.
    I can not imagin that bichons can be agressiv in any kinda way.
    But i can only speak from my experience.

Bichons are very lively dogs, friendly with other dogs and great companiens.

She is a non shed, and as i suffer from dog allergies, just perfect as i have no reactions.

Bichons are low enegy dogs and this is something you should look up.
    Depending on your lifestyle, this is very important.

Our Bichon does not need long walks to power herself out.
    In generall bichons are "mad" as she loves to run around and under chairs and tables onto the couch and all the ways back into the garden.
    just funny...

My friend ows a bichon x westi, which is also a nice mix.

I cant say much about westies but i hope you find the right dog for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

My gf and I have a Bichon. She is nine months old and like sumse said is a real diva! We recently re-homed a collie/spaniel mix and they both get on so well.
    She loves her walks and playing and is really friendly with other people. I would highly recommend a Bichon.

I've never owned a westie so I can't comment on them.

Good luck with whichever one you go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Dont know why anyone would pay €300 for a cross.
    €250 sounds too cheap for a dog from a reputable breeder to me. Is the bichon registered to the IKC or the Canine Club - which is worthless - and are the pups any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

We have a bichon frise called Casper he is 13 weeks old now. We paid €350euro and he is not registered. Bf's aunt got one about a month before and paid €425 for her. So prices seem to vary...

Casper is our first pup, he is very friendly, lively and a little nuts ;) I would definetly recommend a Bichon. Today he made it up the stairs now keeps disappearing up them and then crying to be carried down lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Lol Cutie - my Lhasa pup does the same, she can bounce up the stairs but can't get down yet.

Check out whomevers selling the dogs, go to see them in their own home etc. Ask for papers (if that's what you're paying for) and so forth.
    Depends on what age the dog is as well (price wise). I got an almost 2 year old Lhasa (she's 3 in sept) for 150euro, granted she wasn't registered or microchipped but she's so wonderful. (we've obv gotten her chipped and all her vacc are up to date).
    Then my Lhasa pup Daisy, we got her at almost 9weeks and she was 500euro, chipped and registered. She too is a fab addition.

But I made sure to get in contact with the owners and talk to them and ask lots of questions and you can ask to see the parents. Just be vigilant and feel free to enquire as much as you like. If they're genuine sellers they'll have no issue with that.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the comments, ill probaly go for a bichon frise as my gf may have allergies etc, plus something diff gonna be a male, an i will be looking for breeder with papers etc i think its worth paying that little extra. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

Hi MacBaldy

Just a few words of advice re Bichons, which noboday told me before I got my crazy dog :D

1. You have to brush their coat at least once a day.
    2. Their ear hair must be plucked out frequently or they are at a risk of going deaf (it sounds nasty, but seriously it has to be done, the vet can do it for you or the groomer, its the hair in the ear, keep on top of this!).

3. Make sure before they get wet (if their coat is longer than a few cm's) that they are brushed or the hair gets very matted and if it gets seriously matted you will have to get the hair shaved off. As I learned after 2 days of bringing my little one to the beach! :o
    their hair (especially puppy hair) is very fine and when not brushed thoroughly through from tip of ears to tail, it will turn into a fuzzy matt and you will not be able to brush it out = cutting it off.

4. They have lots & lots of energy. An hour walk barely cuts it. They love to run around like lunatics, type "bichon blitz" into youtube & you'll get the idea!

5. Because they were bred for decades as circus dogs they have a tendency when excited to jump up on their hind legs, try not to get annoyed when you're telling them to sit & they keep hopping around! its endearing rather than bold ;)

Anyway best of luck, you & your gf will have lots of fun no matter which little dog you decide to home.
    Kiya

Kiya wrote: »
    Hi MacBaldy

Just a few words of advice re Bichons, which noboday told me before I got my crazy dog :D

1. You have to brush their coat at least once a day.
    2. Their ear hair must be plucked out frequently or they are at a risk of going deaf (it sounds nasty, but seriously it has to be done, the vet can do it for you or the groomer, its the hair in the ear, keep on top of this!).

3. Make sure before they get wet (if their coat is longer than a few cm's) that they are brushed or the hair gets very matted and if it gets seriously matted you will have to get the hair shaved off. As I learned after 2 days of bringing my little one to the beach! :o
    their hair (especially puppy hair) is very fine and when not brushed thoroughly through from tip of ears to tail, it will turn into a fuzzy matt and you will not be able to brush it out = cutting it off.

4. They have lots & lots of energy. An hour walk barely cuts it. They love to run around like lunatics, type "bichon blitz" into youtube & you'll get the idea!

5. Because they were bred for decades as circus dogs they have a tendency when excited to jump up on their hind legs, try not to get annoyed when you're telling them to sit & they keep hopping around! its endearing rather than bold ;)

Anyway best of luck, you & your gf will have lots of fun no matter which little dog you decide to home.
    Kiya

thank you for the effort in writing this and it gave me some good thoughts
    wont be gettin one till after august.
    ya i did see some on youtube an look lovely an lively

MacBaldy wrote: »
    thank you for the effort in writing this and it gave me some good thoughts
    wont be gettin one till after august.
    ya i did see some on youtube an look lovely an lively

saw more vids of the blitz, my god there crazy little ones and so innocent, thanks for all post an replies will be in touch if any more developments :D

Advertisement