Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get service from dealership or garage??

• 08-07-2009 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I recently bought a 04 Toyota Corolla (private sale) and the fuel consumption is about half of what it should be - getting 250 - 300km per full tank instead of 500km I should be getting. :eek:

I think I have a small hole in the exhaust but don't know if this would account for such poor fuel economy. May need to get my oxygen sensor checked?

Also have started to hear an inconsistent rub from the front wheel drivers side - as if there is a piece of plastic rubbing against the wheel - when I speed up, so does the sound of the rubbing, and it slows down when I drive slower. Someone thought it might be my brake pads wearing down.

Basically as it'll be my first service of the car I was wondering if a Toyota garage would be the best way forward or can anyone recommend a reputatble garage that could run diagnostic if needed but wont charge me dealership rates?

Living in south Dublin but will travel to get job done right.

Thanks in advance

Squawk :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Certainly no need to go to a Toyota dealer for a 2004 (unless you are willing to pay for the privilege). So what you really need to know is the name of a good indy in South Dublin, I am sure you will get quite a few recommendations. I've always found Richard at Pembroke Motors (Baggot lane) very good.
    T 6685031

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 laycolayco

Hi,
    Castlerock Motors in Swords are a main dealer and can run diagnostics on cars but are doing a special offer of a car service from €99. Very good service too! 01/8084920

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Squawk

Thanks Stevie, much appreciated.

Any idea of cost - general service / replacing brake pads / diagnostic for fuel consumption?

Thanks a mill!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

Squawk wrote: »
    Hi All,

Also have started to hear an inconsistent rub from the front wheel drivers side - as if there is a piece of plastic rubbing against the wheel - when I speed up, so does the sound of the rubbing, and it slows down when I drive slower.

Squawk :P

My wife's car also had this & it's 2008......it was the cable tie that was holding on the wheel trim cover......snipping off the long extended bit that was rubbing off the brake disc did the trick.....check it , it could save you a few bob!

• Advertisement

Fair play J.R. :):) - could save me a few bob alright if that's all it is. Will deffo check it out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Don't think a bit of trim would cause bad mileage like the original posters problem. Bring it to Toyota and let them run it through there machine and they should have the necessary parts in stock.

Usually the computer of the main dealer is a lot better when working on that make of car than a 'plug n' play' computer often used by indys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

Re: front brake pad cost.
    We have a 02 Avensis which had front brake pads changed recently. Cost 60euro inc. labour in an independent in west of ireland. Main dealer (now closed!) quoted 120euro. Got the car tracked today in an other independent in Galway city and asked them what the break pads would cost and they said between 70-80euro fitted. Corolla would be similar cost if not slightly less.

Advertisement