Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month car insurance

Options
  • 08-07-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I've an old Fiesta (98) that's been off the road for a year or so and I want to insure it for just 3 months (Herself is a teacher and gets the summer of so we just need the 2nd car insured for the 2 months she is off.)

Does anyone know of anyone that will insure for this length of time?

My current company are ripping me off on my own policy but said they would insure me for 3 months once I renew my policy with them - which I'm not going to do. It's costing €600 to get the second car insured for a year but I only literally need it for the 3 months.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

as far as I know they wonth insure it short term but there is nothing to stop you paying by DD for 3 months then cancelling your insurance

You could pay it up front and then get a partial refund

Downside to all of this is you wont get any of those 3 months credited to your NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Great idea JustAddWater, to pay by DD and then cancel. They were saying there's about a €25 cancellation fee. I have a 5 year NCB on my current policy, so 3 months shouldn't affect me too much, should it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

as far as I know they wonth insure it short term but there is nothing to stop you paying by DD for 3 months then cancelling your insurance

You could pay it up front and then get a partial refund

Downside to all of this is you wont get any of those 3 months credited to your NCB.
    Stupid idea. If you stop paying a DD, the insurer has to enforce the cancellation clause in the policy to terminate the policy. The next time you look for cover, there is a question (with EVERY insurer) ' has any insurer cancelled a policy on you or required you to carry increased terms'. If you answer NO to that, you've given them an excuse to avoid any claim if they catch you out.

Add the car to your existing policy and take it off when you are finished. Where does the myth come from that you have to be devious in dealing with your insurance company, it is a simple procedure. What insurers hate is being told the same lie they have heard 100's of times before. Trust me, they have heard them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

TBH why would you not insure the car for the full 12 months? It's no harm having a second runaround. The cost would be minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Its my late grandmother's car and its been off the road for a year. My brother will be 17 in 5 months and wants the car then so I only actually want/need it for 3 months.

Existing insurer is fleecing me with my own policy(due for renewal in 2 weeks) and they are the only company willing to so cover 3 months BUT I'm not renewing with them as I can get policy for half the price elsewhere. YES half the price.

Thanks for the advice folks

• Advertisement
Advertisement