Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application For Irish Passport

Options
  • 08-07-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey,

Does anyone knows why Non-Irish application for the Irish passports takes 2 years or over to be processed even tho there is less people applying for the irish passport.:mad::mad::mad:

Also why there is a backlog of since 2007, what are the people in this sector of the goverment doing everyday when they go to work.:(:(:(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Guess there's much more detailed background checks to be done? Irish people are simply entitled to it and just need a Garda Stamp

Smaller teams allocated to the processing may also account for it. People processing it probably need to be more qualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Do you mean Naturalisation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Adams_002

Here is a great source of info on immigration in Ireland

http://immigrationboards.com/viewforum.php?f=34&sid=6dcb592f08c143f84d38c181aee35362

My opinion on why it takes 3 years to get citizenship in Ireland is that the government refuses to hire more to process naturalisation and LTR applications. They also refuse naturalisation applications at a 47% rate which is about the highest in the western world.
    What it looks like is that they are trying to get rid of as many foreignors as possible.
    Unlike someone suggested it has nothing to do with "more stringent checks".
    Oh and they also profit off this backlog because they can charge everyone on a GNIB stamp 1 €150 every year no matter what their visa or work permit limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

We have swamped countries around the world with our hungry and destitute. Now a few thousand foreigners who would not be here if they were not useful cannot get Irish citizenship. What a selfish bunch of xenophobic gits we are, put on earth to make the British look good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Hasschu wrote: »
    We have swamped countries around the world with our hungry and destitute. Now a few thousand foreigners who would not be here if they were not useful cannot get Irish citizenship. What a selfish bunch of xenophobic gits we are, put on earth to make the British look good.

Immigration controls are not xenophobic.

• Advertisement

Adams_002 wrote: »
    Hey,

Does anyone knows why Non-Irish application for the Irish passports takes 2 years or over to be processed even tho there is less people applying for the irish passport.:mad::mad::mad:

Also why there is a backlog of since 2007, what are the people in this sector of the goverment doing everyday when they go to work.:(:(:(

Thanks

Hi Adams,

Are you looking for naturalisation? If you have been granted Irish citizenship you are entitled to a passport. Sorry, but your post is a little vague.

PaulieD wrote: »
    Immigration controls are not xenophobic.

Putting roadblocks in the way of people aquiring residency and citizenship, such as a two or three year processing time, who are entitled to it is xenophobic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

sovtek wrote: »
    Putting roadblocks in the way of people aquiring residency and citizenship, such as a two or three year processing time, who are entitled to it is xenophobic.

I would suggest you stop using words you don't understand the meaning of. Or perhaps just stop confusing your paranoia and hatred with actual fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Citizenship is not an entitlement unless you are born in this country. After that it is a privelage which is bestowed subject to certain criteria and successful application.

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Citizenship is not an entitlement unless you are born in this country. After that it is a privelage which is bestowed subject to certain criteria and successful application.

Stop posting common sense!:)

• Advertisement

Background checks and the like take time. Citizenship is a gift not a right.

A lot of immigrants in Ireland go on about their rights and how everything is so unfair. It is a two way street my friend, if I wanted to obtain American citizenship I would have to pass stringent exams. You are not entitled to citizenship, although you are entitled to apply for it.

Background checks and the like take time. Citizenship is a gift not a right.

A lot of immigrants in Ireland go on about their rights and how everything is so unfair. It is a two way street my friend, if I wanted to obtain American citizenship I would have to pass stringent exams. You are not entitled to citizenship, although you are entitled to apply for it.

Everyone is entitled to good government...ie a reasonable processing time wether they are a citizen or not.
    This time is not being used in the way you say though. It's not more stringent checks but a willing lack of resources.
    Since you brought up America...at least they increased resources to bring down the backlog when the processing time started to get around 7 months. It's now down to about six weeks.
    It's not a right but after paying into a system and contributing to society one would expect that they be seen as equal in law as the society they are contributing to. Purposely evading this is the same as taxation without representation. Some people fought a war over it a few years ago...you might have heard about it.

Everyone is entitled to good government...ie a reasonable processing time wether they are a citizen or not.
    This time is not being used in the way you say though. It's not more stringent checks but a willing lack of resources.
    Since you brought up America...at least they increased resources to bring down the backlog when the processing time started to get around 7 months. It's now down to about six weeks.
    It's not a right but after paying into a system and contributing to society one would expect that they be seen as equal in law as the society they are contributing to. Purposely evading this is the same as taxation without representation. Some people fought a war over it a few years ago...you might have heard about it.

That sounds reasonable enough, Sovtek. I would like Ireland to bring in a similar test as America before one obtains citizenship. Maybe introduce an Irish exam too. It would prove the applicant has a genuine interest in Ireland and not just in on it for the benefits that citizenship brings. It would also spark a revival in the language. A win win.

I would also revoke all citizenship to those who obtained it during the IBC scheme as it is undemocratic(79% of the Irish people voted against this).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A quick summary of other countries' dastardly processes.

UK 5 years. Language Test and citizenship test.
    Switzerland Foreign residents must wait at least 12 years before being eligible to apply for citizenship!

Germany: 8 years down from 15.
    Austria : 10 years and at authorities' discretion.
    Italy: 5 Years.

Good link on all EU countries.

is_that_so wrote: »
    A quick summary of other countries' dastardly processes.

UK 5 years. Language Test and citizenship test.
    Switzerland Foreign residents must wait at least 12 years before being eligible to apply for citizenship!

Germany: 8 years down from 15.
    Austria : 10 years and at authorities' discretion.
    Italy: 5 Years.

Good link on all EU countries.

Show us processing times of other countries then your post will be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

i have a smiliar problem to be honest, i want to gain dual citizenship. i am slovak citizen living here since i was 13 and thats five years ago now. the reasons why i want dual citizenship is because i am proud of being slovak, but i plan to live in ireland for years to come and i want to take an active part of the irish political life. for example i cannot vote in the general elections or referenda even though they will indeed affect me. do you know if i can get a dual citizenship here? because i couldnt find anything like that on any of the government's websites

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Show us processing times of other countries then your post will be relevant.

From your comments here you seem quite keen to ignore anything that doesn't conform with how badly you think everything here is done and that's fine.

Processing takes as long as it takes. I have naturalised friends from the Indian sub-continent who found the process here speedy and had no issue at all with it. Nobody forces anyone to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Mario007 wrote: »
    do you know if i can get a dual citizenship here? because i couldnt find anything like that on any of the government's websites

From the link above

http://livingingreece.gr/2008/03/18/how-to-acquire-eu-citizenship-through-ancestry-or-naturalization/

"It is imperative you consult directly with an official government authority in your homeland (not a friend, forum or other third party) regarding your country’s stance on dual nationality or dual citizenship with the target EU country before starting this process. If you do not, you risk getting misleading information and possibly losing your current citizenship."

I think it's more up to your homeland rather than Irish immigration.
    Either way contact Irish immigration and in your homeland whoever looks after citizenship there.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

From the link above

http://livingingreece.gr/2008/03/18/how-to-acquire-eu-citizenship-through-ancestry-or-naturalization/

"It is imperative you consult directly with an official government authority in your homeland (not a friend, forum or other third party) regarding your country’s stance on dual nationality or dual citizenship with the target EU country before starting this process. If you do not, you risk getting misleading information and possibly losing your current citizenship."

I think it's more up to your homeland rather than Irish immigration.
    Either way contact Irish immigration and in your homeland whoever looks after citizenship there.

thanks for that, i did write to irish immigration in march...still waiting for a reply but i will write to slovak embassy to ask them as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Mario007 wrote: »
    thanks for that, i did write to irish immigration in march...still waiting for a reply but i will write to slovak embassy to ask them as well
    For the Irish one if you're in Dublin I'd go in to them. They're on Burgh Quay. Bring a book. It takes a couple of hours with the queue.

• Advertisement

An Irish exam! The Irish lost interest in Gaelic right after it was no longer useful as a point of difference to the Sassenachs. The doctrine of gross exaggeration of minor differences is something we mastered centuries ago. So the foreigners should now be subjected to something the Irish rejected in large numbers after 1922. I can see it now, thousand of resentful citizenship applicants sitting like the Irish students of years gone by cursing under their breath about the uselessness of what they are forced to study. Let go of the past people it will get you nowhere. It was obvious to me that when the economy went tits up the ugly side of the Irish character would come to the fore. For the sake of the 70 million overseas could you curb it or we might be inundated with returnees from all over the world forced out in retaliation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Adams_002 wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks

2 years??? ive news for you its more like 3 ....

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Still playing the same old record - how terrible Ireland is to you, how badly things are done here, can you please start acting like a man maybe for once and get rid of the chip on your shoulder, or better go live in the land of the brave and free, because with your continued sense of entitlement about what you are owed by this country gives us foreigners a bad name, nobody forced you here so go if you don't like it, also you should re read some of your whining post, particularly the ones where you accuse Ireland of being a racist and xenophobic country, because it is YOU that is racist toward Ireland and its native citizens, giving you some thing that the US could not. So go back a bag, and man up.

The bad news in An Bord N Snip report is that they are recommending a reduction in staff at Immigration and Naturalization.

The usual way to speed up the progress is to visit the office of your FF TD (member of national parliament) usually know as MP in most English speaking countries. Explain to them that you like FF and they are the party that will save the country.
    You then make a "campaign" contribution 50 to 100 Euro (cash) do not ask for a receipt. Do not blatantly tie the contribution to your request for help in dealing with your application. Irish politicians have principles too. Take the approach that any little bit of help you could give me would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much it was a pleasure to meet you (shake hands). That should seal the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hasschu wrote: »
    The bad news in An Bord N Snip report is that they are recommending a reduction in staff at Immigration and Naturalization.

The usual way to speed up the progress is to visit the office of your FF TD (member of national parliament) usually know as MP in most English speaking countries. Explain to them that you like FF and they are the party that will save the country.
    You then make a "campaign" contribution 50 to 100 Euro (cash) do not ask for a receipt. Do not blatantly tie the contribution to your request for help in dealing with your application. Irish politicians have principles too. Take the approach that any little bit of help you could give me would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much it was a pleasure to meet you (shake hands). That should seal the deal.
    You'll need to add a lot more zeros to the end of those numbers if you think anything's gonna come of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If posters kept an eye on what isn't allowed by the charter (in particular the parts about not getting personal with other posters) as well as considering common politeness I could hand out less cards for idiocy. Complaints to me via PM or here.

Useful and relevant posts are of course still welcome in this thread. Post in either a helpful way or a way that will progress the discussion and move that forward. Otherwise don't bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

That sounds reasonable enough, Sovtek. I would like Ireland to bring in a similar test as America before one obtains citizenship. Maybe introduce an Irish exam too. It would prove the applicant has a genuine interest in Ireland and not just in on it for the benefits that citizenship brings. It would also spark a revival in the language. A win win.

I would also revoke all citizenship to those who obtained it during the IBC scheme as it is undemocratic(79% of the Irish people voted against this).

there would be abit of a problem there.

undemocratic, no, you are incorrect. it was not undemocratic despite the referendum which was held in the summer of 2004. there reason being, the law, prior to the "cut off point" January 2005 meant that all children born in Ireland were citizens by birth. The referendum changed Article 9 of the Constitution. The laws were changed shortly after the referendum and were to take effect as of January 2005. As you know, the IBC scheme only invited parents to apply for residency on basis of their child's citizenship (regardless how it was obtained). The cut off point was were the child was born in Ireland before December 2004.

as you know, most laws are not retrospective. as you know, 79% of irish people voted to allow the government to change the laws on this area. the law came into effect as of january 2005. it would be a complete and massive headache (ans millions in legal fees with certain supreme court cases and international humilation) to revoke the citizenship of children who are now 10 - 5 years old. revoking their citizenship WOULD NOT mean or even guarantee deportation of the said children or their parents as they have resided legally in this country for a considerable period of time, remain in employment and remain law abiding. (see dimbo & okuguke supreme court 2008)

The reality of the IBC scheme was to be a once off way of dealing with parents of Irish Born Children (thus citizens) who were born before the referendum or shortly before the legislation came into effect. Many parents were left in limbo after the Lobe case in 2003 and referendum. Many had stayed in ireland for many years, some legally, and some illegally, or were waiting on previous applicaitons to remain in ireland or had deportation orders issued. Whatever reason it appeared to the governement that it would be cheaper to allow them to stay than fae possible unsuccessful legal battles or implementing deportation orders. international pressure might not have helped either, bearing in mind it could in the future effect returning or descendant irish dispora.

It is simply a case of move on with this regard and ensure issues like this don't happen again

If anybody wants to still argue against the immigrants flowing in should look at page two of todays Metro! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

If anybody wants to still argue against the immigrants flowing in should look at page two of todays Metro! :pac:

Cliffnotes??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Carnivale!!!!!!

Advertisement