Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couch surfers refused entry to Ireland

• 08-07-2009 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

3 American backpackers were refused entry to Ireland last friday by an immigration official and sent back to Texas. I know they were only students and probably wouldn't have spent that much here, but in the midst of a recession don't we need all the revenue we can get. It's a bit Irish -considering they had €1300 to pay for flights home- to think that they wouldn't have enough money to stay two weeks.

Below is quoted from the Irish Times.
    ALISON HEALYTOURISM IRELAND has expressed concern at the decision of immigrant officials to refuse three Texan backpackers entry to Ireland. The all-island tourism body has written to the Garda National Immigration Bureau and the Department of Justice, expressing concern at the incident which happened last Friday.

It came to light yesterday when the Dallas Morning News reported the case. The three friends from high school had planned to use Ireland as a starting point for their year-long backpacking trip across Europe. However, they did not even get a chance to leave the airport building and soon found themselves on a flight bound for New York.

The men said they were told by immigration officials that they could not enter Ireland because they did not have an address for their accommodation and they did not bring bank statements to prove they could afford to travel.

The trio were planning to stay with people contacted through the website www.couchsurfing.com

Colin Zwirko (21), Gavin Sides (19) and Ben Whitehurst (21) all gave up their jobs to take the trip.

Mr Zwirko told The Irish Times the immigration official did not believe they had enough money to sustain their trip “which I can only assume led her to some outrageous conclusion about taking jobs away from citizens or something”.

He said the trio did not have a return ticket as they were travelling around Europe and had planned to spend two weeks here before taking a ferry to Scotland.

They told immigration officials they had thousands of dollars in their bank accounts and he offered to show the officials his bank balance online, but they refused to look at it, he said.

A Tourism Ireland spokeswoman said Ireland’s reputation as a friendly and welcoming place was “extremely important and not to be taken for granted”. She hoped any investigation into the issue was concluded urgently.

Mr Zwirko said he would come back to Ireland if an apology was offered. “We’ve been put off quite unreasonably, but the terrible handling of these governmental power keepers can’t take away from the beauty of the country and the apparent hospitality of the people there,” he said.

A Garda spokesman said the Garda National Immigration Bureau would not comment on an individual case, but all decisions were recorded and available should a refused person wish to challenge the decision.

He said only “a very small number of people” were refused leave to land at ports of entry in Ireland each year as most people were aware of the requirements of the immigration authorities.

“Refusal of entry to US nationals is particularly rare, which, in part, is accounted for by the fact that the requirements Ireland makes of visiting non-Irish nationals mirrors those made by the US immigration authorities in respect of non-US nationals visiting that jurisdiction,” he said.

The Dallas Morning News article attracted many online comments. While some comments criticised the men for not checking the regulations before travelling, others were critical of their treatment by the Irish authorities.

One person wrote: “I’ll make a note to not visit Ireland.” Another wrote: “These are nice, respectful, well-behaved young men and they would leave a great impression of Americans (Texans) on any country. Ireland owes them a great big apology and should make up for this terrible mistake.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

They were american "shadow" government officials trying to spread the swine flu imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If only they'd do this when The Killers try to come over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Would an Irish person be let into the states without a return ticket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If you're travelling you get the right documents you need to cross borders. Looks like these guys didn't bother doing any research on what they needed. I feel sorry for them, but they learned a lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Thats ridiculous.

Couch surfing is great though, even had a few american couch surfers staying in my apartment last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Does that mean that I would get a free trip to Texas if I show immigration one of my bank statements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

How can you surf with a couch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Holsten wrote: »

Chances are slim to none, if you look at a guard wrong they'll send you packing. :)The lads should have done their homework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Must have been trying to hit monthly targets!

They probably waved through Prince Olisembi from Lagos as he had a case full of bank statements :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

phasers wrote: »

Like this

http://www.papermag.com/blogs/couch-surfing.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

www.couchsurfing.com

Tis harsh, I've hears a good few complaints from yanks that Irish immigration is pretty harsh and it's all down to what money you have, shows where they Irish motives lie these days, but it's not like the yanks make it easy for anyone else going to their country. What goes around comes around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Strange immigration didn't ring their couchsurfing.com hosts. I've had phone calls from them before, checking up on people who were staying with me.
    The proposed surfers certainly should have had a number for the person they were staying with - unless they were not members of couchsurfing and were just winging it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Sizzler wrote: »
    Must have been trying to hit monthly targets!

They probably waved through Prince Olisembi from Lagos as he had a case full of bank statements :D

Classic!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

How could they not have the address of where they were staying? What was the plan when they went out of the airport? Wander up to a taxi saying "I met a guy on Couchsurfing. Take me to him"

How could they not have the address of where they were staying? What was the plan when they went out of the airport? Wander up to a taxi saying "I met a guy on Couchsurfing. Take me to him"

The guys were idiots. When I went to the US I hadn't booked a place to stay cos I was staying in a hostel. But i still put an address!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

I think we (authorities) should offer some form of compensation. We must preserve our image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ahara

Texans complaining about Immigration restrictions!? Its a bit ironic given the err, warm welcome they regularly give the average Mexican 'tourist'.

P.S. IMO anyone who uses the phrase "Its a bit Irish" should also be deported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

Holy **** is this a joke or something. Not only can you not move wherever the **** you want, even when you want to come visit part of your world for a year you are sent back. What kind of world is this?

gflood wrote: »
    I think we (authorities) should offer some form of compensation. We must preserve our image.

Image of what? Of a country that will let you wander in if you don't satisfy our immigration requirements. Most countries I've been to outside of Europe require you to fill in a form with your destination address. It's not a complicated procedure.

If feel sorry for the three guys but really, they were stupid. If Irish people arrived in US immigration and said I dunno where I'm staying we'd get exactly the same treatment and I don't think people would be posting here saying that it was the immigrations fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

ahara wrote: »
    P.S. IMO anyone who uses the phrase "Its a bit Irish" should also be deported.

Thanks, will you pay for my flights? I come from Aruba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

First Europeans complain about how Americans don't travel enough outside their own borders. Then, when Americans do attempt international travel, they get sent right back home. Make up your minds! :P

But seriously, the guys were idiots. They should have done their research more thoroughly.

markok84 wrote: »
    Thanks, will you pay for my flights? I come from Aruba.

Sorry, theres a recession on so the best I can do is get you a bus ticket to lovely Craigavon in Norn Iron. Have to admit thats a bit Irish of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I do feel sorry for them, but I doubt there are many countries that will let people in without a return/onward ticket, nevermind having no address of the place you're staying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

FFS,why didnt they just claim asylum and say that if they got sent back to Texas they would be persecuted by George Dubya' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I think the lady at emigration was watching too much Border Control on TV.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Totally agree, hundreds of Irish get refused entry every year:- Your passport expires in 3 months (but I am returning home tomorrow)!. You name is similar to a person wanted for crimes in the US. Really believe me it happens far more to Irish entering the US than for US guys entering ireland. And really come on fair is fair. Irish Immigration did the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Well they had credit cards with large limits plus a lot of backpackers dont find a hostel until they get to the city. Officials on a power trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I think the Irish immigration authorities were wrong in this instance and should offer a fully written apology via their local paper to them and compensate them for a ruined holiday and fly them over and give them a proper holiday not sleeping on a strangers couch!

I am in favour of strict immigration controls yes but these were only young students and American ones at that. Ireland is very dependent on America and this is no way to treat American citizens who took the trouble and expense to choose our godforsaken Island over way cooler European destinations.

This boils my blood as I had the misfortune to have something similar happen to me when I flew to Las Vegas via New York last year and got taken into the Interview room in Shannon and given a fierce grilling and interviewed for 3 quarters of an hour and after the calamity was over and I was eventually left through I only made my flight on the "Mr. netwhizkid" this is your final boarding call for flight DL123.

My reason for arousing suspicions? Money or rather the plentifulness of it, I was going to Vegas and had $3,000 and €2,500 in dry cash in my wallet and told them it when asked how much dosh had I. I immediately looked suspicious as if I was immigrating illegally and I tell you I was sh1ting a brick as to whether I would be left through or not and only for my total calm and polite attitude to them I probably would have been left through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I agree they should have been sent back , I highly doubt if i was to fly to the state's with a one way ticket that they would let me in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I think it's unfortunate particulary in our current economic climate, we don't need the bad publicity but I wouldn't get into America without a return ticket or an address of where I was staying. Think it's a bit rich they're making suck a big deal of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

netwhizkid wrote: »
    I think the Irish immigration authorities were wrong in this instance and should offer a fully written apology via their local paper to them and compensate them for a ruined holiday and fly them over and give them a proper holiday not sleeping on a strangers couch!

I am in favour of strict immigration controls yes but these were only young students and American ones at that. Ireland is very dependent on America and this is no way to treat American citizens who took the trouble and expense to choose our godforsaken Island over way cooler European destinations.

This boils my blood as I had the misfortune to have something similar happen to me when I flew to Las Vegas via New York last year and got taken into the Interview room in Shannon and given a fierce grilling and interviewed for 3 quarters of an hour and after the calamity was over and I was eventually left through I only made my flight on the "Mr. netwhizkid" this is your final boarding call for flight DL123.

My reason for arousing suspicions? Money or rather the plentifulness of it, I was going to Vegas and had $3,000 and €2,500 in dry cash in my wallet and told them it when asked how much dosh had I. I immediately looked suspicious as if I was immigrating illegally and I tell you I was sh1ting a brick as to whether I would be left through or not and only for my total calm and polite attitude to them I probably would have been left through.

Why should they issue an apology when the guys involved clearly did not read the rules? They were idiots. All they had to do was book a ticket to their next destination and they would have been fine. FFS they didn't even have to go if they didn't want to. All they needed was the proof that planned to move on. They clearly weren't playing smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

This post has been deleted.

Bloody americans! Go Canada!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Biting the hand that feeds us.

I only wish they stop the extraordinary rendition through shannon.

what harm were 3 texans going to do here.

Ya we gotta be real careful with all those American Citizens coming here illegally to take advantage of all the great opportunities :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Belfast wrote: »
    Biting the hand that feed us.

We're not fed by 3 idiot backpackers.
    Will the american companies will pull out of ireland because 3 backpackers didn't provide the correct information.

Arathorn wrote: »
    Ya we gotta be real careful with all those American Citizens coming here illegally to take advantage of all the great opportunities :rolleyes:

Ah sure we're only here for the craic and the guinness. You don't really need to fill in those immigration forms for Ireland. It's not like every single other country in the world, the rules are only a guide in Ireland. :rolleyes:

Has anybody who's outraged by this ever gone to the U.S. Get your fingerprint taken, and a photo and the third degree as if you're a terrorist, and that's if you do actually have an address to stay in and a return ticket.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

3 white middle class college kids from Texas could definitely be a danger to our country.

Good job runing their holiday and gratz on sending them home at great expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Its very popular off Lahinch. :D
    http://www.papermag.com/blogs/couch-surfing.jpg
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    We're not fed by 3 idiot backpackers.
    Will the american companies will pull out of ireland because 3 backpackers didn't provide the correct information.
    Yes if their daddies are the MD'd of HP or Intel.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

we cant just say dont bite the hand that feeds us. its simple, they had:

no return/onward tickets,
    no proof of funds and
    no address where they were staying

if anyone of us went to america and any one of the above wasn't in order, we'd be turned round and put straight back on the plane.

im sure they probably would have done no harm but dems d rules, its dare own fault for not readin em properly;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

E.T. wrote: »
    I do feel sorry for them, but I doubt there are many countries that will let people in without a return/onward ticket, nevermind having no address of the place you're staying!

Even E.T. knows about about the immigration laws!!

The boys were foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

dannym08 wrote: »
    we cant just say dont bite the hand that feeds us. its simple, they had:

no return/onward tickets,
    no proof of funds and
    no address where they were staying

if anyone of us went to america and any one of the above wasn't in order, we'd be turned round and put straight back on the plane.

im sure they probably would have done no harm but dems d rules, its dare own fault for not readin em properly;)

Yep. Immigration did the right thing by sending them back. Stupid eejits should have done more research/preparation before coming here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

idiots ....... from Texas?!

ur havin me on!

no return/onward tickets - they were backpackers who were gonna travel around europe, it wasn't like a 1 week holiday

no proof of funds - they all had credit cards and offered to log in to their online bank accounts to show they had about 10,000 dollars, plus they had to pay about €1500 for the flights home, obviously this is proof of funds

no address where they were staying - they were couch surfing and anyway they were backpackers lots of which just find the nearest hostel on arrival.

Also Irish travelling to America is not the same as Americans travelling to Ireland. The immigration officials are supposed to use common sense, its never a black and white decision. It's common sense that 3 American citizens are here for a holiday, to put money into our economy.

My own guess is that they gave a bit of cheek to the immigration officials which bruised their egos and so they sent them packing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Arathorn wrote: »
    no return/onward tickets - they were backpackers who were gonna travel around europe, it wasn't like a 1 week holiday

no proof of funds - they all had credit cards and offered to log in to their online bank accounts to show they had about 10,000 dollars, plus they had to pay about €1500 for the flights home, obviously this is proof of funds

no address where they were staying - they were couch surfing and anyway they were backpackers lots of which just find the nearest hostel on arrival.

Also Irish travelling to America is not the same as Americans travelling to Ireland. The immigration officials are supposed to use common sense, its never a black and white decision. It's common sense that 3 American citizens are here for a holiday, to put money into our economy.

My own guess is that they gave a bit of cheek to the immigration officials which bruised their egos and so they sent them packing.
    :D:D:D

Carlow52 wrote: »
    :D:D:D
    Were they black ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Ireland owes them a great big apology and should make up for this terrible mistake.”
    Eh, ok. Sorry yanks! :(

Belfast wrote: »

what harm were 3 texans going to do here.

We all saw the harm one Texan managed on his own, so imagine what three of them could do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Why don't you dress in a similar fashion to him

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Usama_bin_laden.jpg

& Test your theory.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement