Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couch surfers refused entry to Ireland

124»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Myself and a business colleague were pulled from the queue for NorthWest airlines into Minnesota because we were flying back out of New York and the return flight seemed "wonky" to them.

On arrival we were ushered in by armed police (as was everyone else), fingerprinted like common criminals and quized on why were were there and what the company we worked for was doing working with an American company.

When I voiced an objection that were being treated like criminals my mate was waved through and my passport was reexamined.

I have to laugh at this backpacker thing. Bloody hypocrisy.

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

This post has been deleted.

Dude I arrived in Canada earlier this year - let me tell you it's awful!
    The guy interrogated me for over an hour asking me the same questions again and again. He said 'when was the last time you've been in trouble with the police', I said 'never', he said 'I find that hard to believe'.He then THREW my passport across the table at me saying it was a 'piece of garbage' (It's a bit dogeared) I was crying by the time he let me go.Don't know if I got one of the worse ones but he was a major d1ckhead.

I then went down to America for the weekend last week. I Found their immigration to be much nicer people but they still make you do ALOT. They took fingerprints of every finger on both of my hands,and then get this, they SCANNED my eyes. Yes that's their new thing - they take an eyeprint to identify you, before they let you in.

That was me WITH all my proper documentation, who do those three idiots think that they are?

DeVore wrote: »
    Myself and a business colleague were pulled from the queue for NorthWest airlines into Minnesota because we were flying back out of New York and the return flight seemed "wonky" to them.

On arrival we were ushered in by armed police (as was everyone else), fingerprinted like common criminals and quized on why were were there and what the company we worked for was doing working with an American company.

When I voiced an objection that were being treated like criminals my mate was waved through and my passport was reexamined.

I have to laugh at this backpacker thing. Bloody hypocrisy.

DeV.

I experienced the same thing and when I complained I was told it was all in the cause of freedom. You can guarantee that if you or I were denied entry to the US we wouldn't have a hotel chain offering us a free trip back.

I love all the people both on here and other places giving off about the Immigration woman. No matter what airport you go to you are guaranteed to come across at least one customs officer on a power trip. Case in point on a rect trip to England myself and another guy flew over together
    At immigration on the other side there were two booth open, I queued in the line for the dreadlocked black gentlemen while the other guy choose the other line. When he got to immigration the woman stopped him, asked him loads of questions and sent him to another long queue where everyone in it was being questioned . When I got to Immigration the guy smiled at me, took a quick glance at my passport, apologisied for the slight delay and told me to enjoy myself. Nearly half an hour later my traveling comnpanion appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

RedmondM wrote: »
    Well, smarty-pants, did you actually look at the site, and look for the requirements for visitors who do not need a visa?

It says NOTHING about what is required from those visitors who don't need a visa.

No-where does it say: Bring bank statements, return tickets, proof of address, or such.

Compare that with the UK Border Agency;
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visitingtheuk/visitors/eligibility/
    To come to the United Kingdom as a general visitor you must be able to show that you:
    • only want to visit the United Kingdom for up to six months;
    • plan to leave the United Kingdom at the end of your visit;
    • have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without working, help from public funds or you will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;
    • do not intend to charge members of the public for services provided or goods received;
    • do not intend to study; and
    • can meet the cost of the return or onward journey.
    • do not intend to carry out business, sport or entertainer visitor activities;
    • do not intend to marry or form a civil partnership or give notice of marriage or civil partnership;
    • do not intend to receive private medical treatment during your visit , and
    • are not in transit to a country outside the Common Travel Area.

The hint is in 'probably start'.

Passive Aggressive is my favouritist Internet behavior...

I applaud the effort you took to blow up. *clap clap*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hippiewitch

As an American who is going to Ireland hopefully no later than March of next year,this concerns me. The part about the funds concerns me that is. I am now wondering how much funds they would want me to have in my bank account if I am going to be in Ireland for at least a month? I wanted to be there for at least three months but now I am not sure if I can very unfortunately. I would be able to provide an address of where I will be staying,and I will also have a return ticket. Is it absolutely required that I bring my bank statement as well? I have never flown internationally before. Thanks.

Michelle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

As an American who is going to Ireland hopefully no later than March of next year,this concerns me. The part about the funds concerns me that is. I am now wondering how much funds they would want me to have in my bank account if I am going to be in Ireland for at least a month? I wanted to be there for at least three months but now I am not sure if I can very unfortunately. I would be able to provide an address of where I will be staying,and I will also have a return ticket. Is it absolutely required that I bring my bank statement as well? I have never flown internationally before. Thanks.

Michelle

check it all up here

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Irish%20Visa%20Information

follow the rules and no problemo!

dont follow rules and expect to be deported as i would if i hadn't followed rules going to states!

Hope you enjoy yourself over here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

While I was going through immigration at JFK on my J1 a good few years ago there were two Irish lads refused by Immigration and last we all saw of them they were taken into a side room. Presume they were sent back.

Thanks. I'll follow the rules. lol
    muboop1 wrote: »
    check it all up here

dont follow rules and expect to be deported as i would if i hadn't followed rules going to states!

I have read that Americans don't need visas to visit Ireland. We just need a passport. Well of course we need a passport. lol And I was just concerned that I might have to save even more money for my trip to Ireland in case they want proof that I have enough funds to support myself without working while I'm there. Well,I will find out everything I need to know.

muboop1 wrote: »
    check it all up here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

prinz wrote: »
    While I was going through immigration at JFK on my J1 a good few years ago there were two Irish lads refused by Immigration and last we all saw of them they were taken into a side room. Presume they were sent back.

They've probably been on a water-boarding holiday in Gitmo ever since, all expenses paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

ScumLord wrote: »
    www.couchsurfing.com

Tis harsh, I've hears a good few complaints from yanks that Irish immigration is pretty harsh and it's all down to what money you have, shows where they Irish motives lie these days, but it's not like the yanks make it easy for anyone else going to their country. What goes around comes around.

It's probably retribution for what happened to that Into The West actor when he went over to attend the OSCARs a few years back
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    The guys were idiots. When I went to the US I hadn't booked a place to stay cos I was staying in a hostel. But i still put an address!

Surely you had booked to stay in the hostel?
    netwhizkid wrote: »
    My reason for arousing suspicions? Money or rather the plentifulness of it, I was going to Vegas and had $3,000 and €2,500 in dry cash in my wallet and told them it when asked how much dosh had I.

You are aware they have ATMs in the US, aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I have read that Americans don't need visas to visit Ireland. We just need a passport. Well of course we need a passport. lol And I was just concerned that I might have to save even more money for my trip to Ireland in case they want proof that I have enough funds to support myself without working while I'm there. Well,I will find out everything I need to know.

Tbh it's very unusual for an American to be turned back at customs even if they don't technically meet all of the criteria.
    I'd wouldn't worry too much, just check online and phone them if your uncertain of the rules.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They've probably been on a water-boarding holiday in Gitmo ever since, all expenses paid.

:pac: I remember we had to put an address down going into the States, anyone going through USIT generally puts down the address they give you. When I was going through also had to show immigration proof of a job offer, and we had to have a certain amount of cash on us going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Michelle

A return ticket within 90 days of entry and an address of the place your staying should be fine.

Rule of thumb, no matter what country your entering or exiting never get smart with the customs officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

My wife is American and as a result we have a lot of her relatives and friends from the US come to visit us.

From their stories I have come to the conclusion that immigration at Dublin Airport makes no sense whatsoever.

Take as a first example my wifes cousin and his wife. He's owns a restaurant in Cape Cod and his wife is a paediatrician at a Boston childrens hospital. They took three months out to travel around Europe. Dublin Airport immigration gave them the third degree, they were questioned for four hours. The GNIB were concerned at their lack of onward travel tickets - they did have them, but they booked separately with Ryanair and thus not linked with their US tickets on the GNIB system. The fact that they had plenty of cash and an address to stay at in Ireland didn't sway the Gards. They were only let in after the Gards called me and asked "Do you know these people?", I said "Yep" - and that was it, they were then admitted. They could have called me earlier as my number was offered to them.

Next take my wifes best friend - currently unemployed. She had only €500 with her for a two week stay. The immigtation officer not only only let her in with a smile, he even moaned that she had not visited sooner.

My wife talks of her immigration officer nemesis at the airport. Apparently he has a mean streak and seems to give her a hard time, even though she has a five-year unconditional stamp in her passport for being married to me. All the other officers just let her though without problems, even once when her visa was 6 months expeired.

On the flip side my experience of US immgration is pretty good. They are very strict, but I have nver once had any aggro. Even when going to get married as I was scared they would not let me in. He just waved me though without a care. On one other occasion an officer even tried to pick my brain about how to get stationed at Shannon airport - as if I would know!

Ireland needs a proper immigration service with a customer services charter thingy and at the very least - uniforms. A Man Utd jersey is not appropriate clothing for an immigtation officer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

grundie wrote: »
    A Man Utd jersey is not appropriate clothing for an immigtation officer.

What about an Irish jersey?

Ireland needs a proper immigration service with a customer services charter thingy and at the very least - uniforms. A Man Utd jersey is not appropriate clothing for an immigtation officer.

tbh I use the airport in Dublin an awful lot and I've never seen that. They are in uniform. Just because in the US every jumped up 'officer' from immigration to toilet attendant with any remote possibility of power whatsoever gets outfitted up in a uniform that looks like a Nazi Feldmarshal on passing out day there's no need to knock he GNIB.

Sully wrote: »
    What about an Irish jersey?

I have no problem with the jerseys team, it's more the fact that wearing sports tops/t-shirts/jeans etc doesn't look very professional.

In all the countries I've been too the immigration bods have either worn uniforms or shirt-and-tie at least.

I know it may sound like nitpicking, but if the immigration officers can't be bothered to get dressed smartly for what is a very important job, then I wonder about their attitude to that job.

tbh I use the airport in Dublin an awful lot and I've never seen that. They are in uniform. Just because in the US every jumped up 'officer' from immigration to toilet attendant with any remote possibility of power whatsoever gets outfitted up in a uniform that looks like a Nazi Feldmarshal on passing out day there's no need to knock he GNIB.

I have never once seen a GNIB officer at Dublin Airport in a uniform.

I'm not knocking the GNIB I just think that they could use some improvement.

For example:

- More consitency. Make sure all officers follow the same rules and decision making processes.

- Don't threaten me with arrest because I accompanied my wife and our baby son through the non-EU channel. It's not unusual for families to not want to be separated.

- Publish more detail on the web about what is necesary to get in to Ireland without problems.

- Recognise the Common Travel Area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

that's outrageous,what were the lads supposed to do; book a return ticket they would not be using just to appease customs here??!!stupid!

• Advertisement

I have never once seen a GNIB officer at Dublin Airport in a uniform.

:confused: At Passport Control they are almost always in uniform :confused:
    - More consitency. Make sure all officers follow the same rules and decision making processes.

That's not possible. They are there to make a judgement call on any given day with any person. You cannot make a rule over who they let through just because...:confused: It's the same in America, I got asked for proof of a job offer, my mate got asked to show them he had the correct amount of cash on his person. Just different call for different people.
    - Don't threaten me with arrest because I accompanied my wife and our baby son through the non-EU channel. It's not unusual for families to not want to be separated..

Separated? :confused: lol ok. Do you all go to the toilet together too? For the sake of 2 or 3 minutes could you not just go where you are asked to go.. and as for threatening you with arrest... no comment.
    - Publish more detail on the web about what is necesary to get in to Ireland without problems.

Everything is on the web.

that's outrageous,what were the lads supposed to do; book a return ticket they would not be using just to appease customs here??!!stupid!

Imagine that, obeying the laws of the land...... Simply outrageous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Imagine that, obeying the laws of the land...... Simply outrageous!

erm when the law in question is completely pointless and retarded, yeah it is!!

the fact is, the lads were travelling around europe, hardly that out-there and rare. it's not mad to expect them to have not booked tickets home, especially when they explained their route to the customs officials!

:confused: At Passport Control they are almost always in uniform :confused:

I have never once seen an immigration officer in uniform. When I pass though (once a month) most seem to be wearing a smart shirt and some wear t-shirts and on a few occasions football tops.

If you want to see real GNIB casual, try the Burgh Quay office. It's Topman t-shirts all the way.
    That's not possible. They are there to make a judgement call on any given day with any person. You cannot make a rule over who they let through just because...:confused: It's the same in America, I got asked for proof of a job offer, my mate got asked to show them he had the correct amount of cash on his person. Just different call for different people.

I've seen enough inconsistencies to be able to say that the current system could be improved. To give a doctor a hard time, yet not take any interest in an unemployed person makes me wonder what's going on.
    Separated? :confused: lol ok. Do you all go to the toilet together too? For the sake of 2 or 3 minutes could you not just go where you are asked to go.. and as for threatening you with arrest... no comment.

Our baby was ten weeks old, I really did not want to be separated.
    Given that all they do is glance at EU passports why was it such a big deal? And yes, I was forced to turn back and go through the EU channel.
    Everything is on the web.

But not in as much detail as the UK version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

the fact is, the lads were travelling around europe, hardly that out-there and rare. it's not mad to expect them to have not booked tickets home, especially when they explained their route to the customs officials!

if they didnt have a return, or onward ticket nor immediate proof of funds they were in violation. Try getting into the US under similar circumstances.

. To give a doctor a hard time, yet not take any interest in an unemployed person makes me wonder what's going on.

Some of the terrorist attacks have been carried out by doctors IIRC. Me thinks you'd make a much better immigration officer Mrs Bucket.

I have never once seen an immigration officer in uniform. When I pass though (once a month) most seem to be wearing a smart shirt and some wear t-shirts and on a few occasions football tops.

Last time I was there about 3 weeks back no one was wearing a t-shirt or football jersey. In fact having passed through 5 or 6 times this summer I have yet to see any immigration officer in a jersey or t-shirt.
    I've seen enough inconsistencies to be able to say that the current system could be improved. To give a doctor a hard time, yet not take any interest in an unemployed person makes me wonder what's going on.

Are you saying that unemployed people should be hassled and doctors allowed to just walk through. How do you know that the doctor wasn't acting in a suspicious manner which warranted immigration to stop and question them. Just because someone is a doctor does not allow them special treatment.

Our baby was ten weeks old, I really did not want to be separated.
    Given that all they do is glance at EU passports why was it such a big deal? And yes, I was forced to turn back and go through the EU channel.

What you are saying is that since your baby was 10 weeks old you feel that immigration should have given you special treatment. The rules are there for everyone not just those who feel like following them.
    But not in as much detail as the UK version.

90% of people who come through Irish immigration get through no problem. It is the small percentage of people who expect special treatment who get hassled. All the information you need is on the site and if after reading through it you are not 100% sure you pick up the phone and ring them.

Are you saying that unemployed people should be hassled and doctors allowed to just walk through. How do you know that the doctor wasn't acting in a suspicious manner which warranted immigration to stop and question them. Just because someone is a doctor does not allow them special treatment.

Err, I don't think I said anything like that. What I was trying to say is that all non-EU people entering Ireland should be treated equally. The officer should act objectively and fairly. My wifes cousin and his wife presented printouts of Ryanair bookings when they were accused (and they were directly accused) of attempting to enter Ireland to work. The immigration officer accused them of making fakes. Surely it isn't the hardest thing for immigration officers at the airport to verify these bookings before saying they were fake? Even if she was acting in a manner that aroused suspicion, I would have though the immigration people should have checked their facts and asked sensible questions before making such a mad allegation.

As for my wife's friend, she had no problems. The officer mad a judgement and obviously had no issues with her. But if immigration had pulled her in for extra questioning I would expect them to treat her fairly and objectively. Preferably by getting their facts straight and contacting her friends in Ireland before making allegations.

I know immigration officers have a difficult job and they have to make tough calls, but they should at the very least treat everyone fairly and have a courteous attitude. They are the first officials that visitors meet when they enter Ireland.
    What you are saying is that since your baby was 10 weeks old you feel that immigration should have given you special treatment. The rules are there for everyone not just those who feel like following them.

Again, I didn't actually say that.

I accompanied my wife thought the non-EU channel thinking it wouldn't be a problem. The exchange with the officer went like this: "Why are you in this line, you should be in the EU line?", "I'm just going through with my wife", "Do you want to get arrested? No? Then get back in the EU line" and with that I walked back to the EU line with baby. There was no friendly advisory before the arrest warning, it really went just like that. I wasn't expecting special treatment, I just didn't see how it would be an issue.

I could mentioned that the US authorities have no issue with my wife going through the non-US line with me. In fact US law specifically allows mixed US and non-US families to stay together through immigration.
    90% of people who come through Irish immigration get through no problem. It is the small percentage of people who expect special treatment who get hassled. All the information you need is on the site and if after reading through it you are not 100% sure you pick up the phone and ring them.

I think the last thing anyone wants when going through customs and immigration is 'special treatment'.

But I agree, most people don't have issues. However, I know of several people who have checked all the details and came prepared and yet still had problems. It's not so much that being checked is the issue, more the attitude. All a bit too gung-ho with a willingness to make accusations too early on in the process is the impression I get.

I do believe that the vast majority of immigration officers are dead-on and friendly, but a few could use some customer service training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Paparazzo wrote: »
    If they weren't idiots they would have had bank statements, had a ticket out of the country, and wrote down the name of a random hotel.

Yeah, the idiocy of them telling the truth!!

• Advertisement

Err, I don't think I said anything like that. What I was trying to say is that all non-EU people entering Ireland should be treated equally. The officer should act objectively and fairly. My wifes cousin and his wife presented printouts of Ryanair bookings when they were accused (and they were directly accused) of attempting to enter Ireland to work. The immigration officer accused them of making fakes. Surely it isn't the hardest thing for immigration officers at the airport to verify these bookings before saying they were fake? Even if she was acting in a manner that aroused suspicion, I would have though the immigration people should have checked their facts and asked sensible questions before making such a mad allegation.

Immigration look at each entry to the coutry on a person by person bassis. Obviously something was up with your wifes cousins, something was out of the ordinary and as such immigration detained them so as verify that everything was in order. Would you prefer if immigration simply opened the gates to everybody that wished to enter.
    As for my wife's friend, she had no problems. The officer mad a judgement and obviously had no issues with her. But if immigration had pulled her in for extra questioning I would expect them to treat her fairly and objectively. Preferably by getting their facts straight and contacting her friends in Ireland before making allegations.

All her paper work was obviously in order and as such immigration had no problem letting her enter the country.
    I know immigration officers have a difficult job and they have to make tough calls, but they should at the very least treat everyone fairly and have a courteous attitude. They are the first officials that visitors meet when they enter Ireland.

Immigration treat the vast majority of people with the respect that they deserve. If someone is giving cheek or being problematic then immigration are entitled to show the individuals the same lack of courtosry. I've seen first hand people generally Americans demanding to be allowed entry and saying things such as "Do you know who I am."

Again, I didn't actually say that.

I accompanied my wife thought the non-EU channel thinking it wouldn't be a problem. The exchange with the officer went like this: "Why are you in this line, you should be in the EU line?", "I'm just going through with my wife", "Do you want to get arrested? No? Then get back in the EU line" and with that I walked back to the EU line with baby. There was no friendly advisory before the arrest warning, it really went just like that. I wasn't expecting special treatment, I just didn't see how it would be an issue.

Of course it would be a problem. You are an EU citizen and as such have no place in a non-EU section. The rules are there to be followed you can't decide to ignore them simply because you don't think it will be a problem. If everyone followed your lead the airport would be in complete chaos. If you can't follow the rules which are posted all around the airport then you can only blame yourself when stopped.
    I could mentioned that the US authorities have no issue with my wife going through the non-US line with me. In fact US law specifically allows mixed US and non-US families to stay together through immigration.

I didn't realise that we lived in the US. Just because it's ok there does not mean that you do the same over here.

I think the last thing anyone wants when going through customs and immigration is 'special treatment'.

But I agree, most people don't have issues. However, I know of several people who have checked all the details and came prepared and yet still had problems. It's not so much that being checked is the issue, more the attitude. All a bit too gung-ho with a willingness to make accusations too early on in the process is the impression I get.

I do believe that the vast majority of immigration officers are dead-on and friendly, but a few could use some customer service training.

I have heard of people having difficulties with customs and 9 times out of time it is through their own fault. Most customs staff are just doing their job and are not trying to make anyones life miserable.

Immigration look at each entry to the coutry on a person by person bassis. Obviously something was up with your wifes cousins, something was out of the ordinary and as such immigration detained them so as verify that everything was in order. Would you prefer if immigration simply opened the gates to everybody that wished to enter.

That may be so, but they did come prepared with new passports, cash, onward tickets, credit/debit cards and the addresses of where they would be staying.

However, my issue is not that the immigration officers chose to investigate them, it is the fact that their attitude towards them was appaling. These two are the most chilled out people I know and nothing like the American tourist stereotype and I know for a fact that they would have said nothing to bring themselves any bother from immigration.

The immigration officer accused them of making false Ryanair bookings FFS! How ridiculous is that? They had my number, my wife was waitng in arrivals, yet immigration made no attempt to contact either of us and let us know what was going on. It was only after a few hours when the cousins suggested that it was time to get the US embassy involved did the GNIB decide to call me.

The GNIB officer may have had suspicions, but that was no excuse to treat the pair like that.
    All her paper work was obviously in order and as such immigration had no problem letting her enter the country.

And if they had problems I would have expected them to treat her with respect and not make ridiculous allegations.

Immigration treat the vast majority of people with the respect that they deserve. If someone is giving cheek or being problematic then immigration are entitled to show the individuals the same lack of courtosry. I've seen first hand people generally Americans demanding to be allowed entry and saying things such as "Do you know who I am."

I very much doubt that. They have to treat everyone with respect no matter how pissy they get. They don't want to risk legal action and the like.
    Of course it would be a problem. You are an EU citizen and as such have no place in a non-EU section. The rules are there to be followed you can't decide to ignore them simply because you don't think it will be a problem. If everyone followed your lead the airport would be in complete chaos. If you can't follow the rules which are posted all around the airport then you can only blame yourself when stopped.

Oh please!

Why was it such a big deal? All they do with Irish passports is glance at them, so why give me such a hard time for wanting to be with my family?

Was it really necesary to threaten me with arrest when a "Sorry, you can't use this line" would have done?

Don't you see what I'm getting at? Why do they have to force family groups travelling together to separate when they is no technical need to do so as EU passports are only glanced at.

My wife (US citizen) went to Hamburg at the weekend with our son (Irish citizen), they both came back throught he non-EU line. Are you suggesting a 12 week old baby should have walked through he EU line by himself?
    I didn't realise that we lived in the US. Just because it's ok there does not mean that you do the same over here.

We could learn a lot from the US immgration experience. They may be strict, but they provide plenty of info and are courteous. And they never go on petty work-to-rules to get their lunch paid for.

Most customs staff are just doing their job and are not trying to make anyones life miserable.

If that's the case what's with all that "blue flu" and making a line of EU passengers I was in wait for 20 mins whilst every passport was UV checked?

Most GNIB people are dead-on, but like any organisation there are a few proverbial 'bed eggs'. The GNIB and various stakeholder authorities could make the whole process much more pleasant and efficient if they only made the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Of course it would be a problem. You are an EU citizen and as such have no place in a non-EU section.
    Is there really a non-EU line? I thought it was EU and then another "all passports" line. I'm fairly sure I've used the non eu one a few times. I thought he only benefit of the EU line was that it moved faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is there really a non-EU line? I thought it was EU and then another "all passports" line. I'm fairly sure I've used the non eu one a few times. I thought he only benefit of the EU line was that it moved faster.

I might be wrong but isn't it an "all OTHER passports" line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

inforfun wrote: »
    I might be wrong but isn't it an "all OTHER passports" line?
    You could be right but I'm almost sure I've used it but it was empty at the time and I didn't want to stand in a cue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

erm when the law in question is completely pointless and retarded, yeah it is!!

Try travelling around the world and don't bring the documents you think are pointless and retarded and see how far you get.

• Advertisement
Advertisement