Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a CRN number?

Options
  • 08-07-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

This is a little embarrassing to ask (I used to sell comms) and I hope i'm in the right section. Short question is "What is a CRN number?".

Story is, I have the telephone with UPC and I have a tel number beginning with (01)442. I got this number from UPC originally. I live in Dub 13 in the (01)847 exchange area and want to switch the 442 number to eircom. This has been a bit of a battle over the past few days becaause some people in Eircom say it cannot be done due to the exchange, and some of them say it can be done if UPC release the number.

Anyway, I think they (Eircom) are in the process of doing the change over for me but they have asked me to get the CRN number from my UPC bill. I cannot find one. I rang UPC tech and the guy I spoke to hasn't a clue what a CRN is. I have the UAN which I gave to Eircom but I dont know what the CRN is. Any ideas? I need this done quickly because the UPC line has been down almost every day for over 2 months and there is no resolution. My business is suffering badly because of this fault.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

A pure guess would be "Customer Reference Number" ie: Account number?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Webmonkey wrote: »
    A pure guess would be "Customer Reference Number" ie: Account number?

No the customer account number with UPC is the UAN (universal account number) but thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

goz83 wrote: »
    No the customer account number with UPC is the UAN (universal account number) but thanks.
    How do you know that this is not what Eircom want?

I'd ring up Eircom to be honest and ask what exactly it is.

edit: Sorry you've already given that. Hmmm I don't know then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

There's an eircom PDF referring to unbundled lines which refers to a circuit reference number.
    10 Universal Account Number and Circuit Reference Number
    • The GLUMP service will require the use of a Universal Account Number (UAN) and a
    Circuit Reference Number (CRN).
    • As part of the eircom to OAO GLUMP order process eircom will supply the UAN as part of
    the ULMP completion notification.
    • The AS must ensure that the UAN and CRN are included on all OAO bills issued to the
    customer. Upon end customer request, the UAN and CRN will be communicated to the
    customer within 2 working days.

OAO bill is any retail telephone bill. So looking at my last bill, it would suggest that it's just the phone number, or one of the combinations including the phone number printed on the bill.
    It's something different for direct Eircom ethernet connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Eircom and PC were trying to port the number over. They usually can't/won't do this for different exchange numbers but I was such a pain in the ass they were obliging me. Why not? If big companies can keep their phone numbers even when they move to different parts of the country, why can't I??? The technology is there but they were just being ignorant and Eircom wanted a sale so they promised the sun, moon and stars until the line was put in.

So to cut a long story short, I negotiated a downgrade with UPC for my BB from 20meg to 10meg and a downgrade of channels and upgraded to a DVR box without install or downgrade fees. I agreed to keep the 442 number with them for the time being.

I cancelled the port with eircom and managed to squeeze a nice little business number from them. I couldn't avoid the fee of €21 odd though. The number is kinda like 01 *50 *000. Sorry i dont think im allowed to print the whole thing here but im happy with it all now. And th 10 meg aint too bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement