Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrofitting central heating with thermostats?

Options
  • 08-07-2009 5:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I've got an old'ish central heating system that doesn't have things like outside thermostats, thermostats on the hot water tank & an isolation valve on the hot water system. I'm wondering could I install these things myself? I persume you'd need a new control unit along with the above. Would there be any dangers involved? for instance if both the isolation values were shut down on both the tank & rads? Is there any other things like this I'd need to make sure about?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

first give the name and model of the boiler ... yes in junction with a time clock there can be a thermostat wired to the boiler , its just a case of running cable to your sitting room anywhere else wouldnt be worth the effort

to put a thermostatic cylinder valve on , will require you to drain down partially the heating system .. dangers apart from flooding oviously , causing sedement to build up at lower levels of the system causing the circulation of the system to be badly affected as its an old system i gather

an isolation valve on the hot water system ,,,,, firstly the isolation valve is on the cold feed to the cylinder from the storage tank . (never ever put an isolation valve on the pipe coming from the top of the cylinder . EVER) the cylinder fills from the bottom thats what trow people off ....

to do this u need to isolate the mains supply and drain down the attic storage tank , fitting the valve wouldnt be to much of a problem just be careful not to reef out of the pipes as you could damage the storage tank and the cylinder .

of the three things you mentioned the last on the isolation valve on the cold supply to the hot water cylinder is a no brainer and go ahead and do it if your confident .

the second one will require some knowledge of heating systems , if things go wrong for you here it could be an expensive lesson requiring chemically cleaning the heating system . ... but again it would be worth doing if u have a bit of knowledge

the thermostat ............ if she is and old bolier ild worry about the condition of the pcd to be going and messing around with it . i personally wouldnt bother with it , if the system is correctly balsnced , cleaned etc. it wont a great benefit to have really , not on an old system .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

to put a thermostatic cylinder valve on , will require you to drain down partially the heating system ..

Not necessary - a 'strap on' type cylinder stat will do.

I think the OP means zone valves when he mentions isolation valves. I get the impression that the OPs system fires up and just runs based on the boiler stat setting rather than the room/DHW temperatures. If that is the case then he could be wasting a lot of fuel. A new control unit is not necessary - a simple timer will do but obviously a two channel timer would be preferable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

Hi, yea. thats what i ment. Current system is:

boiler: Potterton suprima - 2 years old
    control unit - Sunvic Select XL - with 2 zones (hot water & rads)

currently theres only one zone shutoff valve - on the rads. What I was proposing to do was put a second one on the hot water system (oh, the bathroom rad is also fed from the hot water zone). I was also proposing to get a system that has an outside thermostat (for shutting off the rads when not below a certain outside temperature), also a strap on thermostat to the hot water cylinder & thermostat for the main living room.

For all this I guess I'd need a new controler unit? any suggestions on what one I should go for?

also, if I was just retrofitting a zone shutoff valve for the hot water system, what do I need to consider.

thanks!
    J

Advertisement