Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stupid question

• 08-07-2009 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

hello all,
    can someone help me out with these two questions:

When stopped at a traffic light and I'm about to move off. Do I check all mirrors and look over my right shoulder? What other scenarios would I look over my right shoulder to check the blindspot?

If I'm approaching 3 speed bumps each about 30 meters apart, is it ok to stay in 2nd gear for all 3 bumps without changing gears?

last question:) I'm stopped at the traffic lights. I would usually put the car into neutral and apply the handbrake and take my foot of the clutch. I have read other posters mentioning that they put the car into 1st gear, apply the hand brake and have the clutch down so they can move off quickly. Is it ok to do this in the test??

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

When stopped at a traffic light and I'm about to move off. Do I check all mirrors and look over my right shoulder? What other scenarios would I look over my right shoulder to check the blindspot?
    I'd really only check the blindspot when moving off from being parked (could be traffic coming), and when joining a dual carragieway / coming off a slip road. Should always check all mirrors when moving off from a stopped position.
    I'm stopped at the traffic lights. I would usually put the car into neutral and apply the handbrake and take my foot of the clutch. I have read other posters mentioning that they put the car into 1st gear, apply the hand brake and have the clutch down so they can move off quickly. Is it ok to do this in the test??

If you're going to be stopped for a short period, 10-20 seconds, then having it in first and ready to go would be alright, but if you're stuck there for a few minutes, put the handbrake on and into neutral and have a rest while waiting for the green light :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Thanks challengemaster!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

When stopped at the lights, if you're first, second or third in the queue, leave it in gear, handbrake on. Otherwise, out of gear. That's how I learned it.

As for the ramps, the gear you're in doesn't depend on how far you're going but on what revs your engine is doing. If you're reving too much, shift up. If the car's struggling to move, shift down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

There are no stupid questions when learning to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Shane_C wrote: »
    There are no stupid questions when learning to drive

Thank God, because Im gonna be blitzing this place when I get started lol:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement